The Deshaun Watson Situation (POLL added for the potential price)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Jan 16, 2021.

?

What is the MOST you would give up to get Watson?

1. Just the #2 pick

24 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. The two 1's and 3 we got from Seattle

37 vote(s)
    27.2%
  3. The #2, Seattles first in 2022, our 1st in 2023

55 vote(s)
    40.4%
  4. More - just get it done.

20 vote(s)
    14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

They will need a starter in 2021, and the rookie might not be ready. They already ruined David Carr playing him as a rookie behind a bad OL They may be dumb enough to do that again, but I think they would likely want a veteran to start in 2021 and then the rookie take over in 2022.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I think they'd get a little more back then the 3rd pick.

3. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Yeah Sean Marks talked about nothing but culture and building the right way until he had a chance to get some stars into Brooklyn.

HomeoftheJets and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

Why not? I could see JD trading down, adding draft capital and then taking Lance just as easily as I could see him riding with Sam or taking Wilson at #2.

Noam and ouchy like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

They would, but it still would be a bad reflection on the Texans. Besides they'd need a QB, and the Jets could take the QB they wanted at #2 or trade out of the #2 spot and another team take the QB they wanted. I'd be shocked if they wanted Tua. He didn't look very good this year, and he had a lot more talent around him than Darnold did and better coaching. He has the hip injury and his arm is questionable.

6. NCJetsfan

I'm curious why. We know that JD likes trading down and adding extra draft capital. He might have Fields, Lance and Wilson rated closely, or may even like Lance better than Wilson and Fields for some reason. By trading down and getting extra draft capital, he could still get the QB he wanted and extra picks with which to build around that QB and help the D.

7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Market matters: https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/new...ick-cost-trevor-lawrence-money-171445563.html

This is about Trevor Lawrence, but similar point applies to Watson, who is not quite in Mahomes/Rogers/Manning category quite yet.

NYGANGGREEN likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

I totally disagree. Dak isn't even in the same area code as Watson. I wouldn't want Dak at all, even at bargain basement prices. Give me Watson or one of Fields, Lance and Wilson. Dak probably wouldn't sign for the reasonable contract that Watson would have, either.

Vida likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

Nonsense. We have plenty of draft picks!!! We can trade 3 draft picks and still have basically our normal allotment of draft picks over the next two drafts and still have lots of cap space. Saying that if we add Watson, we wouldn't have any talent around him is just flat out wrong. The only way that would happen is if JD spend every FA$ and all the top draft picks on D and ignored building around Watson. He isn't stupid. He isn't going to do something idiotic like that. We would have picks and cap space to build around Watson, and we already have two good OL and two good WRs.

10. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

I agree I said it does matter I didn't say it didn't lol other guys are saying that based on Rodgers and Henry but if Rodgers was in NY he would easily make more money based of endorsements and prob have more companies throwing money on him because of the market

11. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

That’s not how it works.

12. NCJetsfan

It could definitely hurt his career if he sits out, but if it's a matter of principle with him, I believe that he would do it.

I don't think there are a ton of guys that narrow their sights on the Jets, either. As I said I was just throwing that out there, but the Jets could give Houston the most in return, and not many teams could fit Watson under their salary cap. That gives an advantage to the Jets, as does having Saleh, if Watson truly likes him and would like to play for him.

Miami is definitely a better situation, but I don't think that's a possibility, as they would have to cut players just to get under the salary cap and be able to sign their draft class, and they'd have little or no wiggle room, and their OL wouldn't be much better than the Texans. He knows that the Jets could go a long way towards upgrading their OL between FA and the draft and sign a WR like Robinson or Godwin or Golladay.

I agree about the money not meaning that much. I think he will want to go somewhere where he likes and trusts the HC, GM and owner, and somewhere he has a chance to win and not be pounded because of a crappy OL.

13. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Dak is so underrated. He’s easily a Top 10 QB. Issue with Dak is health.

JetsKickAss and King Koopa like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Definitely. I think losing hurts, but I think being lied to by the owner, seeing O'Brien trade away Hopkins and top draft picks, playing religious men over better players, and possibly even racial attitudes would definitely make him more upset.

15. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

The NFL is growing into worldwide markets in a way that was just barely beginning as Manning closed out his career. Particularly in the UK, where (according to this site) https://yougov.co.uk/ratings/sport/popularity/american-football-teams/all
    the Giants are the most popular and most famous. The Jets are 8th most popular and 3rd most famous, despite their lack of success simply because of their NYC location. A young superstar QB would likely launch them up to 2 or 3, or even past NYG.

Manning had deals with luxury brands like Hublot (Swiss) as well as Panini (Italy) and Toyota (Japan).

Watson is with Rolex already but there is more internationally to come I would think.

Borat likes this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

That's a tough one, NC. If we still had #1 overall, I think I just hold on to it to my dear life and draft Trevor. It's a bit of a gamble as you say, but that beast is special. He may have even higher ceiling than Watson and on a rookie deal. That's 4 extra years (as compared to Watson) where you can use the CAP for two extra star players. No injury history to even think of (Watson had 2 ACL tears). Plus I don't think floor is low too. Heck, Watson may just be the floor here.

I am thinking back to his last game, that semifinal where Fields broke out for 6TDs. Trevor was under pressure all night, and still ended up with 400 yards and 2TDs. When he sits out, the team looks like shit, nearly loses to unranked opponent and loses to ND, the same team he easily pieced up when he was back. There is something special there, where he elevates the entire team. I just wouldn't entertain trading him at all. But ... it's not for the Jets to entertain unfortunately.

17. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Your options change like the wind... everyone on here sees your long winded well written posts and just rolls their eyes.

Literally 2 months ago wanted nothing to do with Fields and praising Lawrence to be a generational talent. To completely changing your mind and declaring Lawrence to being an NFL disappointment and Fields as the man. It’s just flat out hog wash you spew out and everyone knows and sees it. Your not fooling anyone. Your evaluation of players and prospects is comical and always taken with a grain of salt.

Here’s a tip when a player has been a starter for 3 years as a body of work in college or the pros for that matter and you evaluate that prospects/player and give a sound opinion and than completely change that opinion based on nothing. Your credibility is completely ruined.

18. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

That’s fine, I don’t even know if I prefer the Dak route (I probably don’t) but I was just throwing it out there as a possible option.

If Dak wasn’t coming off the crazy injury I think it would be a better discussion

I will say though that he’s pretty underrated. Last year and the games he played this year has been at an elite level for the most part. I’m not saying he didn’t have a good offense around him, but the offense under Dalton (who isn’t good but is competent) wasn’t close to it under Dak

Jets81 and NYGANGGREEN like this.
  19. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

coming off the injury scares me for sure

20. NCJetsfan

Yes, it would be a tough decision.

Think back on those 400 yards and 2 TDs. Did you ever see any real fire or leadership from Lawrence. Was he trying to fire up his teammates on the sidelines? No. He was always just sitting there calmly. From fairly early on, I never really felt like Clemson had a chance in this game, and I was rooting for Clemson and looking for some sign of a spark from them. I'm sure not having their OC hurt them, but imo Lawrence should have been able to rally his offense and I just never saw any sign of that. That concerns me.

JetsKickAss likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.