Sad- Bills and Jets were in the same boat

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

what was that about not smart? don't strive for "something" when you have nothing? ok.

2. Losmeister

yes. instead thtey stand behind the worst qb in the NFL like its a badge of honor.

3. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Im happy for the Bills they havent been this far since 1993.Im hoping to see The Bills vs Browns in AF.C title game.The game no one saw coming 5 years ago

NYJetsO12 and Losmeister like this.
  4. Losmeister

mic drop

5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Long Suffering yes..

But Suffering could be over soon with better decision makers

Longsuffering88 likes this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

And we'd have done him all the favors we did Darnold and he'd be headed out the door now just like Darnold most likely is.

7. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

They drafted well. It’s not even Josh Allen. All 5 of their OL were in PFF top 20 lol. We draft Nathan Shpehered, Zuniga, Can Clark, Devin Smith, Hackenberg etc

8. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Would Allen have survived year one in NY with a completion mark of barely above 50%? Would he even have got that with the Jets roster. I'm not sure.

Br4d and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah it's never the QB. It's the system, it's the other players and it's the coaching staff. It's never the QB until he's 43 years old with 6 rings and in the playoffs with his second team.

At some point you have to be honest and admit it's the QB as well, and that even if the guy had a bunch of flaws in his college game and wasn't quite the "generational talent" that everyone is searching for in the draft every year, that if you put the guy in the right situation and he's got what it takes between his ears and a decent set of physical skills, that you'd have as good a chance as any team and far fewer QBs would be busting out every 3 years.

The problem occurs when you are so obsessed with the "QB is the most important position on the field and you have to answer that question ASAP" mantra and put the cart before the horse like the Jets constantly do, you don't know if you ever had a guy that was capable of reaching the next level because they are all being put in position to fail.

10. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

I don't think there's a single QB in the history of the NFL that this board has ever wanted INCLUDING those who are now Hall of Famers. Manning? Overrated, choked in big games. Montana? System QB. Brady? Fuck Brady. Favre? Interception machine. Elway? Choked worse than Manning. Brees? Nothing without Sean Payton. Rogers? Doesn't matter how he's doing with the Packers, he would have been a bust with the Jets. And how about the new guys? Mahomes? Allen? Watson? Jackson? Hard pass. They're flashes in the pan, they'll be has-beens in two years, mark our words!

Same deal with coaches: Walsh? Nothing without Montana. Belichick? Nothing without Brady. Parcells? He coached teams ANYONE would have won with; overrated. Cowher? Took him 12 years to win it all; too much ground and pound.

So, what's the answer to today's Jets fans? Bring back Rex Ryan and give us a cheap, game manager QB and surround him with big name receivers. Basically just what the Johnsons have been doing.

Bellys Lies likes this.
  11. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

dude. If Josh Allen was on the Jets last year what’s our record? 3-13? 4-12?

12. Losmeister

it would have won the vegas bet for over 6.5

13. Losmeister

this reads like " I am cool with another 2-3 years of sub .500 football while we wait for the stars to all align and then MAYBE we should try to get a GOOD QB on our roster"

14. BuffaloBills06

BuffaloBills06 Active Member

I can admit I was one, but that was due to media telling us that Josh Allen wasn’t a good QB

15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Buffalo is a really good team. I was not a believer. At the beginning of the season I picked the Jets to beat the Bills Week 1, citing the Jets had the better QB in Darnold over Allen. It has gone the complete opposite way ever since that day. Allen has this will to win that is impressive to me. I still don't think he is great, but he has the potential to be if he keeps improving. If the Chiefs win today, I think next week's AFC Championship will be really close. Buffalo likes the underdog role and played well against KC this season during an odd week.

As for the Jets, don't be too upset @Longsuffering88. The Jets look to be on the right path now. I think the 2021 AFC East will be really competitive. Top to bottom.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

There's a right way to do it and then there's the Jets way to do it. The Jets way to do it seems to be to bend to the will of reactionary fans who demand a new quarterback every 2 years.

17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Can't blame you, Long Suffering, for looking back and feeling sorry for yourself, but this was 3 years ago. Mac, who was responsible for this, is gone. Bowels is gone. Gase is gone. We have a highly competent GM, we just got a highly sought after coach who was interviewed by 6 NFL teams and has great credentials. We got a terrific OC. We have 2nd pick in the draft with some top QBs declaring. We just got another chance to make things right. Things are finally looking up, so it's time to stop weeping about the mistakes 3 years ago, wipe your tears, and look ahead.

Losmeister likes this.
  18. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I think it serves as an example of building around quality QBs vs failing to do so. The Bills have done a masterful job developing their QB.

Statistically, Darnold had a better rookie year and improved a bit going into year two. He fell apart in year three. The Jets did little to surround him with talent and coaching, and it stunted his development. Now he is largely a lost cause and will probably be replaced. That's not to say he'd be as good as Allen is now, but the Jets did him zero favors.

Josh Allen had improved each year he has been in the league, and the Bills front office has built a strong offensive line and has continued to bring in WRs to make his job easier. Daboll is also better than anything Sam has had.

Hopefully the Jets take notes from what the Bills did and put whoever next years QB is in the best situation to succeed, even if it is still Sam.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. Losmeister

your down with extended periods of crap qb play. cool. so tough, so steadfast.

the right way is sticking with the worst qb in the league. nice one.

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'll go one further: Gase absolutely refused to change his "genius" offense to fit with Darnold. Gase's offense, in fact, was diametrically opposed to what Darnold does well, and demands what Darnold does least well. In fact, it wasn't until the last 5-6 games of this season that Gase actually began to call plays that suited Darnold's strengths, and no coincidence that these games were Sam's best this year.

Contrast this with how Allen was handled. Buffalo went and vastly upgraded their OL the first year, and added weapons for him. If Diggs was playing with Covid-19 and his hand in a cast he'd still be better than anyone on the Jets roster. And they game planned around Allen's strengths and weaknesses - imagine that!
    That people here keep trying to use the Allen-Darnold comparison as "proof" that Darnold sucks is - to quote the hockey coach on Letterkenny: Fuckin' embarrassing!".

IIMeanDeanII likes this.