The Deshaun Watson Situation (POLL added for the potential price)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Jan 16, 2021.

?

What is the MOST you would give up to get Watson?

1. Just the #2 pick

24 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. The two 1's and 3 we got from Seattle

37 vote(s)
    27.2%
  3. The #2, Seattles first in 2022, our 1st in 2023

55 vote(s)
    40.4%
  4. More - just get it done.

20 vote(s)
    14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The reason I asked the Lawrence plus 2 first round picks question is that Joe Douglas has to take all possibilities into account, like the unthinkable scenario of Urban Meyer drafting Fields at 1 and leaving Lawrence for the 2 pick. This assuming the Watson trade would happen prior to the draft, which it probably will if it happens.

He'd have to weigh that possibility alongside the possibility that while the Texans have managed every aspect of their franchise the wrong way, what if there is also some diva going on with Watson and after trading 3 first rounders for the guy, he ends up being a problem for the Jets and holds out in 2 years demanding another trade.

A screwup of that magnitude would probably end with Douglas getting fired and never getting another GM job for the rest of his career.

And while this scenario seems unlikely, it is possible. Devil's advocate and all.

Red Menace and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Although I would love to have Watson, and believe it's the best move the Jets can make, I really don't think Douglas is thinking in those terms:

https://nypost.com/2021/01/19/robert-salehs-first-official-words-as-jets-head-coach/

"There are no shortcuts to success,” Saleh said, “and I am committed to working with Joe to build this team the right way: with talented players that play fast and smart, and a staff that supports and helps develop them through it all."

The dream was nice while it lasted.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You only thought this up because you're a true Jets fan.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Seriously? SMH He's a top 5 QB in the NFL. He's the most accurate passer and led the league in passing yards. The Texans aren't going to give him away. A FQB is DEFINITELY worth 3 #1 picks even with one of them being #2 overall. That's how important the QB position is. Watson is only a malcontent because the owner of the Texans is even more stupid than Woody Johnson and has screwed the team up royally. He kept Bill O'Brien too long and gave him too much power and he traded away their best WR and too many draft picks. That team needs to rebuild and doesn't have the draft picks to do it would be 5 years or more before that team would be competitive again even with Watson.

Why wouldn't Watson succeed here? We already have better WRs than the Texans and a better OL. We have a ton of cap space and would still have a 1st round pick this year and next. The only year we'd be missing a draft pick would be 2023, or if we had to throw in our 2nd round pick this year. Watson is absolutely worth it.

rickjet and bicketybam like this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If Douglas plays it safe, and the Jets end up repeatedly going 8-8, he's also going to get fired after a few years and probably not get another GM job. That's how it is in the NFL, you either win or you're out. Maybe you can stick around an extra couple years by playing it safe, but the only way to keep your job in the long run is to build a perennial playoff team.

6. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I don’t think it’s a shortcut, nor do I think Saleh or Douglas would consider it one. You could have done it with Jamal Adams and less draft picks if he wanted to stay, you can do it with all the draft picks you have, or you can do it with Watson. The process is important, and their are different actions you can take within that process.

Snatch Catch and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I don't think Saleh's quote has anything to do with Watson. And you can absolutely build the roster sustainably while also trading for Watson. Shortcuts are more like signing Cousins or trading for Mack.

rickjet, PJ4Ever and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. ProfJets

ProfJets Well-Known Member

I don’t think that quote really has anything to do with the Watson situation; it’s boilerplate stuff any new HC might say.

Snatch Catch and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

I have to totally disagree with you. Watson is totally worth 3-1st round picks. We'd still have picks in every round this year except the 7th and still have an extra 3rd, would have picks in every round next year, and would only be missing our 1st round pick in 2023. In return, we get the most accurate QB in the NFL, a top 5, if not top 3 QB who led the league in passing yards this year with scrub WRs, and who is only 25 and a great leader. We'd still have a ton of cap space too. JD could still trade down and garner additional picks, and we could trade Sam for a pick or picks. Every team has holes. JD could just prioritize where our holes aren't, and we could be a playoff team at least by 2022 and maybe even 2021. You don't pass up an opportunity like this.

In addition, our getting him could keep Miami from getting him, and then we'd keep getting pounded by both Miami and Buffalo for the next 10 years.

rickjet likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

Exactly. Certainly not all, but imo most of the posters who are against this are either posters who don't value the QB position, period, or who are somewhat hypocritical in that they would have had no problem having to trade up for a QB in 1-3 years once we had built up the team. It definitely would have cost that much or more to trade up in 2-3 years, maybe even next year, and that's if we found a team that was willing to trade down. That they would be against this shows how unrealistic they are about the value of QBs.

11. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

I don't think this has anything to do with complete roster building, and more to do with the fact that you work bloody hard to get your rewards.

He's a guy who will put 110% to help you succeed in this league, and will request the same effort from any player. No shortcuts

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. abyzmul

Yeah, whenever my mind is in Jets mode I am constantly thinking about what would be the most-Jets scenario ever, then I think about how it could get worse.

KWJetsFan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

Again, I disagree. He was promised that he would be involved in the search. After all he is the face of the team and the team leader and the owner totally screwed the team and Watson by giving O'Brien so much power and allowing him to trade away all the draft picks and their best WR. I don't blame Watson at all. Why should he stay there with a lying, incompetent, moronic owner and waste his career in futility?

rickjet and Snatch Catch like this.
  14. abyzmul

You're thinking in binary, must be them stars in your eyes.

15. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

One can dream.

K'OB likes this.
  16. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

The Jets fleeced Seattle and they wanted Adams to win now. I don't see the Jets in the same situation as Seattle at all.

I'd like to see JD try something innovative. Players (Darnold, Moseley not Q or Becton) and picks, maybe keep their salaries with the Jets effectively reimbursing the Texans for Watson's cap hit. I have no idea if that's even permissable, but I want to retain at least a first in each of the next 3 years. If they want a pure picks then they can have the #2 (which I value as 2 ordinary firsts plus change), one first next year (take your pick) and some chump change like Pitt's 6th next year. I don't see that the Texans will have enough leverage to demand something excessive and not many teams have the picks and cap space to really give them it.

REVISion, NCJetsfan and Br4d like this.
  17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The idea of giving the Texans talent minus the cap hit as part of the trade is brilliant.

MoWilkBeast and REVISion like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

No, not at all. Watson likes Saleh. We have a great LT in Becton and a better OL than the Texans. We have Crowder and Mims, a ton of cap space and would still have a bunch of draft picks to build around Watson. It would only be like the Texans if JD and Saleh turned around and signed a bunch of defensive FAs and used the top draft picks on defense and didn't build around Watson.

rickjet likes this.
  19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

+750 actually sounds about right. About 12% chance he will end up with us. Miami listed at 13%, which I understand as well, since while think we can put together a better package, there is still a question mark whether Watson would want to go to the Jets when it is all said and done, if he knows Miami is in play, and they are a 10 win team already. And it also makes sense that Texans would do everything they can to keep him out of AFC. Additionally, who knows, they may hire Eric Bienemy and patch things up with Watson.

The bottom line is, while the chances are much higher than we ever imagined at 12%, overall it is still VERY unlikely to take place I am afraid (88% chance of that). Fun to discuss though :)

REVISion and HomeoftheJets like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

They don't have any leverage. Watson has the leverage. I'm sure the fanbase is already ready to run the owner out of town for the O'Brien fiasco. They need to rebuild and don't have the draft capital with which to do it. I'm sure the fanbase would be upset to lose Watson, but if they got the #2 pick where they could draft their future QB, and additional 1st round picks and maybe Darnold, that would help the team be able to move forward with a rebuild rather than spinning their wheels for the next 2-3 years.

NoodleArm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.