Jets hire Robert Saleh

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

a NON free year doenst mean playoffs. UR the one talking about firing , no me. just NO FREE YEARS.
    no expecting simply accepting shit years as ok.

Ralebird likes this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It’s probably going to be a shit year this year.

And thats ok

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  3. Losmeister

congrats on liking losing so much. a great trait...

Shea Jet likes this.
  4. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I am curious if the 2 candidates that got called in for second interviews had differing opinions of Sam? Maybe they both presented opposite views of Sam - Smith saying he could 'fix him" like they did Tannehill and if Salah wants to move on having faced Sam this year. We'll find out soon enough whether Salah wants Sam or not...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. Losmeister

not soon enough fotr me.
    i was sold a bill of goods by JeNation goofballs. i was told to expect a perennial top 10 qb.
    i got the absolute worst qb in the nfl over the last 3 years, worse than SFs b/u Mullen.

NCJetsfan and matt robinson 17 like this.
  6. Leon H.

Leon H. Well-Known Member

This is good news and what also is good news is that I just left the Wendy’s on Rt 4 and Adam Gase gave me a free apple pie at the drive thru!

NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Weird I’ve never seen you post this opinion before.

FJF likes this.
  8. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

Vin Diesel’s our coach!!!!

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  9. Losmeister

i'm driven to repetition by all the " lets give sam the reigns again!!" posts...

REVISion likes this.
  10. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

lots of great posts and insights in this thread. Learned a lot about this guy and Lafleur

my own two cents: any comments to the effect that they'll roll with Sam are not the same thing as some super endorsement of Sam. it could be the case that they see him as serviceable just as Jimmy G was, or that given the other options it's a push. they might think that priorities lie elsewhere and that their draft options at QB are not that much different than next years, or they could be hiding their intentions of what they want to do in this draft (e.g., if they have a target they think they can get later than 2)

reading the comments about the SF system, it does seem a better fit for Sam so the idea of rolling with him doesn't seem nuts, nor does the idea that we have a different QB next year, despite these comments.

11. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

If they trade that pick, they could land another Adams-like hoard.

12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I would love to trade down and draft Lance.
    See how Darnold responds in this system while also developing a quality prospect.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

Great video. It sounds like Saleh really wanted this job. Schrags also reiterated that Sam is probably going to be the QB and considering this whole video starts off with him saying he was texting Saleh, I’d bet he knows a thing or two.

14. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

Not that anyone cares, but I think this is a good hire for the Jets. Let me preface my opinion by stating that I know nothing of Saleh other than one 5 minute interview clip lol.

He seems like a good dude, one who embodies some important leadership qualities that can help establish a culture. I think that is what the Jets organization needs most. I wouldn't get too caught up in the "I want an offensive guy, this is a defensive guy" approach. Its more important that you have a leader at the top who can establish a culture. Then, of course, you find a QB and the rest will play out accordingly. When the Bills hired McDermott, I was disappointed because he was a defensive coach and we didn't know too much about him. He wasn't a big name. We all realized quickly that he didnt just talk the talk like most coaches do, he lived it. Everything he preaches to the players (consistency, preparation, work ethic, continual growth) he clearly lives in his own personal life and that allowed players to buy in. Saleh seems similar to that. Similar to the Bills when McDermott was hired, the Jets organization is a complete dumpster fire culturally. Bad people, bad principles, bad priorities, etc. The Bills needed someone to get everyone pulling in a different direction. Maybe Saleh can be that guy for the Jets.

For those who wanted Brian Daboll, I would encourage you to look at what he's done as a coach prior to this year. Bills fans were originally disappointed when he was hired as OC because every time he ran an offense, it was statistically at the bottom of the league. That's a fact, not an opinion. He was never successful. He also never developed a QB. Josh Allen has obviously ascended to superstardom, but I think most people in the know realize that this anomaly in Daboll's career most likely leads to the conclusion that Allen's success should be attributed to Allen himself, and not Daboll.

I think this was a good hire by the Jets. Now, make some good personnel additions (not spending on stupid positions like safety, middle linebacker and running back and instead WR, CB and a pass rusher) and the Jets will be on the right track quickly.

15. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

Connecting the dots from my post in the "#2 Pick" thread, here's my potentially unpopular take:

1) JD was probably a huge factor in Saleh wanting this job...JD has a great rep and there's no doubt that's a selling point for any coach, especially a first timer...knowing someone running the show will set you up for success

2) I'll block my ears on this...but as I mentioned in the other thread, if SF-KS really liked the possibility of Darnold in his offense (the narrative we heard a bit, just not sure who's narrative it was KS or just media speculation), no doubt KS used that as a selling point to Saleh when he of course was helping to guide him through the interview/job selection process. I can't see how Darnold doesn't stay with that narrative in mind, and thus the Jets use that #2 to fleece some team in desperate need of a QB. Maybe even trade down twice to put a true stamp on them w/ the players JD/Saleh want to build around

3) I've read a bit about the concern he's a defensive minded coach...I think we've all been brainwashed after the McVay anomaly that you need an offensive minded HC if your team has a QB/offense problem. I completely disagree and hated the Gase/Williams "2 head coach" nonsense...if you can't run the whole team, stay as a coordinator. It doesn't matter what side of the ball Saleh specializes in as long as he's a good leader and knows who to pick as his coordinators. Use Parcells as an example...totally a defensive coach and run first/tough D type guy with the Giants. But a world class leader who hired the right coordinators and when he got to the Pats and drafted Bledsoe they were an air assault team. HC needs to be an outstanding leader and everything that encompasses, make good decisions on his coordinators and then adapt to his personnel...the rest will take care of itself...

4) From everything I've been reading, looks like we scored big with this hire! The most important part being, I finally trust the guy who led the search.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

oh man, if they think they are gonna bring in 31 year old Lafleur, run Shanahan's system and its gonna fix Darnold we are screwed

I like Saleh but I really hope thats not the case. Start fresh and build something of your own

Brook!, REVISion, NCJetsfan and 4 others like this.
  17. BroadwayAaron

A lot of us have been saying this so I’m glad to see an actual Bills fan say it. Thank you for the perspective.

Brook! likes this.
  18. HC of the NYJ

HC of the NYJ Member

Is this considered a minority hire by the Jets? Will we get a draft pick?

19. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

credit to BroadwaySam for being the first on the board to break the news. Well-done, Sam.

Brook!, ColoradoContrails and LAJet like this.
  20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Can you imagine that is the case after the Jag's take Fields and leave Lawrence at number 2 and we then trade that pick for a ransom and keep Sam.

The universe will implode on here BOOM!!!!