Jets hire Robert Saleh

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Jan 14, 2021.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The flip side is letting everyone know the 2 is up for bid.
    Like I said, I’d prefer a fresh start but form a personal point of view, the angst it would cause on the board is good entertainment too.

JetsKickAss and stinkyB like this.
  2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Listen, if a big boy offensive coordinator (AND NOT A FUCKING GAMESHOW HOST LOOKALINE) comes here a la LaFleur - Sam has the base level talent to improve. If Douglas believes this, then I have to follow suit.

Granted, I think they have to put on kid gloves with Sam, as if he's a rookie. Keep it simple. Maybe do some of that stop light shit they did with Sanchez.

FJF likes this.
  3. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I think EDGE will be in play very early in draft and Also in FA.

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Meyer is probably the best comparison to Parcells, though Parcells had his success in NFL, which makes him significantly better, so even he doesn't exactly qualify. Parcells is not coming, as simple as that. I don't think anyone is saying Saleh is a sure thing, and he absolutely does have a lot to prove. But if you look at the types of coaches that are being hired season after season, someone with Saleh's credentials is pretty much up there. It was also clear he was JD's first choice.

The way I am looking at this, we just upgraded dramatically from Gase to someone like young Rex Ryan. If you remember Rex did some really good things before he burnt out and came very close to SB even. Now, we need to hit on QB, and I think we have a very legitimate chance to be a contending team, like we were under Rex. Sure, Saleh has a lot to prove, but it's hard not to be excited over this.

Noam and BacktoQueens like this.
  5. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Have we announced an introductory conference yet?

I'm sure the Jets PR team is showing Saleh the Gase introductory conference footage as a "What not to fucking do" example.

6. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

Man went to bed last night thinking WTF is taking them so long. Woke up to happy news! I am pumped and my Jets soul is replenished for now at least. From what I have read about this guy people really like him so I am fully on board.

7. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Saleh may be the first Muslim HC but believe it or not I remember reading Rich Kotite was Lebanese also.

8. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

Right! That AG intro presser was awkward as hell.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

thats true about Kotite. And Abe Gibron, Bears coach in the 70s was Lebanese also. So Saleh is the 3rd

10. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Oh for sure. We are going to need a solid edge to fit the scheme Saleh will run. Safe to say, I don't think this will be difficult getting free agent pieces in place to help assist that.

11. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Knew he was Arab, but didn't know he was Lebanese

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That is AWESOME! Thanks for sharing! I see now why you love Saleh so much. I'm really starting to love him too. I was so delighted to hear that about Pete Carroll and his approach. I've always liked Carroll, and was disappointed when things didn't work out with the Jets, but he was brutally honest with himself, learned from his mistakes and grew as a man and as a coach. It's like he's giving back to us now for failing us all those years ago.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Will Saleh be allowed to say he wants to blow everything up and start over? lol...

#373 Footballgod214, Jan 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    MoWilkBeast and Brook! like this.
  14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

He can but he’ll be taking a bus to all road games if he does

Brook! and Footballgod214 like this.
  15. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Jews are a minority, Catholics are a minority, Italian-Americans are a minority.

This gets to the whole NFL deciding who is or isn't a "minority." When you get down to it, EVERYBODY is a minority of one type or another.

In all those virtue-signalling press conferences, Goodell never said he wanted to see more Lebanese and/or Muslims as HC's.

It's a joke that SanFran gets extra 3rd round picks.

REVISion likes this.
  16. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Maybe its been mentioned, but the reason why this is such a great hire is because Joe Douglas led this head coaching search/hiring. Saleh is his guy and I trust Joe Douglas. It is great to have a competent GM and HC that are on the same page. Can't wait to see how they build the team this offseason. Go Jets!

17. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

But what if they aren't sold on Fields or Wilson ?

Then what ????

FJF and Footballgod214 like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

Then I might have to save him from himself and hire someone to kneecap Sam! ;):p LOL Seriously, I'll be greatly disappointed. I'll understand if they're keeping Sam as the vet and still will draft one of Fields, Lance and Wilson. IMO if they don't take a QB, and instead take a position player at #2 or trade down and take a position player, that would be taking a foolish risk that could set the franchise back at least a year in its rebuild, and could possibly delay the Jets getting their next QB until 2023, if then. It's one thing to want to help others, to like Sam as a person, and believe in one's gifts as a teacher, but it's quite another imo to risk the team's future by trying to salvage a QB who has been mostly mediocre to awful for 3 years. They can draft a rookie who has none of the negative issues of Sam's mechanics with Fields or Lance. They can draft a QB who seems to have little or no problems reading defenses in Lance or Wilson. They can draft a QB with as strong an arm as Sam, and whose arm is more accurate and has better ball placement in Fields, Lance and Wilson.

I just see no wisdom in spending a year building the offense around Sam and trying to fix his myriad issues, when they can focus that time and energy on one of those three QBs who don't have all those physical issues, and especially don't have the mental issues that Sam does (seeing ghosts, bad memories, poor decision making, lack of confidence, etc.).

That said, I think both JD and Saleh seem to smart to take such a risky path and potentially waste a year of the rebuild. I think they will draft a QB, even if Sam is back.

#378 NCJetsfan, Jan 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    Fiftynine, Brook! and Borat like this.
  19. I hope someday we get the true story behind that debacle. Was it a bad batch of PCP? A stomach ailment? Was he being visited by his invisible friend the great gazoo?

Someday..Someday..

REVISion, K'OB and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

Mike LaFleur could be gone in 2-3 years. IMO that's a HUGE reason in why they cannot waste a year with Sam. They have to move on and do everything they can to get the rookie playing at a high level before LaFleur leaves. If JD and Saleh aren't aware of that possibility or don't take that into serious consideration, then neither are the right man for the job imo. QB is the most important position. We've all discussed ad nauseum how the Jets failed Sanchez and Sam. They'd be setting the rookie up to possibly fail just as much as if they didn't fix the OL or the offensive skill position players, or setting Sam up to fail again. That would be so typical Jets. Roll with Sam, they start getting him fixed, they extend him, then boom, LaFleur is hired away, and Sam falls apart with the new OC.

REVISion likes this.