Official Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ray Lucas, Oct 22, 2020.

?

Our Next Head Coach

Poll closed Nov 5, 2020.
  1. Eric Bieniemy

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Arthur Smith

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Greg Roman

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Jim Harbaugh

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Joe Brady

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Other (Please Explain)

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Technically speaking it should be the #1 interview.

I wouldn't count a zoom call as a first interview. Just my opinion LOL

Snatch Catch and Red Menace like this.
  2. RyanM

RyanM New Member

sounds like if Urban Meyer finalizes things in Jacksonville today, the other dominoes may start to fall with Saleh and Smith

Leicester Jet and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  3. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I will admit that emotional coaches can be fun to watch but think it has nothing to do with their effectiveness, e.g., Andy Reid and Bill Belicheck are about low key as you can get

ultimately if we start winning the players will show great emotions, and it will be good times again. WInning cures a lot of ills

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Good news for us.

6. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

One domino down. Good news for the Jets as Jacksonville was considered a legit option for Saleh.

Leicester Jet and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Felt like the entire league was waiting for someone to make the first hire and ultimately seeing what the Jags were going to do. I'd imagine a bunch more pieces fall soon.

I don't understand why that would be the case though. It's not like Meyer has interviewed all over the league right?

Mogriffjr likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

will be interesting to see if thats going to work, Urban at Jax

9. BroadwayAaron

I think it’s more so because if Meyer turned them down they would then probably be a hot destination for other candidates. Once he accepts that takes them out of every other candidate’s list of options.

Depends on the OC. Meyer hasn’t coached X’s and O’s on the ground level in years. He’s one of the top 3 coaches in football but if this is gonna work he’s gonna need someone handling Lawrence.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I respect your opinion, but I think Sam was a very good prospect, at least physically, but think that he is pretty much ruined now. He either is unwilling or unable to fix his footwork and mechanics, and as a result will always be inaccurate. There's no way he should still be making bad decisions like throwing the ball into double, triple or even quadruple coverage, taking unnecessary sacks, etc. this far into his career. He doesn't have a feel for pressure, can't see the field or read Ds very well. I think Fields, Wilson and Lance are ALL ahead of him in major ways. Yes, they have to work on reading NFL Ds, and have things to work on, but are already better than Sam in decision making, accuracy, ball placement, footwork, mechanics (except Wilson), and in the mental aspects of QB play. Sam didn't start playing QB until at some point in high school. He was a LB before that. Those three have always played QB I believe, so are ahead of him mentally, and with instincts, and "feel" for the position.

I also think it will have an impact upon his career. One, for making a bad decisions to waste a year of his career and a Jets' entire season trying to "fix" Sam, when I think he is probably unfixable. Two, he'll take a hit for failing to fix Sam if he is a former offensive coach. Three, even if he fixes Sam, Sam can walk as a FA. There are no guarantees that he would re-sign with the Jets, especially after they refused to pick up his 5th year option, and there's no way they should pick that up. Four, this is the time to start over with a new QB and build around him, not a year later when the offense has already been put into place. I think the opposite would be true. He would be putting more pressure upon himself to "fix" Sam, and then if he failed, he has wasted a year, and then the pressure would be on with the new QB they get, and if they have passed on taking a QB this year, then the QB they are able to draft next year will probably not be as good as any of the top 4 QBs this year, and there'll be pressure to succeed with a lesser QB. That new coach doesn't have unlimited time. He may only have 3-4 years to build a winner, and if not, he could be fired. Wasting a year of that trying to "fix" a QB with as many issues as Sam has is foolish imo and a huge waste of time, and I believe that most of the fanbase will agree with me.

IMO if JD and the new HC opt to try to fix Sam, it will show that JD is not the right man to be our GM going forward and that he made a bad hire at HC.

bicketybam and JetsKickAss like this.
  11. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Rich just speculating

NCJetsfan and Red Menace like this.
  12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

If they select him, this may well be good news for us on two fronts.

13. BroadwayAaron

I'm not as high on Daboll as some others here so it's easy for me to say but... I'm not waiting until potentially the end of January in hopes that Daboll will take our job. I'm taking the best candidate available right now especially since I think Saleh is better and Smith is just as good, if not better than Daboll.

14. BroadwayAaron

I would love it but there's just no way that's happening unless Ryan Day is his OC. Also because we are the Jets and good things don't happen to us.

REVISion and K'OB like this.
  15. RyanM

RyanM New Member

after Meyer is officially hired...make the move Saleh or Smith, we cannot afford to wait for Daboll or Bieniemy

BacktoQueens likes this.
  16. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Not to mention I like Saleh and Smith much more for the job.
    I hope one is hired by end of week.
    Preferably Saleh.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Agreed. I would imagine that JD already has the next steps planned out, and maybe even arranged. I think if the Bills lose, Daboll will be brought in for an interview. One or more of the other candidates could already have 2nd interviews set to come in this weekend or next week.

18. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Totally agree. While I understand the waiting part, that gives all of the leverage to Daboll if they decide to wait. What if he was lukewarm to the job regardless? It's not uncommon for one party to be way more interested than the other. If they lose out on other good/qualified candidates for Daboll and he declines, then what? Circle back to who's left, no thanks...

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I think jville was out on island on this one and the rest of the openings are all competing for the coordinators. It’s going to take a saleh or smith to get hired before we really see the dominoes start to fall.

20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

A quarter of the league, so that's about double their representation in the population at large. Not good enough? When would it be good enough if so?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.