Official Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ray Lucas, Oct 22, 2020.

?

Our Next Head Coach

Poll closed Nov 5, 2020.
  1. Eric Bieniemy

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Arthur Smith

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Greg Roman

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Jim Harbaugh

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Joe Brady

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Other (Please Explain)

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That would be hard to do because they would still have to convince another team to hire their non-important executive as General Manager.

2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

My bad, I read it as not exclusive to GM or HC but executives as well.

3. BrowningNagle

its all good. I think we're thinking too much into it.

The Rooney Rule has become a farce because teams just offer courtesy interviews to comply. Then the teams come back with the, I believe, valid argument that there aren't enough qualified or experienced minority candidates. This is designed to help with building up the pipeline.

I'm not sure though that it will even have much impact. I dont see teams changing any of their hiring practices just in hopes that someday down the line someone will steal the guy and they can get a late 3rd round pick out of the deal. that's pretty deep there.

You need a linebackers coach, you want to get a guy who can coach linebackers. It would be absurd to think "lets hire a black guy so we can get a compensatory pick when he becomes a head coach." Hell, most coaches don't even last long enough to see that happen and obviously most assistants dont become head coaches.

NCJetsfan and Red Menace like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The playing field is pretty level when it comes to the NFL coaching ranks. The first head coach hired last year was a minority. A couple years ago, a third of the league had minority coaches. They didn't work out and got fired because of poor results and cries of racism rang out a year later.

If you think that NFL owners wouldn't hire a zombie without eyeballs if they thought it would give them a distinct advantage to win a championship then you're crazy.

You will now see teams loading up with minority assistants simply because they're minorities to try to play the comp pick game.

REVISion and NYJFOREVER like this.
  5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Looking like Saleh?

I'll love his energy on the sidelines!

But....I worry about having a HC from the D side of the ball. He'll have to bring in a whole coaching staff for the O side, including a top OC with game planning and play calling ability.

Then....IF our new OC does well with Sam or whoever, he'll be offered a HC job within 2-3 years. And we lose our entire O coaching staff including our OC, QB coach, TE coach, RB coach, WR coach, OL coach, on and on. It will be 'start over' with the new O coaching staff.

I'd almost prefer like the Andy Reid model where he's the HC and runs the O, even with Beinemy. If the Chiefs lose Beinemy, no huge deal. But if the Jets lose our OC, it's 'start over' and hope for the best.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Why wouldn't they? An extra draft pick in the top 115 is a huge incentive.

7. BrowningNagle

Because theres' like a minuscule chance of it happening?

8. Jonathan_Vilma

How is there a miniscule chance of it happening when it looks like the very coach we might hire would qualify for it? Not to mention Bienemy as well if anyone hires him.

9. BrowningNagle

ummm.. Because Robert Saleh is one of hundreds and hundreds of assistant coaches. The vast majority of them don't because head coaches

there's only 32 jobs in general. and only 5 to 6 in a given year

Fiftynine and All Gas No Shake like this.
  10. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The more minority coaches or execs you higher, the greater your odds of getting a comp pick from someone hiring. Sure, the pick you get won’t change drastically change the playing field, but it could lead to teams hiring someone based on what they are instead of who they are.

11. BrowningNagle

right. But again, to win in this little scheme for draft picks you would have to convince someone to actually hire your minority coach or exec as Head Coach or General Manager

I think its clear that getting a HC or GM job is about who you are.

12. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

If we draft the next LB from Penn state because we hired Salah I'll be pissed lol

REVISion likes this.
  13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Only Saleh, Smith and Lewis can get a 2nd interview this week. If they want Saleh or Smith they cannot wait for Daboll. All appearances seem to indicate Saleh is the 1st choice. I have to believe he is plan A but if he walks out the door without a contract likely they will shift to plan B which is likely Smith.

14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think this measure will work, because if no one hires your coaches, you are not really losing anything. You don't need to worry about finding new OC for example. However, if you do lose someone for these jobs, and have to look for a new coach, at least you have a draft pick as a comp.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

That seems like the approach taken. Makes sense to me. I wonder if Daboll would want to take on the Jets and play against the top QB he helped develop, plus an up and coming Miami and the ghost of BB when he can go to the Chargers and build on a better personnel base and a potential FQB. Of course he would have to face KC there but who knows.

Noam likes this.
  16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I agree the AFC east looks like a tough place to play with the Phins and Bills ascending. If I was a coach I would want to coach in the NFC East. The Jets could have likely won the NFC East in 2020.

LAJet likes this.
  17. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Agreed. And then the media cries outrage every year when the unqualified guy they pushed doesn't get hired. Round and round we go.

I truly believe sports are one of the least prejudiced places. Everyone just wants to win for the most part.

Borat and BrowningNagle like this.
  18. BrowningNagle

that's a good point Borat. verrrry nice

19. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

20. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Some of the best head coaches came from the defensive side of the ball:

I don't understand the "coaching tree" comment, at all.

I personally do not like the coaching tree argument one way or the other, but he has some serious head coaches in his tree:

John Harbaugh
    Matt Nagy
    Doug Pederson
    Sean McDermott
    Ron Rivera

Coaches who have made the playoffs consistently and/or won super bowls.

Aero and Footballgod214 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.