Jets hire Robert Saleh

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Jan 14, 2021.

1. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

So do you take Wilson or Fields or sign a FA over Sam?

2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Two third round comp picks to SF is tremendous value.

mrjet80 likes this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Teams will start considering hiring out of conference. Definitely not hiring a minority within the division.

TonyFtLaud, NCJetsfan and Poeman like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

ROFLMAO!!

REVISion likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

As Colorado explained (sorry if I wasn't clear, but I thought it was obvious) the "continuity" would be from this day going forward, not with Gase and his offense (God help us). Look at Sam. In three years he's had two different HCs, OCs and offensive systems to learn. If he's back, this will be his third in four years. That's a sure-fire way to ruin a young QB. Young QBs need consistency around them in order to flourish. They need the same system, the same philosophy, and the same OC/HC. Thus, if the new HC was an OC, even though he would be in charge of the whole team, he would probably call the plays and be heavily involved in the offense like Gary Payton, Shanahan, and others. Unless he was as awful as Gase, he wouldn't be going anywhere for at least three years, and if was good, he'd be here for the length of his contract and longer. That is continuity and stability.

With a DC as HC, that means you have to hire an OC, and if that OC does a good job, he could get hired away as a HC in 2-3 years. Then there would be a disruption in the continuity for the QB and offense.

SOJAZ and cmcm750203 like this.
  6. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I didn’t say JD isn’t going to be focusing on the offense. You are right I think Thuney and/or a top WR Should be priorities. However now that Saleh is in the fold I think he’s going to realize the difference between having a so-so defense and a pretty damm good defense is the lack of an outside pass rush which has been the Jets achilles heal for years. A FA signing for EDGE probably isn’t going to be a first tier but simply help. (Anything is better than nothing). As far as the draft I would be surprised one of those guys “with potential” doesn’t slide into the second round or so but if so don’t be surprised if Saleh likes him and they pounce.

Remember as of now it is looking like they may be committed to Darnold. I’m not saying it’s the right decision but be prepared for a possible trade down.

7. NCJetsfan

Oh, I know they can pounce on an Edge or CB in the draft. That's why I didn't want to hire a former DC. I didn't mean to "shoot the messenger," and wasn't upset with you, would just be upset with that approach. I know that you were just stating what could, and probably likely will happen. I just hope that they're smarter than that. IMO taking an Edge in the 2nd round this year would be wasting the pick when there are so many good offensive players that could be available at real positions of need. Of course Edge is a HUGE need, but imo it's better to wait until 2022, not only because the offense is so far behind the defense and we should build around our QB, but there are supposed to better Edge prospects in next year's draft, whereas the QBs will be worse. It's also better because it takes an offense longer to gel than it does a defense. It makes more sense to me to use most of the FA $s and high draft picks on offense this year, then next year, they'll be completely or almost completely free to focus on using their high picks on Edge, CB and LB.

mrjet80 likes this.
  8. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

It means bloody good food, I know that.

sozopol, Footballgod214 and Brook! like this.
  9. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Solid recap, it feels good to be wanted

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Nah. I'd prefer someone like Raheem Morris. I think Lewis's time has come and gone. Not to mention do you really think he'd interview for the head coaching spot and take a lesser position? (Not being sarcastic) - does that happen usually?

Tough to keep up on interviewing trends sometimes even though we see it more than most franchises.

I'd imagine Saleh plucks a position coach from San Francisco as he's going to be hands on with he defense. I'm happy about LaFleur but I'm still apprehensive about an all rookie staff. I hope Boyer stays even though I want the rest of the stench gone. Aside from the kicking debacle (wasn't provided a kicker with any talent though) our ST unit has been pretty good after the disaster it was towards the end of the Bowles years.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  11. Ray Lucas

Ray Lucas Well-Known Member

Stay mediocre and pick up his option?

12. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Wow, in terms of our cap space I can totally see players wanting to come here over other places all because of Saleh and Joe.

Buckner just couldn't stop raving about him during the period he played with the Niners

#452 Poeman, Jan 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  13. 757-Niner

757-Niner Member

As a Niner fan, just want to say congrats on the hire. Saleh is a real leader of men and should do well if given a little time and the proper tools. If your FO does their part you'll love what he brings to the table. Your defense should be unequivocally better from jump. I'm sure a slew of our free agents on that side of the ball will follow him to NY and get the ball rolling there. Young guys like Quinnen Williams & Bryce Hall should thrive in his scheme. And LaFluer bringing that Shanny offensive schem to the east should really help develop Darnold...IF your FO chooses to stay the course there.

AJW, NYJalltheway, SOJAZ and 15 others like this.
  14. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

If the plan going forward is Darnold, you still take a QB however instead a veteran backup QB via FA would make more sense to be an emergency starter.

Still think the Jets should trade down to get extra picks and can still get a significant impact OL, WR, QB and Edge with their first hopefully four picks in the first two rounds.

15. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Thank you for the visit. Appreciate the insight!

Hope your team finds health in 2021.

16. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Why pick up his option?
    He's under contract next season if he is still here and his option cost the same as a franchise tag.
    If retained it's a one year audition in the new system with an improved roster.

K'OB, NCJetsfan, FJF and 1 other person like this.
  17. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Does he run a specific 4-3 defense with a strict 4 man pass rush? Or a hybrid?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Thanks, those Niners will be back, those two comp picks may get you guys a top QB this off season!
    You think they should keep Darnold? And whats your opinion of Lafleur?

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yeah, it looks like they may have overdone this a bit with the compensation. A 3d round pick alone is a good value. You double that and that may scare teams away just because they don't want to be at a big disadvantage in the drafts.

Honestly to me it is a no brainer: a guy like Fields, while not a sure thing like Lawrence, is as good a prospect as there can be and checks all the boxes. Zack and Lance are intriguing also, but the absolute worst thing we can do is stay with Sam, who at this point needs to be a back-up for some time. I would not be totally against drafting Fields and keeping Sam as a veteran, but that gives 3 young QBs on the roster. Would much rather get a pick for Sam and keep Flacco as a vet QB.