Jets should draft Devonta Smith but wont

Discussion in 'Draft' started by nyjetsgreen, Jan 12, 2021.

1. As time draws closer i may be firmly in the Pitts at 2 or even a few spots lower corner. He has off the charts potential to carry an offense day 1. Can line up every where & impossible to match up w, makes plays at all 3 levels & very good situationally.

He’ll move the chains,make big plays & open things up for others.As good as that Florida skill group was..he was the alpha the offense ran through

NCJetsfan likes this.
  1. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

Looking forward to meeting new poster DevontaSmith in the next month or so.

2. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Because we already know Becton can play LT at a high level in the NFL.

Mogriffjr and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

Why would you take him at 2 when you know you can trade down with someone who wants Smith or Fields and still get Pitts? hes not going top 5 and doubt top 10

PJ4Ever and REVISion like this.
  4. Theres been whispers for awhlle that he may go top 10 & yes even perhaps top 5. Very rare commodity in terms of athleticism, skillset & high level production.

If he runs sub 4.6,puts up a good broad/vert & looks smooth in drills You’re looking at a big jump up boards..and justifiably so

Pepsiguy5 and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  5. NYGANGGREEN

we will see i think hes a stud love him but im not taking him at 2 tbh. Unless you know someone in the top 5 is and hes your highest rated guy which i doubt he would be.

6. It depends how teams envision him/scheme. Just as a traditional in line TE hes not gonna make much sense even in top 10.

If teams realize they can essentially build an offense around him using him as a chess piece that wins match ups all over the field & is still getting better? For a guy that rare think its worth a top 5 pick

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

In a trade back scenario you never know...

8. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

it'd be bold as hell to draft Devonta... i'd love this in particular if they went and got Stafford.

i am never against bold... hell, when they pciked Chez, i was like, wtf? didnt even kow who he was.

then i thought

well at leastthey are "going for it"

9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Pitts in the top 10 after collecting a bounty of picks I can live with. Pitts at 2 and I’m finding the nearest bridge to jump from.

PJ4Ever, Jonathan_Vilma and REVISion like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Were you willing to take Smith at #2? If so, then why not Pitts? Why the discrimination against the TE position? The NE offense for years went through the TE position. A lot of KC's has gone through Kelce. Aaron Rodgers and GB have been hurt by not having a topnotch TE. Pitts would be like having a #1 WR and would be an even bigger mismatch than Smith or Chase.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  11. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

#2 for me is simple. If JD/new HC(or OC if it's a more defensive oriented HC) believe that one of Wilson/Fields/Lance is a FQB then take one of them. If not, you trade down

PJ4Ever, NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  12. NYGANGGREEN

I think if we had a good true number 1 I wouldnt have a problem with it. I might be different in my thought process, but you can have an avg TE look good and open up the middle of the field if they have to respect WR who have the treat to go over the top and middle. But if you have a good TE with no good Wrs its easier to gameplan that. So why would we pick a guy who is built really for the TE position and no ways to open up the field for him? he will get his catches and rack up yards but I dont think it helps as much and he will be limited in his YAC.

13. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Has Jerry finally fucked off?

14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Agreed. But didn't Fields earn benefit of the doubt by beating Trevor with broken ribs last week throwing 6TDs, and then playing hurt again?

The truth is both guys had great games at big stage and not so great. Trevor is ahead, but taking Smith over Fields would be a travesty of 2017 proportions.

bicketybam and PJ4Ever like this.
  15. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

Somebody is gonna want a QB or Sewell. I think it's pretty unlikely we draft at 2 unless we're taking one of those guys for ourselves.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We don't have a situation where we have no good WRs. We have Crowder and Mims, and I'm certain that we'll either add one in FA or the draft or both. Besides it's not easier to game plan a TE like Pitts who is basically a bigger, stronger WR.

You obviously know nothing about Pitts or you wouldn't say that he will be limited in his YAC.

17. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

The only player I’d take at #2 is Sewell. Since we probably won’t do that, I think the best scenario would be to trade with Cincy for the #5. Cincy takes Sewell, Miami likely takes Smith at #3 to pair him with Tua. If all the QBs are fairly equal on our board, ATL can’t hurt us if they draft one of the QBs at #4. We’d then have the opportunity to draft Chase at #5, and still have the possibility to take one of the remaining QBs later if we want one of them ... even if we had to trade up a little from 23 to do it.

In this scenario we’d only get screwed if we have one particular QB rated much higher than the others, and Atl grabs that QB. It’s a risk I’d take, because none of these QBs are worth the #2 pick, and Atlanta may not draft a QB anyway. If they take Chase, we’d still have Pitts available to us as a “consolation prize”.

JetBlue likes this.
  18. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

I’m glad nobody liked your terrible post

19. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Safe like Sam Darnold?