We Deserve Stability with Saleh

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Boomer da G.O.A.T, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Boomer da G.O.A.T

Boomer da G.O.A.T Active Member

I was just having this thought today while reading Christopher Johnson's comments about the hiring of Coach Saleh. In my entire 30 years as a fan of this team, we have never had a long tenured coach. I don't think I've ever even fully realized the idea that a coach could be with a team for a full decade or more. The optimism of potentially hiring somebody and knowing that they will be a mainstay has always felt out of reach. And of course that makes sense, this franchise hasn't exactly been a winning team and you only tend to see your coaches stay if you...uhhh...win.

All that being said, I just got this chill in my body thinking maybe just maybe if we can right this ship, Coach Saleh could be that coach. I mean if the Bengals can give Marvin Lewis 15 solid years for going slightly over .500 maybe we can see the Jets at least give Saleh his full contract time :)

For reference, here are the current most tenured coaches. No surprise they are paired with the most functional organizations.

1. Bill Belichick (New England Patriots): January 27, 2000
    2. Sean Payton (New Orleans Saints): January 18, 2006
    3. Mike Tomlin (Pittsburgh Steelers): January 27, 2007
    4. John Harbaugh (Baltimore Ravens): January 19, 2008
    5. Pete Carroll (Seattle Seahawks): January 9, 2010
    6. Andy Reid (Kansas City Chiefs): January 4, 2013

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

That is definitely the plan. Hope it works this time!

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

What all of those franchises have in common is a sane and methodical approach to roster building.

4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

We definitely do. 10-15 years as our HC shouldn't be too much to ask.

5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

2 former jets coaches on that list including 1 that was fired and 1 we pissed off and quit lol

Boomer da G.O.A.T likes this.
  6. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

This drives me nuts...not that this is your point here, but so many times I hear this kind of argument that temas need to give their coaches more time, and constantly changing coaches brings failure.

But the truth is tenure doesn’t drive winning....winning drives tenure

get a winning coach and he will stay.

Marvin Lewis is kind of an anomaly in that he stayed for a long time but was very mediocre...never winning a playoff game in like 15 years....and looking back, keeping him that long did not yield the results they wanted...

A coach needs to EARN their tenure....by winning.

so here’s hoping Saleh and JD can bring that stability to the Jets!

7. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

This fanbase does deserve it. You are right.

I felt like it was possible in 2 other instances that I can remember and one potentially if all fell into place.

Eric Mangini - if Favre doesn't get hurt, the Jets make a good run in the playoffs and ends his career with the Jets. Mangini gets some credit and stays long term.

Rex. If they score in the 2nd half vs indy and go to the superbowl it would be hard to fire him. They were better his 2nd year, too. Tannenbaum did make it hard to sustain by being so aggressive and making shitty picks.

I did really like Herm and Pete Carrol here as well.

The potential is here now. I feel better about this coach/gm combo than I have since Parcells. A huge key to it is building through the draft by picking the right players...in JD we must trust!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Boomer da G.O.A.T likes this.
  8. Boomer da G.O.A.T

That's pretty interesting. Could say a couple things...

1. That great coaches can suffer if not given the right set of circumstances no different than a player drafted to the wrong team never reaching their potential. Meaning that the Jets haven't necessarily been bad at selecting coaches and evaluating their staff but just the timing didn't work out etc.

Or

2. We specifically are holding back the greatness of the people we employ. But it's so speculative and yet so convenient to place the potential blame there, how could we possibly know.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  9. Boomer da G.O.A.T

Yeah just for clarity. I agree tenure is earned, tenure doesn't on its own lead to winning. I was just in dream land about how nice it would be if we got a winner for real this time.

NCJetsfan and Jets79 like this.
  10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

And having a QB

11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Times, they are a changin.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

This is why I wasn't interested in any older coaches. The thing that has hurt the Jets the most over the years has been the lack of stability. Stability only comes with competent leadership and consistency. Saleh and Douglas could be together leading the Jets for 30 years if they wanted to. I'd settle for 10-15, but we have a chance to become a stable, successful, winning franchise.

LAJet and Jets-N-Terps like this.
  13. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Get good players and he will be here for a long time.

ouchy and Footballgod214 like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It takes more than just good players. The HC has to put them in position to succeed and have schemes that fit their talents, then he has to manage the games well, and be able to make adjustments. It takes at least good coaching, player development and good players to achieve success and stability.

#14 NCJetsfan, Jan 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    hornblower and Noam like this.
  15. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Exactly

those teams are some of the better run franchises ... the Steelers and Ravens particularly so. It seems like they are always in the playoff / contender bucket, and a down year for them might be like 8-8. When’s the last time those teams were 4-12?

if only we had that track record.

I think it comes from the top...good owners who know what they are doing, or are self aware enough to see that they don’t know enough and therefore hire qualified people and then get out of their way. Strong front offices who know player values and system fits....neither team plays in large free agents, they let players go if needed and draft replacements...the Steelers always seem to find great receivers, and not in the top ten. The Ravens always seem to find great LBs. etc.

I’m hoping that the Johnsons are finally learning this path....it seems like they’ve tried different things, and now have settled on JD as the lead voice in the room, and are letting him run the show.

I’m hopeful...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Good players didn't allow Freddie Kitchens to stay in Cleveland for a long time.

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Harbaugh won a SB with a guy that's a backup on our roster now.

Kryoptix and PJ4Ever like this.
  18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

They got good play out of that guy that year.

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

You saved me from typing that. Ya. Can't keep a coach unless his team wins, and his team can't win without good players. So in reality, it comes down to our really bad GMs.

Bad players, bad record, hello new coach.

Hopefully Joe Douglas breaks the curse. Here's to the next decade of good drafts!!!! (and Saleh!!!!)

hornblower likes this.
  20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Unfortunately it takes a lot more than that, as mediocre HC actually destroy the talent provided or at least never help maximize their potential