New HC and free agents

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by wellemann, Jan 13, 2021.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I would be stunned if we don’t end up with one of Jerick McKinnon, Jeff Wilson or Tevin Coleman. I would much prefer we draft Harris and make him the featured every-down back but I don’t think that’s the Shanahan way.

jilozzo and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I hope you're wrong about the FAs. Jeff Wilson doesn't look like a starting RB, and I don't think the Jets should use cap space to sign a bunch of SF castoffs, although they probably will because Saleh will want them.

With his slim build and history of shoulder surgeries, I see no way that Wilson is the #2 QB. I think he will drop like a rock. I agree that Lance will shoot up draft boards, and the Jets should take either Fields or Lance. If they can trade back with Atlanta, garner an additional 2nd and another pick, and still get Lance, that would be awesome! Adding Waddle at #23 would be awesome, but I'd be shocked if he falls that far. With the 2nd round pick, I'd rather get Kadarius Toney, but if he's already gone, I'd rather have Harris or Javonte Williams than Etienne. Brown from Alabama could be a great pick or Trey Smith could be as well. I hope Wyatt Davis isn't in the mix. IIMeanDeanII is a huge OSU fan and he isn't high on Davis, nor is Kurt

AJT73 likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

I'd love Harris as well, but would be quite happy with Trey Sermon or Javonte Williams, or even Kenneth Gainwell. I hope we don't sign some other teams scrub RB in FA. That would be a waste of FA $s imo.

I think we need a power back. Is Wilson a power back? I know Coleman isn't, and don't think McKinnon is.

4. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

Forget Shrman. I can run faster than him.

SOJAZ and Red Menace like this.
  5. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

cast-off and FA's arne't necessarily the same. i get ur point-we don;t want dreck. but a couple of "his guys" i think could be good. Jim Leonhard was a guy that comes to mind that Rex brought on. Was good b4 injury.

Zachs build is similar to alotta QBs that have fared just fine in the NFL. A quick couple comps height/weight would be LJ and Cousins. Brees shoulder has been a non-issue ever since he got it fixed, right? Not that SOME concern/pause isn't warranted. For me the focus on that issue is a bit over the top. YOu could still be right and he drops..someone will take him and we'll all get to find out what the deal is with him. I think he's for real. For me Stafford-like with more agility and running for yardage/1Ds/TDs ability.

Yes to Justin and Lance. (i'd be ok with Zach too... or ANY QB they see fit to bring in to better the QB position)

Waddle ok to you despite HIS injury/size? I like the player and would be fine wih him as well.

I'd prefer a drafted RB as well.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Bring in Richard Sherman please. They guy has an attitude where our young secondary can benefit.

7. NCJetsfan

Yes, I know there's a difference between castoffs and FAs. It was a poor choice of words on my part. I just meant I didn't want to sign a bunch of SF D FAs and then not be able to sign Thuney and a top WR.

Yes, Wilson's build is similar and I think he's a great prospect. He has a more slender frame however, and has already had rotator cuff surgeries on both shoulders, which could signal that he has some kind of inherent structural weakness that could become a chronic issue. I'm sure that JD would thoroughly check out his medical records/history and wouldn't take him unless he felt confident that Wilson would be OK. I was just thinking that it would be typical Jets' luck to take Wilson rather than Fields or Lance, then Wilson would need rotator cuff surgery again during his rookie season and never be the same again, and meanwhile both Fields and Lance go on to become stars. As long as JD takes one of those 3 QBs I'll be very happy.

Yes. Waddle just had a broken ankle. That shouldn't cause any chronic problems. His size doesn't bother me, either. He's a different type of WR than Mims, and would be a great complement to Mims and Crowder.

Yes, we definitely need a drafted RB. RB is the easiest position for a rookie to come in, start day one and play at a very high level.

Losmeister likes this.
  8. Losmeister

Again... ur concentrating on Zach injury and dismissing Waddles.
    I am not concentratin on either.

While I get yhe "itd be just like the Jets for him to reinjure his shoulder" I dont have ANY DATA on reinjury of shoulders whil I DO HAVE ONE GREAT EXAMPLE of it not being a problem. Brees.

Anyway, splitting hairs a bit. :)

Buy yes to the Bold.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The nature of the injuries are vastly different in terms of future risk. A torn rotator cuff leaves scar tissue in an actively used area can be re-torn, whereas broken bones tend to heal stronger than they were before the break.

Chad Pennington is a great example of reinjury.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and Losmeister like this.
  10. Losmeister

2003, Pennington's left hand was fracture-dislocated during the pre-season, causing him to miss the first six games of the season. He injured his rotator cuff in 2004, missing three games. He underwent surgery in 2005 on his right shoulder. It was later known that he had a severely torn rotator cuff and a bone spur in the right shoulder. He tore the rotator cuff again later in the year.

good. an example. i wonder how the bold compares to what happened to Brees and more germane...what happened to Zach.

thanks!
    THIS IS WHY I come to GGN!!

11. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I agree on the San Fran players not spending too much on them. The Jets have so many holes though I could see them signing a few of them at reasonable prices to fill holes. Nothing big or long term. I think they'll try to sign Wilson but know he's not a starter and they'll draft or get another rb.

As for Zach Wilson. I see another Pennigton type player. Someone you root for and love but with injury he doesn't live up to the bill. We'll see. Be different without a combine. Either way first time in a long time I'm excited to see how it plays out. Last few years was going through the motion.

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.