Peter King: "Jets Struck It Rich" When Fields KO'd Clemson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Jan 4, 2021.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Here is what would likely happen if we trade with the Bengals:

2. Cinn drafts Sewell.
    3. Miami trade Fields for God knows what?
    4. Atlanta takes Wilson.

Lets look at 3. Miami gets to cash out on Fields.

For those not paying attention Miami traded all their talent when Gase left and have been rebuilding for 2 years. They are now 10-6 and still have more top 50 picks this draft then the Jets do. They are light years ahead of us in a rebuild. If we allow them to cash in on the Fields trade we might as well hand them a SB, while we are still muddling at 5-11.

People think we have enough capital to properly rebuild our team and we are not even close.

The good news is I'm pretty sure JD understand this.

2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Agree with this. He's also a phenomenal runner so I could see JD talking himself into him even if his overarching philosophy for offense is more run-based. Fields is also closer to a Newton-type runner than a Lamar-type. He's really sturdily built like Newton, especially lower body.

Borat and Footballgod214 like this.
  3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I get the concern, but if the trade works out for us I’m not terribly concerned if Miami also improves. I’m not high on Tua so if they kept him and traded the pick, I’m not convinced they will be a consistent threat no matter the team they build around him.

The wildcard would, indeed, be Atlanta. That being said I’d be willing to take Matt Ryan off their hands and roll with him at QB over a rookie anyways.

4. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

At 2 the pick has to be Fields for either us or someone we trade back with taking Fields. Sewell hasn’t played in a year and won’t command the capital for number 2 overall.

Miami will take Sewell, D Smith or Chase though so they are still looking good...

ouchy likes this.
  5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I recall not too long ago that 'runners' or 'scrambling QBs' were dinged for this....teams wanted a tall pocket passer and they saw QBs who took off on a regular basis as a liability. Rule changes that tag a defender for 15 yards for even THINKING about breathing on a QB may have something to do with the success of running QBs lately!

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The problem with Flacco is that he is an immobile QB and not the same style as Fields, and maybe not Morgan. If Flacco is starting, that means the offense would need to be designed around him, then in order for Fields or maybe Morgan to play, the offense would have to be changed perhaps significantly. I'd rather have Tyrod Taylor since he at least is the same style QB. We'd just have to hope that he stays healthy or Fields would have to play earlier than expected, or Morgan would play.

#286 NCJetsfan, Jan 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    HomeoftheJets likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

I know I won't be happy (unless my mind has changed by the draft), but I will give JD the benefit of the doubt and continue to trust him until he proves untrustworthy. If he passes on a QB totally, then more than likely, I'll be done with him and the Jets, because I'll believe that he is a dumbass and the Jets have no hope for the future.

Borat and REVISion like this.
  8. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

He is also "we first" and cares for his brothers. His desire to win is very strong. He would bring a culture change here.

I also agree with you about JoeD. Also he has many people in Baltimore who he is close with and they drafted Lamar who has been of course a beast.

I am sure JoeD is going with his scout instincts. The other thing is look at who he has been drafting, Becton and Mims. Both are physically gifted.
    Fields has the speed, the arm, the leadership, the toughness, the respect of his peers and that killer instinct. It will be a big decision and I am sure Joe will consider all of that.

9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Look at how many didn't.

10. NCJetsfan

Good post!

11. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

To be honest I don't love running QB's. I just think eventually they all get hurt and it's a dangerous game to play with your most important player. If a guy is primarily a passer who also happens to be a good runner I'm fine with it. Just trying to think of how JD could be looking at the prospects and talking himself into/out of them.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Just recently there was a thread where QB in top 11 won large chunk of last 20 SBs, and top 32 picks won majority, a stat that is skewed Brady, who himself won 6. But even if you take that away, just look at 5 recent drafts:

2016: R1: Goff (1), Wentz (2), Lynch (26). R2+: Hack, Brissett, Kessler, Cook, Prescott, Jones, Hogan, Sudfeld, Rudock, Allen, Driskel, Doughty
    2017: R1: Mitch (2), Mahomes (10), Watson (12). R2+: Kizer, Davis Webb, Beathard, Dobbs, Peterman, Kaaya, Kelly
    2018: R1: Baker (1), Sam (3), Allen (7), Rosen (10), Jackson (32). R2+: Rudolph, Lauletta, White, Falk, Lee, Etling, NcGouth, Woodside
    2019: R1: Murray (1), Jones (6), Haskins (15). R2+: Lock, Grier, Finley, Stidham, Stick, Thorson, Minshew, McSorley
    2020: R1: Burrow (1), Tua (5), Herbert (6), Love (26). R2+: Hurts, Eason, Morgan, Fromm, Luton, McDOnald, DiNucci, Stevens, Stanley

If you look, out of 18 first rounders, 14 are starters for their teams today. 10 of these guys are in top 12. 7 in top 6.

8 guys with pro bowl appearances, 2 in SB, 2 MVP, you name it.

Out of 45 second rounders and above, 2 are starters, 1 of which Pro Bowl guy (Dak).

So, yes, it is a hit or miss, but let's be fair in the evaluation, the hits are MUCH MUCH MUCH better in first round, particularly top 12, and top 6.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I posted this article a couple of years ago to support my contention about the 1st round - for most positions - has an overwhelming advantage over any other round. The exception to this is for TEs and WRs - although for WRs, the drop off after Round 2 is significant.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015...e-statistics-tell-us-about-the-draft-by-round

NCJetsfan, REVISion and Borat like this.
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Interestingly enough, this was 2015 article, and I posted data from 2016 onwards, kind of extending to present day. The stats seem to hold up, if anything more first rounders are doing better. Hopefully that translates into drafting Fields soon enough.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I hope so.

With the one draft sample size there's no way to draw accurate inferences about what Douglas might do, but he DID wait until the 2nd round for a WR, and since he had to assume that Darnold was the QB for now, he went with the next greatest need, OL, with his first pick. What we don't know is what HE considers the biggest need this time. If it's QB, then he might very well use the #2 for Fields or Wilson, or he might gamble and trade back a couple spots and hope he can still get one of them. Based on the numbers from the article though, if he doesn't take a QB in the 1st round, he likely isn't, and he'll either be rolling with Sam or looking to trade for one - Watson maybe?

EDIT:

And to clarify, if he's trading for one (or signing a FA) we'll know that before the draft.

Borat and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'd imagine that trend will continue exponentially as well because the NFL is so quarterback-centric. Their value is skyrocketing and will move up even more as we seen the golden boys in Rivers, Roethlisberger, Brees, etc. retire.

17. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

As optimistic as this is, it warrants consideration that Peter King is a stupid oaf.

abyzmul likes this.
  18. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

#298 Snatch Catch, Jan 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  19. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

well lets see if fields can do a solid for the jets.....maybe jones as well.

ouchy likes this.
  20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Couple thoughts come to mind

1. Kind of shows that Ohio State does not produce NFL quality QBs, like ever

2. Justin Fields has been throwing to wide open receivers and has had little to no pressure for most of those games....and he p,aged shitty the few times he faced good defenses

3. On the plus side, I do think Fields played great against Clemson, and if he can play really well against Bama, I’ll feel a lot better about him

but on the whole, I am for sure NOT sold on Fields....he may be great in the NFL, or he may suck like pretty much every other OSU QB before him.