Jets hire Robert Saleh

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Jan 14, 2021.

1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Thank you, I do respect your opinions as well and I'm sorry for coming off so harshly there. My mistake.

Brook! and tomdeb like this.
  2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

If Kyle can turn Sam into a top 10 QB in a year as some believe, he will be the youngest HC in the NFL, and rightfully so.
    I have no clue where Sam problem lies, nor if is fixable. I defer to the experts, but I believe is inconsistency first, and unable to read the whole field and react quickly, without hurrying the throw, not arm strength and mechanics. But that is up to the new staff to figure out. I trust the evaluation of the people that will coach him over the casual fan.
    IMO, Sami’s just another great example of playing a QB way too early, without proper development, not fixing the fundamentals, nor the talent around him and throwing him to the wolves by inept coaching like we did with Sanchez.
    I hope history does not repeat itself with our next QB. So if someone has to hold the fort for a year to properly develop the new QB so be it.

3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

To be fair, that's a pretty impressive feat..... I once tried to drive a toyota while getting laid (and she was doing all the work). If i didnt find a dirt road side street, I may not be here today to grace everyone with my infinite wisdom. I couldnt imagine doing it while poking a pigskin, dragging flaming dumpsters :eek:

Brook!, Footballgod214 and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I mean you are in a train so flaming dumpsters would not be much of a threat unless the dumpsters can fit inside but I imagine you would be in the engine so it's unlikely. As far as the pigskin I would think it would be a lot easier to manage than a full size woman so unless you are into migits this also is less of a threat. All in all peice of cake.

Brook! likes this.
  5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

details man... details....

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I hate to tell you, but the bold describes Sam too. His footwork is bad and his mechanics are off, which of course screws up his accuracy and ball placement. His decision making is bad, and his confidence is pretty shot. I think you'd be regretting trading for Sam pretty quickly.

7. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I see the train plummeting off a cliff, with six or eight dumpsters, and most are completely engulfed in flames. One dumpster toward the rear is just an exploded, smoldering crater. The monkey is visibly on a meth jag. The football is grim-faced, but not in a position to argue.

stinkyB likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

Yes, if you're willing to let him sit for 3 years while he learns and fixes his issues, then you could have a good QB, but who is going to invest 3 years in a QB letting him sit on the bench?

9. NCJetsfan

I respect you and your opinion, too. I don't hate Sam, nor does Revision. We're just telling it as we see it.

REVISion and tomdeb like this.
  10. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Revision and NC are right on this one. Sam is a bust. It happens.. look at Rosen..

New coach new system new FQB. Doesn’t have to be this draft as Saleh/JD has time to find their guy while plugging holes with the right players

11. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

I believe the Jets take either Wilson or Fields at 2 if Lafleur so good at developing qbs, why not give him a great prospect. Keep Sam if Sam becomes all world, next yrs qb class is not very impressive. You could still get great trade value for either Fields or Wilson. If Sam continues to be Sam, or only improves to where he was with Bates.We have a franchise like qb that has been able to sit and learn the game. We cover our butts Through free agency and the draft this yr we can really improve our team . I do not expect to be more than a 6 win team. We will fail with a few of our changes this offseason. If Sam steps up and we are able to trade our 2 pick qb in 2022 for draft picks in a draft we already have 2 1sts, We are able to add many final pieces to our puzzle

BrooklynJetsFan and Ralebird like this.
  12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Thanks! Personally, I've always been partial to i ate cake n sploded

donkey, Brook! and sozopol like this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Sometimes you can tell when someone is simply not being intellectually honest. He made it sound like Saleh's defense sucks and outdated. Fact: it was top 5 in yards last 2 years. You can criticize anything but at the end of the day I hope people can see through the BS. Said that Jets was basically only one possible opportunity. Fact: 6 teams asked for interview and several twice. Now I don't know if other teams would have offered, I don't think we can now find out, but it just doesn't sound like Lombardi was genuine here, I am not sure why.

Brook! likes this.
  14. I know many will disagree w this,but when you draft a guy like Sam you are drafting his high ceiling w the understanding its gonna take awhile for things to fully come together. He was very young entering the draft,showed a ton of instincts & raw tools but clearly needed mechanical work & needed time to round out his game. You hoped w his maturity & playmaking ability he could still produce early while things came together. It’s been a mixed bag w some short term regression & some ugly stats.

But not only is he STILL growing up & developing at age 23, but hes also been dealt a dreadful hand.

1.How does a a quick hitting controlled passing attack fit Sam’s skillset?

2.How does a bad interior OL help him learn to throw w a better base when hes almost immediately flushed from the pocket & has to bring his eyes down?

3.How does a revolving door of mostly subpar weapons help him become a better decision maker when guys dont get open & cant be trusted to get to a spot?

4.Isnt a running game supposed to be a young QBs besr friend? What running game?

Sam deserves blame too.But to act as if its preposterous that Sam couldnt bounce back very nicely w drasticallly improved supporting cast & stepping up on his own account,just doesnt make sense to me.

Pepsiguy5, K'OB, MoWilkBeast and 5 others like this.
  15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This is a fair question to ask. No one will offer 1st, and even second is unlikely. However, 3d/4th round pick is possible. Think of it like that: teams sometimes take a shot at QB in these rounds, knowing that chances to succeed are small, but maybe they could be a back-up QB, and who knows maybe they will beat the odds. These teams have already other starting QBs and this guy would come in as a back-up, likely 3d string.

Heck, even we just took a shot at Morgan in the 4th round. Did JD believe there is a big likelihood he will be FQB? No, but he could be a back-up at some point, and who knows, maybe more. Similarly, instead of picking up likes of Morgan with their later pick, a team could say, let me take a shot with Sam, have him sit on the bench, work with good coach, he is 24, not old still, and maybe he will be useful.

I do not believe any team that needs a FQB now, and say has a chance to get one of the top guys in this draft, will be looking at Sam instead. Neither should the Jets.

16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

There's no doubt that Sam has been dealt a bad hand. But, we are nearing the end of his rookie contract. His play so far hasn't warranted a 30+ million per year contract. Do you roll with him in 2021 and hope better coaching can fix his issues knowing that he wasn't simply below average in 2020? He was among the worst QB's in the league by many metrics. Then, there's the fact that a new CS might want a new QB to develop. Like you, I'm on the Lance train and am willing to go with Beathard as a hold the fort QB until Lance is ready to go.

REVISion likes this.
  17. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Finally a hire everyone seems to be on board with.....Out of all the candidates i think he was one of the top 3 choices.......Intresting to see if Beheinemy gets hired.

18. Thats a different topic entirely. Im talking solely his ability & where he is at as a QB.

If the new staff believes in him you could just let it play out w the Franchise tag/trade remaining an option down the line. Or they could essentially sign him to a team friendly incentive laiden 1 year extension w an escape clause while hes down on his luck.Bring in some competition.

ColoradoContrails and tomdeb like this.
  19. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

NC, IMHO did you ever consider that AG and DL thought Sam's' mechanics were ok. I am not saying I know for sure but in two years he regressed,,, frankly his rooky season was better especially the last month and a half. Look if they move on so be it but I am of the opinion that we need to build the dam team up 1st.... IMHO there are no FOB except for Lawrence.

Pepsiguy5, tomdeb and westiedog1 like this.
  20. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

That wouldn't surprise given how those two are absolute shit coaches...

Darnold's footwork is awful and it's why his accuracy is so inconsistent.

ColoradoContrails likes this.