The Deshaun Watson Situation (POLL added for the potential price)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Jan 16, 2021.

?

What is the MOST you would give up to get Watson?

1. Just the #2 pick

24 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. The two 1's and 3 we got from Seattle

37 vote(s)
    27.2%
  3. The #2, Seattles first in 2022, our 1st in 2023

55 vote(s)
    40.4%
  4. More - just get it done.

20 vote(s)
    14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

Having Watson would make the Jets an attractive free agent destination. You’ll get guys willing to take less to come play here with Watson.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

Give me Fields/Wilson and the draft picks.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Stronger arm becomes less of an issue once a certain threshold is reached. Watson has an elite NFL arm. If Lawrence can throw the ball harder or further (debatable at this point) that's cool. But it doesn't really matter because Watson has plenty of zip and yardage behind his throws.

Faster? Based on what? Watson rushed for more yardage in less games in the same system.

Stronger? Probably. But again, what does it really matter? Watson is proven at the NFL level that he's physically durable enough despite the ACL tear.

It's unfair to try to compare prospect to prospect status when one is an elite NFL passer and another hasn't thrown an NFL pass.

4. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Don’t get me wrong I love Watson and would be thrilled if we got him but 3 1s is too much.

I would do at best:

Jets: Watson

Texans: 2nd overall + 23 overall + 2nd 2022

that still leaves us the 34th overall pick at least to give Watson a nice piece

LAJet likes this.
  5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I still think it's a pipe dream, but here is more fuel to the fire: https://thespun.com/nfl/afc-east/ne...eam-in-best-position-for-deshaun-watson-trade

Schefter: "There’s no team out there better positioned than the New York Jets to put together a compelling trade package for Deshaun Watson." And Watson actually wanted to play for Saleh, which is btw a great praise if nothing else for our HC, who is a defensive guy!

6. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

95% of all players take less to play nowhere and with no one.

7. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I’m saying they are a very comparable but Lawrence might not even be available while it looks like Watson is. But if I had a choice to spend the capital on Watson or Lawrence I’m taking Lawrence every time.

8. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I think it's a no brainer.

NCJetsfan and 88toon like this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

You're taking an unproven commodity over a proven commodity. @HomeoftheJets - can you put this in some sort of economical math terms where you always opt for the proven commodity?

10. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Deshaun Watson is a malcontent? I guess by the textbook definition you're technically correct, but this is not just some bad guy like Jamal being an asshole for something trivial. I don't think a lot of people know how completely dysfunctional and dishonest the Houston front office and team has been.

- traded away his best WR and friend because he was labeled a "thug and bad guy off the field" which was completely unfounded and insulting
    - The president is a slimebag from NE that EVERYONE in Houston hates. He has wiped his ass on the Texans franchises and even burned bridges so bad back in NE. Was listening to a beat reported from Houston saying he is despised and no player trusts him or Cal McNair. Hear another national media member in the know there that said this weekend that he should not have a job and should have been fired a long time ago because he is so despised.
    - the team hired a consulting firm to help with a coaching and GM search and they completely ignored the advice and hired someone else with many thinking it was racially driven. Don't shoot the messenger, this is what a Houston reporter is reporting.
    - DW was told he'd be part of the process that they did the absolute opposite and were the only NFL team to not interview two of the candidates he liked (and that were high on the list) because some think again, it was racially motivated.
    - JJ Watt after the last game literally apologized to watson that the team has "wasted another year of his career"
    - Andre Johnson, the only ring of honor member who by ALL reports is a very quiet, non controversial figure came out this week and told Deshaun that the organization is a disaster and he needs to stand his ground and go.
    - and to date, Watson has sent out a few cryptic tweets but has not gone scorched earth and publicly trashed anyone. He has made it quietly known he doesn't want to be part of the horrible situation anymore.

So there always the "the team paid you well so just be an employee and play" lazy take that I am sure is coming. I hate the Jamal Adams approach and will never support that. But I also don't think a star player using his power to express unhappiness with his team in a fairly professional manner to try and get himself in a better situation at 25 and his whole career in front of him is wrong, especially when you can't trust your employer and believe (whether it's true or not although where there is smoke there is fire) they are making decisions based on some racial biases by the owner.

NCJetsfan and Mogriffjr like this.
  11. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

Trade the Adam picks for Watson. It’ll be like a redo of the 2017 draft

NCJetsfan and themorey like this.
  12. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Would they do Sam, Seattle’s 1st this year, Seattle’s 1st next year, and our first in 2023?

You have to think they’d demand the 2 overall but that’s fair to me

NYJFOREVER and 88toon like this.
  13. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Right now, I would give them the 2nd overall. Let them go after Fields or Wilson.

We would instantly be playoff contenders and have a shit ton of cash.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

@Brook! Can we fix his name? No capital S.

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah, we don't him reading this forum and finding out we don't even know how to spell his name!:p

16. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Done

17. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

If Deshaun Watson left Houston it would be one of the craziest things I’ve seen happen in the NFL.

I said on my podcast if it were to actually happen, Jags Jets and Dolphins are the only ones with enough draft capital to make it happen, and do you really think there’s any way they would trade him in-division to Jacksonville?

18. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I also don't think Houston wants to trade him to Miami...That 3rd overall should have been Texans pick. Miami moved Tunsil there right?

NY seems like a better fit overall for Texans to move him to. Watson controls the cards with no trade clause

NCJetsfan, NYJFOREVER and dawinner127 like this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

If the 49ers commit to moving Bosa I think they're in play. Or maybe one of their young receivers (Aiyuk, Samuel) even if it's counter productive to Watson's offense. Two firsts and Bosa seems like fair value.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

I think the #2 overall will be a demanded inclusion for the deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.