New HC and free agents

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by wellemann, Jan 13, 2021.

1. wellemann

wellemann Member

We are alle awaiting the signing of Saleh or whoever will end up being HC.

But do we have any information on those potential coaches and the free agents, that they have a great connection with, players they have coached etc.

Saleh:
    On the 49ers D Solomon Thomas ended on IR, but is a free agents.
    Both starting CBs Sherman and Verrett are free agents.
    From his time in Jacksonville he worked with Ngakoue.

Any other connections?

2. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

he left NY without a contract and is going to Phili...this does not bode well.

wellemann likes this.
  3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I have no problem signing Sherman as long as he admits Revis was way better than him.

4. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

It’s a shitty job, but a great division to look good in.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

This is why I hope the new HC will be a former OC, not DC. Saleh or Davis, or Staley will want to sign former D players that are FAs. IMO our FA $s need to go to OG and WR and maybe a CB.

6. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

While I understand the draw and desire to want an offensive coordinator at head coach, this comment has no facts to back it up, considering Saleh has never been a head coach before. Not to mention that Douglas will be making free agent decisions with input from his head coach. If Saleh were hired the idea that he will just focus on defensive free agents and Douglas will approve is laughable.

This idea that we NEED to hire an offensive minded head coach reeks of a repeat of Adam Gase. Yes I know Adam Gase did not have a great history coaching offenses, but he was widely touted as a "genius offensive mind". We need a head coach who can have his hand in every side of the ball and one who is a leader and takes control of the locker room. I couldn't care less which side of the ball he comes from

SOJAZ, Pepsiguy5, Noam and 1 other person like this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I swear that's my first thought every time I see his name.

SOJAZ and Donttasemebro like this.
  8. Jets1035

Jets1035 Active Member

Is it possible that they offered him something and he turned it down?

9. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

If I'm Saleh I'd take the Eagles job over the Jets and Lions. It's a way suckier division, 2 young and promising QBs, and the owner is comparatively less sucky.

10. Falco21

I disagree big time. I think the Philly job is a fuckin mess. It was not Pederson that was the issue there. It was the horrendous front office which has been widely reported. Pederson left in large part because they were trying to completely control him.

The Jets, as much of a mess as it was last year, have a widely respected GM, a ton of draft capital, including two picks in the first round, and a shit ton of cash. Not to mention you will be coaching in New York.

Speaking freely, not just as a Jets fan, but if I'm deciding between Philly or New York, I would take New York any day. I have a few family members in Philly. My uncle is a diehard Eagles fan and him and I were talking the other day about their situation. He told me the same, their ownership and front office is horrendous and until that changes, he does not understand why any good head coach would take that job.

11. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Caught a bit of PFT yesterday. The consensus was Chargers, Jags, Jets (in that order) were the most appealing vacancies with all the others being suggested as ones that candidates might want to avoid for various reasons, mainly complete turmoil within the organization.

Falco21 likes this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If we hire Arthur Smith, bring me Corey Davis. If we hire Joe Brady, bring me Curtis Samuel. If we hire Saleh and he brings the Niners offensive staff, bring me an RB.

13. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

maybe 2 RBs cause they always get hurt

14. Falco21

Yeah, the Eagles situation is a nightmare right now. Saleh is taking that interview because it would be stupid not to, but if it comes down to the Jets or the Eagles, I am not worried about that decision.

The Chargers position scared me at first, but it seems them and Jacksonville are battling it out for Urban Meyer, which I would avoid with a 1000ft pole. Let them fight over him while we snag Saleh or Smith.

JetBlue likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We'll have to agree to disagree. The facts are that most former coordinators DO favor their side of the ball. Saleh could be different, but there are no guarantees that he would be. I didn't say that Saleh would "just focus on the D." I said that could be his primary focus and that a major chunk of the FA $s and high draft picks could be used on the D this year rather than the offense and building around the QB. A prime example is the Edge position. Saleh could be different, but most former DCs would want to address the Edge either in FA or the draft or both. I have no problem spending some FA $s on an Edge if it doesn't prevent our signing Thuney and Robinson or Godwin. I would have a problem if if prevented being able to make a major upgrade to our OL and WR corps. This isn't a good draft for Edges. It's a weak one. Using a high draft pick on an Edge this year would be wasting the pick most likely, especially when we have so many needs on offense and there are so many good offensive prospects.

Yes, JD has a say in where the FA $s go and how the draft picks are used, but we know that he seeks to work with the HC and build consensus, and I believe that he will probably bend over backwards to support the new HC for at least the 1st year or two, and could go against what he knows to be best in order to make the new HC happy.

If Saleh is the hire, I will hope for the best, but our experience with hiring former DCs has NOT been that they take care of the offense. We have mostly hired former DCs over the last 20 years and enough is enough.

16. BroadwayAaron

I can't figure out why the Chargers job isn't the hottest job right now. Did they even interview Salah? I feel like he's an absolute perfect fit for their culture. Are there worries about Herbert's fit in a Shanahan offense? Very odd.

17. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

And an old roster with no cap space. Yeah, sounds like a great job if you are depending on the division winner only going 7-9 for the next five years.

18. Falco21

It's weird dude. Outside of Meyer, there is like zero reports of them interested heavily in anyone else. I was reading this morning that Daboll seems to be one of their frontrunners but it has essentially been radio silent outside of Meyer.

I also just read Meyer is finalizing a deal with Jax right now, so that may all change here shortly.

19. BroadwayAaron

Even though I'd take Saleh, I can understand why they'd want to wait for Daboll. They actually have the talent for Daboll to work with which is the only time Daboll has succeeded as an OC/playcaller. Herbert, Allen, Williams, Henry and Ekeler is like Bills lite, with the potential to be better.

Falco21 likes this.
  20. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Now with Saleh speculation can begin what our offseason plan will be. Here are some things I think will happen especially connections to him from San Francisco.

Free Agency: Not all will come but I think you'll see some of these free agents here especially since some of them won't cost much.
    1. Kerry Hyder: UDFA had a cup of tea with the Jets. Switching to the 4-3 the Jets will need a few more dlinemen.
    2. Jordan Willis: Another former Jet returns. Two line pieces that will help.
    3. Jeff Wilson: If the 9ers don't resign him I think the Jets will. No number 1 rb so he'll be it.

I think those three would top the list. They have other free agents I could see the Jets signing but no one else that would move the needle. Kendrick Bourne would be one. Also a few role players in the secondary. Richard Sherman I'd watch but I think he'll resign with the 9ers or go somewhere that is expected to compete. Kyle Juszcyk is another name but I think he'll resign with the 9ers.

I'll have to look at the other free agents but I think it's a start.

Draft. This is the big one. We know we're in a rebuild. QB is the big issue. We still have 4 more months before the draft. I get this gut feeling Lance will shoot up the boards. I think Wilson will be the clear number 2 and Fields and Lance will battle for third. I have a feeling the Jets will fall in love with Lance and much like last year feel they can drop back and still get him (not sure they felt they could drop back for Mims but kind of like that). I think the Jets trade with Atlanta to drop back two spots to get Lance. Today is January 15th I could change my mind and different things could happen but just my feeling today.

With all of the extra picks the Jets will solidify the offense early and then with their added 2nd and 3rd round picks (from trading back and a Darnold trade) focus on the defense.

23: Waddle/ Wyatt Davis
    33. Etienne/ Brown guard from Alabama.

Just some ideas depending on how the draft breaks and what we do with the rest of free agency and added draft picks. Time will tell but fun to talk about.