The Deshaun Watson Situation (POLL added for the potential price)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Jan 16, 2021.

?

What is the MOST you would give up to get Watson?

1. Just the #2 pick

24 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. The two 1's and 3 we got from Seattle

37 vote(s)
    27.2%
  3. The #2, Seattles first in 2022, our 1st in 2023

55 vote(s)
    40.4%
  4. More - just get it done.

20 vote(s)
    14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

There's never been a situation where the Jets, or any other team, has traded for a 25 year old elite QB because teams don't trade away 25 year old elite QBs. Trust me, this is the only thing I'd be willing to deviate from the long-term building plan for. Also, we can absolutely still build for the long term even after trading for Watson. We'll still have the rest of our picks this year, and we'll still have a first rounder next year. Going forward, we can even adopt the Belichick approach of trading down to stockpile more picks, I'm all for that.

Also, you say you're willing to ensure 2 years of shitty QB play for sustained success after that. Okay, I am too. But in order to have real sustained success, we'll eventually need an elite QB. And in 2 years from now, where are we going to get him from? Are we just going to assume that in 2 years, there will be a future elite QB ready for us to take? Odds are if we go down that path, we'll end up reaching for a QB, that QB will be mediocre or even a bust, our young core will get old and expensive, and we'll be back to square one.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Is the trash talking forum still in play? You should challenge said goober like you used to.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the Jets lose for two years with Watson at QB he's going to want out in the worst way and we know what he does when he wants out.

It's a trap. It's a giant shitty SOJ trap.

BTW, we're probably pretty safe here in any case. I would be shocked if Watson is using the Jets as anything other than leverage to get the Fins to make an offer that the Texans will accept.

He's no dummy. He knows the Jets would be a disaster in the making for him with very little upside.

Longsuffering88 likes this.
  4. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Yes, not to mention there will be 20 teams lined up putting in bids with 3 first rounders. We hold the ace in the hole. The #2 pick. They can get whoever they want besides TL.

5. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I saw this floating around on Twitter so I thought I'd share since visuals are nice.

The scenario in the tweet has the Jets landing Watson for the 2nd overall pick, 66th overall pick, Seattle's 2022 1st, our 2022 second, and our 2023 1st. According to Albert Breer, the Jets asking price for Sam Darnold is two 2nd round picks so let's assume they get one 2nd round pick in 2022. That replaces the pick we traded for Watson. The Jets now have 21 picks through 2023 and the only round they're missing is the 2023 1st, which should be a late pick given you've spent two years building around Watson.

In 2021, the Jets will have around 65M in cap space if they trade for Watson and make the anticipated cuts (GVR, Lewis, and Henry Anderson). A restructure with Crowder could also add some more cap relief this year but I'll leave that off the table for now. That's 65M to sign our rookies and make impact FA signings like at positions of need i.e. WR, Edge, or IOL.

So the end result of a Watson trade is 7 picks per year for the next 3 years, only missing 1 pick in the 1st round in 2023 and 65M in cap to build the team. If Joe Douglas is everything he is said to be, trading for Watson is a no brainer.

#485 NYJFOREVER, Jan 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    BrooklynJetsFan and dawinner127 like this.
  6. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

He already has a Mohames contract, his is actually better. He averages more in his next 5 years than Mahomes averages in the first 5 years of his. Watson is actually the most well compensated player in the NFL, Mahomes just accepted a backloaded 10 year contract to make it look bigger. Watson won’t have grounds to ask for an extension for at least 3-4 years, and even if he does at that point it will basically be in line with Salary cap growth.

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

You're imagining the worst case scenario if we trade for him. If we're sticking with worst case scenarios, imagine one in which we don't trade for him, he goes to Miami, and the Dolphins and Bills dominate the AFC East and keep us out of the playoffs for the next decade. We'll see though what Watson wants. I wouldn't be surprised if he prefers Miami, but maybe he really likes Douglas, Saleh, and New York City. It isn't like Miami's a model franchise either.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't think Watson would get what he was looking for out of the Fins either. I share Abyzmul's view that Watson is about to become an NFL nomad playing for at least two more teams in his NFL career.

It would be ironic though if the Fins and Texans agreed to a deal where all the Laremy Tunsil proceeds went back to Houston for Watson - making the deal Tunsil for Watson and Bill O'Brien going down in flames in the process. Then in a year or two Chris Grier gets fired and the cycle is complete with two franchises in flames around cotton candy superstar trades that vanished too quickly in the mouth.

9. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

The hell with Watson when we can have the likes of Dee Milner, Darron Lee, Quintin Coples or Calvin Pryor over the next several drafts.

NCJetsfan, Jets79, Vahncase and 5 others like this.
  10. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Louder for the people in the back: Deshaun Watson is not demanding out because the team is bad and they only won 4 games.

He's asking out because the ownership and front office is on some next level bullsh*t that pushed him beyond simply keeping his head down and cashing his checks. Unfortunately, most players in the NFL don't have the power to stand up to the ridiculousness that the McNair family cultivates and they just have to go along with it if they want to earn their living. Deshaun Watson has the uniquely earned ability to not comport himself the way Houston management wants, and he's using that negotiated power as he should.

He had always been a "keep my mouth shut" kind of guy - a guy that never commented on anything and just played the middle - and the fact that the McNair family pushed him to this point speaks volumes.

Watson is not a primadona. The idea that he's "pulling this" because he's upset about wins and losses, or that he's somehow a locker room cancer/malcontent that is just trying to get away from the team is nuts. He's respected at the highest level by everyone, and this recent news has nothing to do with football directly.

11. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

The complete list of the 43 QBs the NY Jets have drafted during their existence.
    We are futile at picking QBs, but the entire league has difficulty over the decades.
    My point, if we have a chance to get a top 5 QB, who is young and proven, We Need To Do It!!!

2020 James Morgan (4th)
    2018 Sam Darnold (1st)
    2016 Christian Hackenberg (2nd)
    2015 Bryce Petty (4th)
    2014 Tajh Boyd (6th)
    2013 Geno Smith (2nd)
    2011 Greg McElroy (7th)
    2009 Marck Sanchez (1st)
    2008 Erik Ainge (5th)
    2006 Kellen Clemens (2nd)
    2006 Brad Smith (4th)
    2003 Brooks Bollinger (7th)
    2000 Chad Pennington (1st)
    1997 Chuck Clements (6th)
    1994 Glenn Foley (7th)
    1992 Jeff Blake (6th)
    1991 Browning Nagle (2nd)
    1990 Troy Taylor (4th)
    1987 Bill Ransdell (12th)
    1984 Ken Hobart (1st) supplemental draft
    1984 Turner Gill (3rd) supplemental draft
    1983 Ken O'Brien (1st)
    1979 Dan Sanders (11th)
    1978 Pat Ryan (11th)
    1977 Matt Robinson (9th)
    1976 Richard Todd (1st)
    1976 Dave Buckley (12th)
    1969 Al Woodall (2nd)
    1967 Bob Biletnikoff (17th)
    1965 Joe Namath (1st)
    1965 John Huarte (2nd)
    1965 Bob Schweickert (4th)
    1965 Archie Roberts (7th)
    1964 Dick Shiner (20th)
    1964 Jerry Rhome (25th)
    1963 Bill King (7th)
    1963 Pete Liske (15th)
    1963 Ron Vander Kelen (21st)
    1963 Mike Taliaferro (28th)
    1962 Sandy Stephens (1st)
    1962 Mel Melin (6th)
    1962 Wilburn Hollis (13th)
    1961 Howard Dyer (24th)
    [​IMG]

Jets79 and Brook! like this.
  12. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

this is cold hearted ice pick to the heart

love it

you win the thread

rickjet and Lon Chaney like this.
  13. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Nice putting it in perspective, holy hell that list is disgusting.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Greg McElroy turned out to be a good broadcaster and should be in contention to take that MNF job. So we got that going for us.

NCJetsfan, NoodleArm, Acad23 and 3 others like this.
  15. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

16. Longsuffering88

Just think

slightly ot

packers went from Favre in about 93 to Rodgers to present day

28 straight years of FQB

amazing- can u imagine?

(But only 2 titles)

Jets79 likes this.
  17. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Probably the post of the year tbh. Comes full circle too.
    Look it’s all about the price. I said from day one after Gase got canned we trade back at 2 and get rid of Darnold. Stockpile premium pieces and then drop a FQB into a good situation just like KC did with Mahomes. Tyreek, Kelce and Fisher were all in place plus Mahomes sat a year and developed behind a vet.

Then Watson became available..... here’s my take. I think this will come down to the price and how much the Texans like Fields. I think what we can afford to give up and not disregard all the holes you mentioned at RB/OL/WR/DB/Edge is one of 2 deals.

First.
    1st Sea + 1st Sea + 34 + 3rd Sea for Watson. This still leaves us #2 where we can trade back and attain assets to build around Watson. This is basically the Texans getting the 3 firsts they want as 34 + a 3rd could get you back in the first round if you needed the 5th year option.

Second. #2 + #23 for Watson. If we could move up for #2 + #23 we would do it to upgrade the most important position in the game. Then I look at it as moving up for Watson with a bit more cash involved.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

I think you're greatly exaggerating this stuff though dude and Watson is looking at the teams outlook for the next couple years more than anything. He can throw all this stuff out there now because he's well paid and will be extremely sought after but the ownership isn't that bad if you look at the body of work.

They've won that division six out ten years. He's big into social justice and such and they hired a white GM over the two black GM's he wanted. They also didn't interview either black coach he wanted them to interview. I think that also plays into it a lot.

19. Longsuffering88

He’s into social justice?
    Like burning down police stations to the ground with zero repercussions?

Hard pass

I’m entitled to my opinion. Not political.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

Send that stuff to the political forum. I wasn't trying to make it into a pissing match about right vs. wrong in terms of ideology. But we can draw some logical conclusions about what Watson wanted.

NYGANGGREEN likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.