The Deshaun Watson Situation (POLL added for the potential price)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Jan 16, 2021.

?

What is the MOST you would give up to get Watson?

1. Just the #2 pick

24 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. The two 1's and 3 we got from Seattle

37 vote(s)
    27.2%
  3. The #2, Seattles first in 2022, our 1st in 2023

55 vote(s)
    40.4%
  4. More - just get it done.

20 vote(s)
    14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Deshaun Watson’s marketing agent liked a tweet saying the Jets should contact his agent immediately. Obviously because of tampering they can’t but still interesting because it might dispel the idea that Watson doesn’t want to be here.

When there’s smoke there’s fire.

2. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Will Fuller is a free agent.

Imagine if they got Watson, Fuller and then drafted Etienne with the 23rd?

GQMartin likes this.
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is like the loser move of all time.

The Jets roster is thin because they keep pretending that high picks don't matter.

Red Menace likes this.
  4. NYJFOREVER

The Jets roster is thin because Tannenbaum, Idzik, and Mac whiffed on countless FA signings and day 2 and 3 draft picks on top of drafting 5 IDL in the past 10 years in the first.

5. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I’m with you on that. The problem is Miami has the ammo to out bid 2nd overall... I could see them giving up #3 + #18. Now I think Jets would be more attractive if we did #2 and #23

6. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

truth.

That is not his marketing agent. That’s his agent agent.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. NYJFOREVER

Even better.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. Br4d

And because Mccaggnan traded 3 extra high 2nds to move up 3 slots in the draft to pick Darnold. And because the Jets traded other picks for vets over and over again to fill holes for a year or two. Then you get to the free agent signings that prevented younger players from competing on the Jets as the free agents themselves aged out. Then you get to the bad drafting.

The Jets basically have done everything wrong over the last decade and that's how we've gotten where we are now. Making a huge deal for a QB that will leave the roster thin alongside him is the last thing the Jets need to do at this point.

I like Deshaun Watson. He's a good QB. He just went 4-12 with the Texans, because they - like the Jets - decided to try to overload for a few seasons and the overload backfired spectacularly. They're short on future picks now and they're looking for the Jets to bail them out with a big haul of picks and players. Well, the Jets are even less suited than the Texans to support Deshaun Watson if they go out and fix the Texans talent and depth problems by creating more talent and depth problems on their own roster.

The NFL is a crapshoot every year and the teams that have a small bankroll can't afford to spend it all in one place.

Even a contender that was just short a QB would be ill-advised to spend most of their resources bringing in a good QB like Deshaun Watson.

Why?

Because the NFL is a crapshoot every year and if they got the wrong sequence of injuries, aging out among other players and failed draft picks with what they had left they'd pay for the mistake for 5 years.

A team with a bad talent base like the Jets shouldn't even consider bundling a lot of assets to trade for one great player. That's not how you win in the NFL.

tomdeb, abyzmul and Red Menace like this.
  9. Rockinz

Wow when there’s smoke there’s fire.. man this is wild.. when could this trade actually go down?

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  10. Br4d

We can't make decisions based on what the Fins might do. We have to make decisions based on what is best for the Jets.

Red Menace likes this.
  11. Rockinz

Yes I agree but Watson going to the Fins isn’t exactly what’s best for the Jets either... I think if they are players we should at least drive the price up on them

12. NYJFOREVER

The Redskins agreed to a trade for Alex Smith on January 30. We can agree to a trade with the Texans tomorrow if we wanted to, but it cannot be processed until the new league year.

In reality, a trade will not happen until a coach is hired. It seems like Watson is really pissed so I don’t think it matters who they hire.

13. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Not sure what you mean about them pretending high picks don’t matter. Elite QB play is the main component to winning in the NFL. Watson is only 25 and cost controlled for 5 more years... I don’t see your logic. I’m 100% for the slow patient build, and I have meticulous opinions on positional value in regards to using draft picks.

This situation simply doesn’t happen in the NFL, and can’t really be equated to anything else.

14. Rockinz

And that’s right after the SB?

15. NYJFOREVER

This year the new league year starts March 17.

16. Rockinz

oh lawrd we are going to beat this like a dead horse..

17. NYJFOREVER

Going to be a long offseason on TGG with everyone beating a dead horse not changing anyone’s opinion.

Snatch Catch likes this.
  18. Br4d

No, elite QB play is not the main component.

Elite play across the board is the key component. Having a QB in that mix is important but it is the team that needs to be able to play at an elite level or your Philip Rivers, Matthew Stafford and and Drew Brees (4 years out of 5 the Saints went 7-9 with Brees playing at a Hall of Fame level) just don't matter.

Add Deshaun Watson to the existing Jets roster and you get 4-12 - just like he went with the Texans last year. If the Jets give up a lot of draft value to acquire Watson you're just looking at 4-7 wins a year for the forseeable future. Maybe they get one season at 10-6 with a bunch of free agent signings but then the whole thing collapses again just like it always does when the Jets make that kind of splurge.

Trainer likes this.
  19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

@HomeoftheJets make it 250

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Bury it, dig it back up and start beating again. Every time Watson is mentioned in the news there will be 5 more pages of this.
    I hate the off-season

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.