Official Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ray Lucas, Oct 22, 2020.

?

Our Next Head Coach

Poll closed Nov 5, 2020.
  1. Eric Bieniemy

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Arthur Smith

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Greg Roman

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Jim Harbaugh

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Joe Brady

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Other (Please Explain)

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Excellent points NC.
    Great points as always NC. Couldn't agree more. In particular the bold highlights perfectly IMO, the very essence of a successful coach.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

I take Saleh in one second. Would be an outstanding hire.

PJ4Ever and matt robinson 17 like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, of course, but until he's done it, the jury's out. So as long as the jury's out I have my doubts. I'm not saying I know more than Douglas or anyone else, I'm just expressing my reservations about hiring yet another first time coach.

4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

This is a good point, JD has given us a lot of insight into his blueprint, to answer your question, I believe the second round of HC interviews are the ones that share his ideology, you will probably see Smith, Brady, Lewis brought back for second interviews.

5. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I’m all in on Saleh, and I like others as well so I won’t be disappointed either way. As much as I love Daboll as a candidate, the likelihood of him in LA is strong so I wouldn’t want to miss out on another favorite. I like Eberflus, and Smith of those reported, but Saleh is very much up there. I’m so ready to have an answer though, I would love it if he’s there guy and they don’t let him out of the building.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  6. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Can't wait for the female intern to come on board and do more atrocious commercials in Jets gear.

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Very good points Noam. As for the speed in the selection, this smells an awful lot like JD started evaluating the list of candidates way before the end of the season. Its apparent to me a lot of solid work was done behind the scenes early on, reflected on the depth and breath of candidates interviewed. One thing we can say about JD, he sure as shit does his homework thoroughly, and when he makes a mistake, he is the first to admit it. Very refreshing and not typical Jet leadership of the past..
    i respect people's concern about his defensive background, but he fits every square from a leadership perspective, as items 1,2,4,5,7 you mention seem to indicate. No matter the HC, at the end of the day, if the right overall strategy is in place, it is the new OC that will provide the strongest improvement from our execution perspective.
    From my view point, in summary, a player coach that is respected, sets the strategy, develops schemes to fit personnel strength, and he is not an asshole egomaniac. I'm sold.

Noam and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Definitely agree with the "In Joe, We Trust" sentiment. Also agree that if Saleh is Joe's guy, he'll snatch him up quick.

Not sure if he'll be the CEO type, but Saleh's bio indicates that maybe he will? Guy worked his way up from obscurity to NFL HC consideration. Pretty tough thing to do these days. Big break seems to be as a QC coach for Seattle's LOB, then LB coach the Jags, and DC for the 9ers. At each stop, he appears to improve the LB group -- something the Jets could definitely deal with. In any event, climbing the ladder shows that he knows what's required at every step. Useful info if he wants to be a CEO coach.

While my preference is for an offensive HC (e.g., Reid/Payton/McVay/LaFleur), there's nothing wrong with a CEO type (McDermott/Tomlin/Belichik/Carroll) if that's what Joe wants.

PS: Here's a video breakdown of the differences between the 9ers and Hawks defensive schemes.

matt robinson 17 and LAJet like this.
  9. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

This.

See also, Mike Vrabel in Tennessee, who seemed like a surprise hire in 2018.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

1 thing I really like about him is his energy. all out coaches since rex and before rex are zombies on the sidelines. gase, TB, and mangini had the personalities of a potato. Saleh brings energy and emotion.

I want to see the jets back to having fun. i'm tired of seeing our sideline look like a bunch of depressed emo kids smoking outside of school

MoWilkBeast, K'OB and Noam like this.
  11. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Despite your opening line, it seems you're condemning Pederson anyways in your closing sentence lol

12. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

49ers DC Robert Saleh has emerged as the early frontrunner in the Jets' head-coaching search. Saleh is going to NJ for a second interview, source confirmed (NFL Network first). As I've said, Saleh would be an excellent choice. He has the leadership traits and track record to succeed in a tough situation. Thing is, the Jaguars, Lions, Falcons, Chargers and now the Eagles have interest. It's a competitive situation. The Jets might have to move quickly.

Noam, SOJAZ and Borat like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Nope. I'm not condemning him because I don't know what happened, but IF he DID do that, I would be opposed to him.

K'OB likes this.
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

That is a HUGE concern for Eric, partially for the Jets, coming off Gase. Eric was working with running backs when Mahomes came to KC, and cannot take credit for his blossoming in year two. Basically all his OC success is with Patrick. This is reminiscent of Gase's biggest success with Manning. On top of that he has not called plays. Then Mahomes advocates for him like Manning did for Gase. I just think the Jets cannot take this risk again, right after Gase. Nothing wrong with talking to the guy, but I don't think he will get the job. Maybe someone else will take a chance like we did with Gase, but coming right after Gase, Jets are not it.

15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

What is the point of an OC if he isn't calling plays?

We have just had our own version of this and fucked if I know what he did on the sidelines and I am still unsure he ever called a fucking play at the end of the season.

He is listed as the QB coach as well, well that was a rip roaring success for Loggains

Jets79 and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

Whether it's fair or not, Eric B's past would come up a lot more in say the NY market then a smaller team market (JAX)

17. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

19. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

What I have seen from this move so far today is that he's the most wanted man, by the way there's messages out there that other teams are seriously interested.

From what I like so far is that the man's been in football for years and years and will have connections to bring in a very good staff.

I look at youngsters like the lad from the Bengals. He has coordinators turning him down left and right, which isn't what I want to see at all.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

20. rinvesto

rinvesto Well-Known Member

Mike Garafolo on NFL Network just said among the 2 finalist for the Jets job are Saleh and Arthur Smith

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.