The Deshaun Watson Situation (POLL added for the potential price)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Jan 16, 2021.

?

What is the MOST you would give up to get Watson?

1. Just the #2 pick

24 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. The two 1's and 3 we got from Seattle

37 vote(s)
    27.2%
  3. The #2, Seattles first in 2022, our 1st in 2023

55 vote(s)
    40.4%
  4. More - just get it done.

20 vote(s)
    14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

interesting thought. for the people saying 3 1sts are too much to give. would you have traded jamaal and a 1st for watson?

2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I posted it, and the response was, which I agree with, is don't get the hopes up :)

Now, one point to keep in mind here, even if it is 3 first round picks in 3 years, there is almost no impact in the next year - 2021. Next year Watson is still on rookie deal, owed 11 mil. If we drafted a rookie QB, that's 6-7m. If Sam is a part of the package, that's another 4m off the books. Of course there will be impact in 2022, when Watson's contract goes to 35 mil, while a rookie QB would have still been at 7-8 mil range, but we will still have a first round pick and Mosley comes off the books.

We are only really down in 2023, when we would have no 1st round pick, and Watson goes to 40 mil, while the rookie QB would be under 10. By that time with Watson and the new coaches we could be a force in AFC. So, it's really a no brainer if indeed this presents itself. Still I feel highly unlikely, but the dream lives on!

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

What as important as Deshaun coming here is us hitting in FA and with the remaining picks. JD will have to do a Houdini act with that 23 and 2nd round pick.

-trade that 23 back into a 2nd and 3rd this year?
    -draft a stud at 23?

whatever we do we have to 100% hit. No more Jabari Zuniga, no more Jacahi Polite, Devin Smith. We need 3 starts from these picks. There will be a trade back I’m sure

no point in Watson coming here to have nobody around him

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

He could get a good guard with 23d. This is not a Houdini act. We also have very high second rounder and total of 8 picks even if we give away 2nd overall. And the stud would be Watson. Look, if this deal presents itself, JD needs to pull the trigger. I just doubt it will as this is really unheard of when a 25 year old QB with 3 Pro Bowl appearances, who just led NFL in passing yards gets traded.

NCJetsfan, FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

NCJetsfan, themorey, NOVAJET and 5 others like this.
  6. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Possibly, but what the Seahawks gave up was too much and the first youre talking about is the #2 which might be as valuable as both the Adams firsts combined.

Would I have given up Adams and an average/high first (say 8-20) for Watson, then I would be tempted. Would I give up the #2 + Adams, I doubt it. Would I give up the #2 and two other firsts which represent above market value for Adams (in my opinion), then no I wouldn't.

7. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Yeah this is my main hang up. I'd love to have Watson but we've already seen Watson + depleted team only got Houston 4 wins

RochesterJet likes this.
  8. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Schefter looks like he just got out of bed for this

rickjet, Brook! and FJF like this.
  9. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

It depends on where the pick is in the 1st round.

Our 2nd pick is worth in trade value 3 picks in the mid 20s or Jamal plus a late 1st. So by giving the Texans the 2nd pick they are essentially getting 3 1st round picks from us.

10. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

There are just so many avenues to rebuilding a team when you have an elite QB in the mix. If he came in it would be like signing one of the best QB’s in the league to a 5 year deal worth $33 million per year. That’s already tied for 6th in the league and by the time Allen and Jackson sign it will be 8th. That’s an incredible value for this type of player.

You give up 2 things when you make this move, cap space and draft picks.

In terms of salary cap, this move is an overwhelming win. Drafting a first round rookie would cost around 1/3 of Deshaun in terms of salary, and based on the general trend of QB development, you’re looking at around 1-2 years maximum of cashing in on that value before you have to turn around and pay an extension. So in reality you’re exchanging 1-2 Years of good cheap QB play in return for a sure thing vs a coin flip drafted QB.

In other words, if you draft a QB, best case scenario:
    Year 1-Adjustment Year
    Year 2-Improvement/High Quality Year
    Year 3-High Quality Year
    Year 4-Contract Extension Year

Whereas with Watson you’re looking at:
    Year 1-High Quality Year
    Year 2-High Quality Year
    Year 3-High Quality Year

As far as that goes, the value is obvious to me. Now looking at draft picks:

If you don’t get Watson you’re spending at least 1 first round selection on a QB. I know you argued that you could flip the 2nd overall pick into multiple picks, but no one does that. No team trades back and still takes a QB in the top 10. It just doesn’t happen. You either move up or stay put.

Knowing that #2 overall would be spent on a QB, look at the other likely compensation. Probably #23 and 2022 1st.

If you give those picks up, you are still looking at
    2021: 2,3,3,4,5,5,6
    2022: 1,2,3,5,5,6,6,6
    2023: 1,2,3,4,5,6

You really think an organization with a franchise QB, a good coach and GM can’t make a good team with that?

11. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

And you still have a marginally talented team,... he is not worth it. Build the team

ouchy likes this.
  12. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Exactly, we're more than a QB away and the reported asking price (both financially and assets) handcuffs the Jets out of the gate. If Watson isn't happy in Houston, he won't be happy in NY.

I wonder if the Dolphins are interested in parting with Tua & a few picks

stinkyB likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

2nd pick is worth a lot for sure. but value is an interesting thing. it's also the market itself and the players available. if the texans really like fields or wilson to replace him it makes sense they shed cap space and get a reset on a rookie QB contract while acquiring other assets to build around the new QB. but in no way would they trade watson for a 2nd overall pick. it makes no sense in reality.

Noam likes this.
  14. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Yes, a top 5 QB that’s 25 years old and under team control for 3 seasons and then a tag year totally isn’t worth it.

I don’t think people on this board truly understand just how good Watson is. He almost threw for 5k yards with a trash team. Their OL is worse than ours and the weapons are a wash. The only guy on their offense I’d want besides Watson is Cooks, but we have plenty of cap to sign one of the big name FA WRs.

Trading for Watson does not empty the war chest at all.

NCJetsfan, rickjet, fdcnyc and 2 others like this.
  15. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

Ask yourself this, would you be ok if the Dolphins traded for him and won multiple Super Bowls?

16. GasedAndConfused

so you'd rather have say justin fields and jamaal adams over watson? that's just insane TBH.

WoodyHarrelson likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

hey he had jets legend chad hansen to throw to as well

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

Eh this point is moot. trading for a player so a division rival can't trade for him is the wrong reasons to do it.

RochesterJet likes this.
  19. NYJFOREVER

I’d lose my mind if he went to Miami.

If Watson is truly on his way out, there is no reason for him not to be a Jet next year unless the Texans ask for something obscene.

If we give up 3 1s and a 2, we still have plenty of money and picks to tool this roster. The trade would essentially be Adams + a 1 + a 2. Thats a steal.

20. NYJFOREVER

Oh how could I ever forget!

Chad Hansen made Deshaun Watson a top 3 QB in the NFL.

apjbfc and GasedAndConfused like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.