Jets should draft Devonta Smith but wont

Discussion in 'Draft' started by nyjetsgreen, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

I love the take "its too high for a receiver" or he should be a final piece to for a contender. wait the draft is loaded (because we always hit on guys later) news flash there usually isn't a team drafting high if they are in contention. Keyshawn was a diva. Smith is everything you want in a WR. no drama no nonsense no show boating. all he does is his job, and guess what he does it better than anyone else in this draft. hey if Sam can't get it done with this guy then we move on. But I'm willing to give it a shot. taking a guy 2nd or 12th shouldn't matter if he is the guy you want.

abyzmul likes this.
  2. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Robby is tiny as well, he's done well for himself.

Losmeister and abyzmul like this.
  3. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

I also don't get this mindset that you don't draft a great WR unless you already have a QB. Wrong you draft the best talent for your franchise period. If Devonta is a perennial all pro with a HOF career it would be dumb to pass on him because you don't have a great QB.
    I am very high on Devonta Smith and his attitude, maturity and demeanor are world class. The Jets drafting him would be phenomenal.

b.reyes16 likes this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets have options after acquiring Sewell. If a starting LT goes down in camp next year they have either his replacement on the roster or trade potential with Becton if it is another team that loses the LT.

Having 2 LT's in the hand with both of them also able to play RT is no problem at all for next year and gives the Jets flexibility down the road as long as both are still safely on their rookie contracts.

5. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

What is too high for a WR 2? Lol. Ok so wait till the Dolphins pick him at 3?

6. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

That guy is a force he is so nimble...

hornblower likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That doesn't mean that Smith will, at least in terms of staying healthy. With Sam as his QB, he almost certainly won't stay healthy. Sam would get him seriously injured with his inaccuracy.

Losmeister likes this.
  8. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Id be very bad business to take someone in the top 3 because your concerned your division rival, who has a much better team than us right now, might take him.

NCJetsfan and ukjetsfan like this.
  9. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

I trust the talent evaluator but if you rate him as the 2nd best talent in the draft you should take at 2nd overall.

The dolphins drafting him should not be the main reason but it is a legit concern. If he become the best WR of his generation and stay with them for 12+ years make them a perennial playoff team and win them a Super Bowl then yes we should all be concerned if they draft him.

ouchy likes this.
  10. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The player with 3 drops on 89 targets this year is plagued with drops???????????

Losmeister, Mogriffjr and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

The Dolphins are going to draft somebody at 3 who may or may not make them better regardless of who we take. The history of the NFL draft shows there are multiple great players in every draft, so taking Smith doesn’t prevent them from getting a potentially great player it just forces them to take a different potentially great player. It serves zero purpose to to take Smith just to prevent the Fins from getting him.

NCJetsfan, ukjetsfan and PJ4Ever like this.
  12. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

If we can trade down 4-8, we are assured chase or smith...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

picking WR in the draft is tricky/risky business. Check out Jeudy and RUggs stats from last year. not bad but not wow either even though there were so many who thought they were can't miss, game changers. Each had as many fumbles as TDs essentially, and we all saw one of Jeudy's which was a gift (should have been an interception)

So D. Smith may be amazing but i think we need to acknowledge the risk too;

I would be much happier pursuing WR in FA because then there's an NFL body of work to judge -- or poach some of the Steeler's draft room -- they seem to do well identifying WR talent

14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

It doesn't work like this, or it shouldn't at least. Not all positions contribute to wins and losses equally. You'd draft someone you thought could be a good QB way before you'd draft someone who could be a great Safety for example.

If we were set at QB? Fine, take Smith at 2. But we aren't and we have lots of holes elsewhere as well. Trading down is the move if JD doesn't like Fields or Wilson.

15. JetBlue

Unless you believe his impact on the team can potentially be greater than multiple lower graded players. Not being a QB doesn’t equate to him not potentially having a greater impact on the team than other players who you perceive not to be as good; just because you get more of them doesn’t make it a better strategy in and of itself.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

That's true, but I think given how devoid of talent the Jets are just about anywhere it probably would make more sense to get additional picks rather than Smith. And for the record I love Smith and he's one of the better college receivers I've seen. He reminds me of a skinnier OBJ.

NCJetsfan and chandler like this.
  17. JetBlue

In general I’m on board with stockpiling picks, but ultimately doing so only serves the purpose minimizing the risk of each single draft pick, it doesn’t equate to improving your team by adding more players that will be better than what you have.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

We all know crowder has dropsies, we watch the games! Maybe he is getting the issue fixed. But, I recall more than 3 drops this year, maybe they weren’t considered drops, but sure looked like it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Sure, but even Robby is built better than Smith. Smith is seriously thin. It has to be a concern as he moves to the NFL. That is the only thing I said. The guy is super talented obviously.

Losmeister and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, he doesn't. Sorry, you're wrong.

Mogriffjr likes this.