Official Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ray Lucas, Oct 22, 2020.

?

Our Next Head Coach

Poll closed Nov 5, 2020.
  1. Eric Bieniemy

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Arthur Smith

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Greg Roman

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Jim Harbaugh

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Joe Brady

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Other (Please Explain)

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Talking to some of my NFC team fan buddies,the consensus is Roseman is the catalyst in the Eagles mess & that Pederson will be a steal for who ever lands him.

It’d be hard to believe in JD as the answer & not support his conviction for who he wants to work with.

2. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I predicted we’d hire Pederson weeks ago. Whereas I was LIVID when we hired Gase, I’m luke warm on this. The fact is he went to the playoffs 3 of 4 years and won a Super Bowl. Which immediately makes his resume a quantum leap over anyone we’ve had here for 40 years, aside from Parcells.

Yeah it’s distressing what’s happened to Wentz, but it’s funny how nobody wants to credit him for how good Hurts looks so far. I bet 90% of you guys would take him over Sam tomorrow.

At the very least we need to bring him in for an interview. If that’s who JD decides to go with, I can live with it. Mainly because none of these other guy get me excited either way. In a perfect world, the guy I’d want is David Shaw from Stanford, but unfortunately he’s not going anywhere.

Brook!, cval and REVISion like this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Jeremiah and Douglas are boys. Not good.

cval likes this.
  4. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Yeah I believe in JD so if he thinks this is the answer then we should live or die with it

Only thing that’s concerning is Wentz’s decline under DP. On the other hand Hurts looked pretty good as a rookie

5. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Can someone give a non week 17 reason not to want Pederson? It seems like Roseman did a shitty job post SB, Wentz isn't very good and their roster went to shit. That's not on the coach.
    I admittedly don't follow the eagles but he had a damn good game plan against the pats with an offense that was light years better than Gase's garbage.

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

There's been drama surrounding the Eagles for the last two years. Carson Wentz got worse. They developed no talent on the offensive side of the ball. And the reports coming out today are that Pederson was "sick of being told what to do". That doesn't sound like a coach you want at all.

rickjet and Snatch Catch like this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It's terrible in my opinion. Gase was awful in Miami. Clashed with ownership and was fired. The Jets instantly hired him. He was even worse with the Jets. Pederson has done the exact same thing the last couple seasons after winning a Super Bowl. Jets fans are upset because he has a great relationship with Douglas and could be a slam dunk hire. It's potentially going to be awful.

8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Pederson to Jets picking up steam. Everyone seems to be panicking but I actually think this might be a steal if the Jets get him. Eagles fans by and large seem to think their main problem was Roseman, not Pederson. It was only a couple years ago that Pederson was considered one of the best coaches in the league. He also definitely fits the "CEO-type" that the Jets are apparently looking for.

rickjet, cmcm750203 and bmfc1 like this.
  9. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

This is exactly where I am with it. There are enough reasons for me personally to dislike his candidacy, but I've bought all the stock in Douglas I can, so at this point I'm ready to get rolling with whomever it is he decides on.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO it's debatable as to what that has to do with the kind of job that he would do as a HC. As an OC, he had zero control over the offensive personnel that he had to work with. He did the best he could do with what he had to work with. It could indicate that he wasn't a good OC, or he could be a very good or great OC but was just saddled with a mediocre QB, or a bad OL, or few weapons to help the QB. The HC could have also been very conservative. You'd have to look at each situation, see who the HC was, know what type of HC he was, look at the offensive players on the team and how well they did both before and after Daboll was there, what kind of injuries may have happened while he was there, etc.

SOJAZ likes this.
  11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I like that Pederson is ballsy. He is always aggressive with his decision making. Wentz goes down, he completely changes his offense on the fly to accommodate Foles' skillset. Gets himself a SB

Then Wentz starts sucking, he benches him for Hurts and changes his offense again. Although it was too late probably because he was facing immense pressure from the front office and agents to stick with Wentz. Which is what that tweet "Pederson got tired of people telling him what to do" was exactly what it was referring to.

rickjet, Brook!, SOJAZ and 3 others like this.
  12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

On a side note, one thing I don't want in our next HC is a reliance or even a strong belief in analytics. This has become a stupid trend that is for amateurs. Sure there are small portions of things where analytics come in handy. But it has been blown way out of proportion.

If a coach understands his team, how they are playing, his opponent, how they are playing, his playbook, and what is going on in the game to that point, then they have no need for analytics to make foolish decisions for them. In short, a good coach doesn't need this stuff.

13. NCJetsfan

Well, if true, that's certainly not good. Sounds like he needs to go do something else where he can be his own boss.

14. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

I mean maybe Wentz just sucks? And re: being told what to do, what I've read is he wanted to elevate people on the coaching staff and ownership wanted an established OC. If I'm a coach, especially one who won a SB, I don't want ownership telling me who my staff should be.

rickjet, legler82, NoodleArm and 5 others like this.
  15. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

Yes Roseman did a pretty shitty job with the roster, but the complete and utter collapse of Wentz (both on field and their relationship) is on Pederson. His stubbornness with the pass even when his QB and O-Line was deteriorating is very concerning after what we saw with Gase.

Also, while I'm not ready to call Jalen Hurts a bust, his success has been vastly overrated and opposing defense seemed to adjust to him very quickly.

rickjet, SOJAZ and cmcm750203 like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

LOL what. analytics is entirely about understanding your team, how they are playing, the opponent and what is going on in the game. That is literally analytics.

the 4 AFC teams left by the way (Bills, Ravens, Chiefs, Browns) all have a strong reliance on analytics. its no coincidence

17. NCJetsfan

True. If JD hires him after conducting all his interviews, I'll trust him and hope for the best. If he just pre-emptively hires him now and doesn't do any futher interviews, then I'll worry that it was just because they are friends. He's already done that once (accepting to work with Gase). If he does it again, he damn well better be right. If not, I'll want his ass fired and hope that he never works in football again.

18. REVISion

Eagles fans seem to be siding with Pederson on this, saying Roseman is the real issue. That's pretty telling imo.

rickjet, SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

I like an aggressive HC. I also like someone who builds his offense around his QB and doesn't try to fit a square peg into a round hole. So maybe there's hope that he could be a good hire.

20. REVISion

I couldn't disagree more. The vast majority of the successful new hires in recent years have been young guys who are very in tune with analytics and how the game can be better played.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.