Jets hire Robert Saleh

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

yeah
    Big Ben was barely a game manager at the start

he was managed exceptionally well and was on a great team with great HC

In a way the chicken came before the egg

they had the team and the scheme and just needed a QB

ouchy likes this.
  2. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Fantastic hire by the Jets. Looks like the Johnsons got out of the way and let Douglas actually do the work of finding a good football coach to lead this team. First time I've been excited for anything related to the Jets in a while.

3. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

I never heard that about SAM's refusing to work on his footwork? Do you have a source? If anything, it seems from all the reports I have read that he is the opposite and wants to get better so ...like you said we just do not know. Also, it is not ass backwards to build a team ...

Maybe I didn't express my thoughts but when I said build a team, I meant the entire team. You seem to be a realist so ask yourself about the team makeup. I'll admit there is some good young talent but there are holes at OLB - aka rusher, ILB who can cover, #1 CB, SS-FS needs help. AS for O, out OL seem to play better but I think an upgrade at C and RG and maybe RT is in order. The TE situation is questionable RB. WE need a $1 WR and a veteran backup QB named not Falco.

We can disagree on how we get there but my take is JD and now our new HC (who BTW I am very please with the selection) would agree that the team needs a major influx of talent across the board. So my take is they stick with SAM by putting him in the same system he was in his rookie year (you'll have to agree he played well the last 5-6 games that year) which may (I emphasis may) help him get better.. then they either pick Sewell (and become a run 1st team minimizing Sams faults (pocket awareness, progressions) and take advantage of his rollout capabilities... I could be wrong but that is what i think. I also think they take a cover LB, rusher and OL and WR...after that who knows. Thats is my take.... could be completely wrong but JD has a plan to build the team and he is sticking to it and I believe it isn't drafting a QB at 2...

4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Word on Twitter is Thursday.

KWJetsFan likes this.
  5. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Thanks. I was really curious about that as well.

6. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

The Mosley thing was my first thought also - if any coach can overcome the risk of a player losing his edge after sitting out for a long time, it would seem to be this guy.

7. SixDemonBag

SixDemonBag Member

Fantastic hire! Really love his acumen and enthusiasm!

Brook! and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  8. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i guess once training camp starts the jets will have 5 practices per day.

all in fun.

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

From my perspective JD is nothing if not a methodical, thorough and precise in his execution. He has a long term plan and a roadmap for which holes he needs to fill and a priority order. He will try to get the most out of the draft on both sides of the ball. He will negotiate up or down moves if the value is there if he sees a player that fits the team vision. We might not like some of it, but that is just the way he will build this team into a long term contender. He is not going to overload one side of the equation just because it has been disregarded in the past unless the value is there. I would be surprised if he does not go QB again if he feels strong about the player and the total value is best. He will be surgical not emotional, be it WR, pass rusher, OL, CB, TE, RB, LB. He knows he needs to fill holes and he will maximize that. I do believe his strong priority is to make the roster better, faster and give the QB as much to work with as the draft provides in the way of value. But he will not over reach because of need. That ain’t his style in my view.

#569 LAJet, Jan 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    SOJAZ, chandler, Pags2112 and 2 others like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Exactly! It's Douglas's blueprint, and no one here knows what that entails. Nor do any of the reporters and media. Pet peeve: I read yet another article opining what Douglas might do now that he has Saleh, and while he basically said there are many many options and he didn't know which way JD would go, he offset that by saying that if we had the 1st pick there would be no speculation and the decision would be "easy". How does he know this for a fact? He doesn't! No one does! So many people have assumed all along, especially when we were winless and "owning" the first pick, that Douglas would run up to the podium and say "Trevor Lawrence", but if anyone has paid attention to what Douglas has said since he got here, that is a baseless assumption. I'm NOT saying that JD won't take a QB, or that he won't use the #2 pick for a QB - and frankly this is what I hope he does do - but I seriously doubt that's his plan, and never was his plan.

SOJAZ, chandler, Brook! and 3 others like this.
  11. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

A - rating on the initial hire! We already know he is also bringing Mike LaFleur and I'm on board! Analysts around the league also seem to agree this was a great move. Let's start building baby!

This Free Agency peroid should be one of the most intriguing and exciting we have had in years!

SOJAZ and Brook! like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Another poster posted that he had read about Sam refusing to change his footwork because it felt comfortable. He didn't site a source.

I know you meant the entire team, and almost the entire team does need to be upgraded. We are in agreement about that.

As for positions, I think we're fine at C for at least another season or two. McGovern was rated as the #7 C in the NFL over the last 7-8 games. Fant would be fine for another year. He doesn't have to be replaced this year, and certainly doesn't have to be replaced by a top 10 draft pick or even a 1st round pick to have a great set of bookend OTs or a great OL. The idea of drafting Sewell at #2 if flat out insane imo. It's a waste of draft capital and would cause cap issues. Again, we can have a great OL and a great set of bookend OTs without using a top 5 pick on an OT. I think we do need 2 new starting OGs this season, and we need a better backup LT than Edoga.

Are you sure this will be the same offense as Sam had his rookie season? I've heard no one else say that either here, on Twitter or the internet.

At offensive playmaker/skill positions, we need at least 2 WRs, another TE and a starting RB.

On D, we're set at DT. We need a better DE/Edge rusher, hopefully an elite one. We need at least 2 OLBs, a #1 CB and a SS.
    Since the QB position is the most important and is the hardest to fill adequately, it so you are forced to wait and focus on other positions. Ironically, some of you want to wait until next season to take a QB, I think there will be no FQB available next season, and none as good as Lance or Wilson, much less Fields.. When you have a chance to draft a QB, especially one that is very talented and has a lot of potential, then it is totally backwards, inefficient, and counter-productive to pass on taking that QB and build the team. Why do it when you don't have to? It ignores draft history and our own stupid draft history passing on Mahomes and Watson. The offense should be designed around the QB's strengths and weaknesses, and ideally the offense you install from the beginning of the new HCs time with the team should be the offense that you keep and run. You shouldn't be changing the offense after a year or two to fit the QB you finally add, again, unless you have no other choice. To intentionally do it is nuts and defies any logic or reason. Then the offense has to take a step back while they learn a new offense. You need to find the best QB can, not just any QB that will "fit" the system.

I respect you and your opinions, and you're one of my favorite posters, but I'm sorry, I can't respect this particular opinion that we shouldn't take a QB this year and should just draft position players, especially taking a RT at #2. It makes zero sense to me and imo is totally backwards. I haven't seen one logical, rational, reasonable reason why it's an acceptable way to approach this offseason and rebuilding the team. It's like to you and those who want to eschew taking a QB this year, see it as we either take a QB or we build up the team, or see the QB position as not important, or think that Sam is going to be miraculously fixed, or anything less than 15 draft picks or isn't enough. In terms of taking a QB or building the team, it's not an either/or proposition. We can actually draft a QB AND build the team at the same time. How anyone can think that Lawrence is the only good QB in this draft is also mind boggling. Hopefully, no one thinks the QB position isn't important. 15 draft picks isn't reasonable. The NFL isn't Madden.

We have 9 picks already, 5 of those in the top 100. If we trade Sam, we'll get at least another top 100 pick and maybe another pick in a middle or lower round. JD could also trade down from #2 to #5 and garner another two top 100 picks. Even if not, between those 10 or 11 picks and our cap space, we could have as many as 14 or 15 new players on the roster, and that's not even including UDFAs. We have another 9 or 10 picks next year, and by the time of that draft, that number could be even higher, and JD could trade down in that draft and add additional picks. How is that not enough? It's like some of you are drunk or greedy on the number of draft picks we have

It takes longer for the offense to gel than it does defense. That's why it's so important to get the QB and build around him this year. The longer we wait to get our QB, the longer it will be before we become truly competitive and have a chance to go deep into the playoffs, the harder it will be to get a topnotch QB and the more costly it will be. When we can draft a QB this year without trading up, it makes no sense to wait a year or two and have to trade up. That's just repeating Mac's stupid mistake in 2017 not taking Mahomes or Watson, and then having to trade up for Sam in 2018. Repeating stupid mistakes of the previous regime is no way for JD to build the team. If he passes on taking a QB this year, then I'm done with him and the Jets.

13. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

ADDERALL

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

We'll have to agree to disagree about his sitting. One cannot make changes in fundamentals while one is playing. Those changes take lots of practice/work, focusing only on that issue. When one is playing and trying to execute an offense, one cannot be thinking about his footwork or mechanics. IMO he needs to have his footwork fixed before he ever sees game action again, or it will never get fixed.

Losmeister likes this.
  15. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

JD has given us enough insight on how he does things already though. Based on his draft last year and his scouting grading system, he will draft day one starters with his first few picks.

I agree with you on bolded, even if he trades down with either of Jets first three picks, I don’t believe he will draft guys that have to sit for a year with his 3 picks that means a QB is out of the question. Why do I say that?

JD knows team needs talent in the worst way why select a QB that has to sit for a year and pass up talent that can build the foundation of this team moving forward?

A HC with a 5 year contract, a GM with 5 years left on his contract, players drafted by JD and before JD that are already paying dividends, and are part of the foundation for the Jets... Bryce Hall, Q Williams, Mims, Becton, Mayes, Ashtyn Davis, Mann, Perine.

I see JD wanting to add another talented 3 or 4 players at the top of this years draft that will continue to add to the current foundation.

I know how guys feel about a QB with 2 pick but it does not add to JDs plan of adding immediate talent to team if he has to sit for a year. JD is doing things the right way, the slow and methodical way of building a talented team through the draft for the long term will work under JD.

SOJAZ, ColoradoContrails and Brook! like this.
  16. Losmeister

you see tons of print on how Josh Allen worked his ass off... working on his fundamentals , imitating Rodgers and Brady,.

ZERO on Sam.
    ZERO.

People want the tteam to elevate Sam. Thats called being a game manager QB, not a difference making QB. We drafted him to transform the franchise.
    The goald was way way way way way over his head and capabilities.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Why select a QB that has to sit? I'm shocked that you even ask that question. ? I think your analysis is flawed.

You select a QB because it's the most important position. You select a QB because it's the hardest position to get. You select a QB because there are 3 very good ones after Lawrence that will be just sitting there for the Jets, and each is potentially a FQB. You draft a QB because you don't want to repeat the same stupid mistake that Mac made in 2017 passing on Mahomes and Watson, and then had to waste draft capital to trade up in 2018. You draft a QB because next year's draft class isn't nearly as good at QB as this year's draft class, and you don't want to wait until 2023 or 2024 to get a QB. You draft a QB because you'd be nuts to risk your career on Sam Darnold, and you sure can't pick up his 5th year option, and if he doesn't play at a high level, you have no QB for 2022. You draft a QB because the better the team gets, the lower you'll be drafting, and most likely not in position to draft a FQB in future years, so you'd have to trade up and burn major draft capital, and if there's anything that JD has shown is how much he values draft capital. He's not going to burn 3-4 1st round picks and more to trade up to get a QB, especially one who may not even be a FQB prospect. You draft a QB because it's best if you build your offense around your future QB, and that rookie may not have to sit at all, or may only have to sit for part of the season. You draft a QB because the longer you wait to get a QB, the longer it will be before you'll be ready to be a serious contender.

You do not know what JD's plan is. I can't believe that he would prioritize adding a day one starter at another position over drafting a potential FQB. If so, imo he's not the right GM for the Jets and should be fired.

Losmeister likes this.
  18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Are you in favor of signing Beathard, who has played for the 49ers, as a bridge QB? Then, move down a bit from 2 and get Smith or Chase. After that, go CB OL RB in some order. Essentially, build up the team and go for a QB in 2022 or 2023.

19. Losmeister

no fuggin way
    involve him in trading Sam to Niners so he can be b/u? sure.

no way you sign Betahrd as the starter. no fuggin way.

20. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Darnold really needs to make those changes in the off season. Look at the improvements Allen has made, look what Mayfield accomplished in one off season. He completely changed his footwork ,even changing his pre snap stance switching position of his left and right foot. Darnold worked on it prior to 2019 but reverted to his old ways mid season. Asked in a pre season presser if he worked on his footwork and mechanics again this off season he responded , no because its what's comfortable for me.
    Maybe hearing a new staff tell him it must be fixed and seeing his issues on film will wake him up. But if he puts in the work, it can be done.

Side note: Check out Howell and Rattler from next years class and the teams they have beaten. They would likely be battling for second and third in this years QB class behind Lawrence.

SOJAZ, ColoradoContrails and K'OB like this.