Rex Ryan on ESPN declared he is a Jets fan

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

FFS Jerome Bettis was killing us ...

2. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

if Rex had had a good (not even great, just good) QB during his tenure we would likely have won a SB - people going on about Bellicheck - how is it working out for him without Brady?

Coaches are about 30% (at most) of the equation - it is all about the QB and if Rex had had a good one we would be singing his praises for all time

REVISion and Brook! like this.
  3. He just needed a better Offensive staff & to stay out of the draft room. Yeah his act started to go stale but he was smart enough to switch things up moving forward.The team & Idzik just sucked

rinvesto likes this.
  4. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Rex was a poor evaluator of talent. The Jets went down hill in large part b/c the players he wanted drafted were not good.

5. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Sticking with a QB for too long, hoping he will get better.....hmmmmmmmm.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

REVISion likes this.
  6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Bettis? He retired long before that game. Maybe you mean Mendenhall.

7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

This. Once Rex left I realized why everyone other than our fans disliked him but man those years with him were the most fun I can ever remember having as a Jets fan. Not even close.

dmw likes this.
  8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

And by the way, I listened to this segment about Watson, and Rex had to mention of course that he never had a franchise QB :)

9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Our team was not too good back then....I think we snuck in as the last WC with a 9-7 record both times. But Sanchez balled out in the POs. He became our best PO QB ever. It was actually Rex's D that let us down both times. Which was sad after the way they played the week before knocking Brady out of the POs.

10. REVISion

Sanchez averaged less than 200 yards per game and less than 2 TD's per game in the playoffs in 2009/2010. The team won despite him, not because of him. The Jets had a top running game and defense both years. Sanchez was similar to Sam in that the best you could hope for was that he didn't kill you with multiple interceptions. He managed to avoid the multi-int games in the playoffs but he wasn't exactly lighting it up in terms of yardage or TD's.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  11. Footballgod214

Ya I get it. But over his 4 road playoff wins, Mark had the best QB rating of any Jets QB in our PO history. Now, we haven't had too many QBs playing in a playoff game, so there's that too. Kinda like Namath..he didn't really do much that game either. It was our D and running game that won the SB.

REVISion likes this.
  12. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

Now let's go get a God damn snack!!![​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Jets were 11-5 in 2010.

14. Footballgod214

Guess I was thinking of '09 when Rex declared us out of the playoffs, only to sneak in a week later. Something like that! It was ten yrs ago! (as you know!)

15. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Rex is like the cool uncle. Always liked him. I think he got destroyed by Tanne/Idzik after those incredible runs to the AFC championship. His D straight up intimidated the best QBs ever in Peyton and Brady in the playoffs.

He wasn’t polished and didn’t always say the right things but man his players would run through a wall for him!

16. REVISion

The classic guy where you love him when he's on your team and hate him if he's on any other team.

17. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Rex reminds me of one of our little league coaches

he’s a loud annoying ass and we know it, but when we travel, he’s our asshole and other teams parents and fans have no right calling him names because he’s our asshole

PS
    Rex was fun and only other excitement I’ve had since 10-1 Start was him and Parcells.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The fault falls on the GM of course. But I think it's pretty obvious that Rex was considered a near god for the AFCCG appearances and they started letting him make draft personnel decisions. Idzik was the pawn to clean the cap up and gather draft picks but the picks reeked of Rex starting with the Louisville slugger.

Not that I expected differently when Woody made a bunch of mandates revolving around keeping Rex, trading Revis, etc.

Rex was fun. I think he can still coach a veteran team to the 8-8/11-5 range for a similar time period and maybe longer with a franchise quarterback. The guy has zero clue how to use or develop young talent though so he'd need an experienced staff. I could see him getting another shot. His ability to fire his team up and overall likability would probably keep him at .500 because of the emotional highs he can get teams to ride with him. What a rollercoaster 2013 was.

19. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I'll always be a big fan of Rex. He was the last guy I thought made the Jets feel important. And until hopefully proven otherwise, he's the best Jets coach in my lifetime. His bravado and attitude was perfect for a team that was good, it stopped working when the talent dipped. I was prepared to follow him to Atlanta and make the Falcons my second favorite team. Couldnt follow him to the Bills though.

I understand he had to go, and he isnt coming back to coach or anything. Having said that, I'd love to find him a place somewhere in a Jets setting unrelated to the on field product (SNY TV, back office something, consultant).

20. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Rex's ability to coach winning football fell apart when the CBA took all the physicality out of the practice schedule. Yes, the roster got old, lacked any kind of depth, and the cap situation crumbled--but fundamentally, the CBA ruined Rex.
    After the Summer of 2011, there were fewer off season practices (went from 14 down to 10), no more "two-a-day" practices in training camp, and a maximum of 14 regular season practices in pads.

Some teams figured this out quicker than others--Rex was/is devoted to an extremely physical brand of football, and he never figured out how to coach that without guys hitting each other. While there were other factors at play, his inability to adjust to predominantly contactless practice is, in my opinion, why he was never able to get back to the post season with the Jets nor the Bills, and why he never got another shot.

NCJetsfan and stinkyB like this.