The Coming Jets Trade: Sam or #2 Pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Jan 3, 2021.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Any team that isn't being contracted in 3 years has enough draft capital to trade for the #2.

#261 abyzmul, Jan 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  2. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

I think this is a bad yr to have the 2 overall pick or Miamis 3 overall pick. Unless Fields impresses Monday night,I think it is going to be hard to find teams wanting to trade up.Sewell is really good but not the player you get a big trade package for. Also I do not like he has not played in a yr. Guys always seem to get injuries trying to get back on the field after sitting a yr. I am also hearing this kid Rashawn Slater from Northwestern some guys are saying is as good as Sewell. I do not know. Also I can not recall a top three drafted tackle winning a superbowl. It seems the excitement in this draft are the wide outs ,parsons,and Pitts They are all going 4-10 most likely and that seems to be where everybody wants to be. I think we stay put and draft Fields/Wilson and pray

3. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

I don’t think I’ve posted here for probably a decade, but I have to jump in here and now. I see people debating Sewell vs QBX. It’s a fine debate that no one can answer, but just look to our own history to see the value of Sewell. We have been at our best with good O-Lines. Mawae and mangold. Brick and even Fabini. Those guys made average QBs look good. Chad? Vinny? Ray Lucas?!

Then, think about the trade value. Everyone believes three QBs will be go 1,2,3 and the Falcons at 4 want one. Trade down, risk nothing, get Sewell at the same spot we got Brick.

then consider our second first along with the falcons haul, likely at least their second. You are still in line to draft someone like Rashawn Slater (to be center) with the Seahawks pick AND still have an early second to spend on a playmaker.

To me, that is a dominant OL, something that joe Douglas would surely appreciate, not just because he is a former OL, but because it is financially feasible to keep a good OL intact for a decade and less of a draft crapshoot, and all that spells success for Sam Darnold.

4. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

Here’s some history on tackles (that i didn’t know myself. Interesting to think about tackles drafted high and their worth): https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si...4/nfl-draft-combine-offensive-tackles-history

I like slater AND Sewell AND Becton. Try that on for a decade.

5. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

VOMIT.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah I don't think I'd be able to stomach having Master Blaster at QB.

7. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

I’ve been on the draft a tackle wagon for a while, but the more I look at DeVonta Smith, and how he may be the best wr out of Alabama over many years, and a clone of Antonio brown in his prime...I think an upgrade at wr helps more than at offensive tackle. Fant wasn’t elite but he held his own.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

There's a lot to be said for drafting Sewell, but it would likely have to be at #2 because there's a very good chance that Miami will take him given they just drafted Tua last year. Sure, maybe they want to move on already, but maybe not. I suppose though that even if they took Sewell, JD would still have a lot of options to follow - take a QB or the best WR or Edge, or maybe trade back a bit more, get more good picks and then go to work filling our many positions of need. I have no idea what his game plan is, but I do trust he is the best GM we've had in many many years so I'm not too worried.

ouchy likes this.
  9. Play Like A Jet

Interesting point to note is that every team in the AFC has a starting QB who was taken in the first 2 rounds of the NFL draft besides the Jaguars who are poised to take a QB first overall.

For all of the Brady's and Wilson's of the world, it's much more common for teams to take a QB early. 13/16 AFC teams started a 1st rounder at QB this season.

10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I did come across this article by Cimini. ""I know Joe Douglas. I obviously played with him in college. We have a good relationship," McShay said. "I know he grew up in the Ozzie Newsome organization with the Ravens. If it's not going to be Trevor Lawrence, it's going to be move down, if possible. If not, let's protect [Darnold] and get guys around the player we think can be our franchise... I know they like Sam. I think they would view Trevor as a potential upgrade, but I think they view Sam as good enough to build around. That's what they have to do. ... They can build an entire organization in the next two years of the draft [with four first-round picks], and I think that's exactly what Joe Douglas is going to do." ... Douglas believes the bulk of the scouting is done; he sees this as the "final-piece-to-the-puzzle" stage."

McShay claims he knows JD and they will keep Sam and try to maximize value of #2 and keep Sam. While I concede they did play in College and had some interactions, it seems McShay/Cimini is full of crap. I don't even think JD knows what he will do yet. The impression I got out of the interview with Douglas and the fact he did take a shot at QB at later rounds suggests maybe he likes Sam less than what ESPN writers indicate. Also, how can scouting be done at this stage, when the biggest game has not been played yet, combines did not happen, interviews didn't happen, private workouts didn't happen, there is not even a coach hired who will have big input. Just sounds like a total BS to frank.

11. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Borat you already know...McShay is jerking out random bogus thoughts and trying to justify it. They are holding a big L for their failed assessment of Darnold

Borat likes this.
  12. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Seems it could be Brees final run today, another place I think Darnold would serve well playing.

13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I never listen to anything Todd or Mel have to say, it’s just clickbait they have to get people to read their tweets or whatever they put out to justify their existence and salary.

With regards to the scouting being nearly complete, why is it so difficult to believe that it’s near completion?

They are already looking at guys for next year 2022.

What do you think the scouts have been doing all this time?

JD said the interviews and combines finish off the grades. One game should not sway a GM for good or bad.

chandler and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I do think scouts have been doing their job, but without workouts, interviews, where they can present these QBs with different scenarios, talk to them, and particularly without a head coach, I just don't believe JD knows what he going to do yet. And yes, I do feel Alabama game will factor into the decision making as well as another data point.

15. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

If Fields has a good game tomorrow night, I want him; no ifs, ands, or buts. Sam has given us no reason to keep him, especially when we have an excellent prospect fall into our lap. Our entire history has been the us passing up can't miss prospects with no explanation other than complete incompetence. I'm tired of hearing that none of this is on Sam "because he didn't have [insert excuses]." Sam makes tons of bad decisions, and he hasn't shown that he's learned from them. I don't want to build a solid line around a QB who wouldn't know how to use it anyway. I want a good QB behind a solid line.

16. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

As I've posted before, if JD/New HC rates one of the non-TL QB's as a true franchise QB, you have to grab him at #2 as there are too many QB needy teams in the top 10. However, and this is how I predict it going, if JD/HC doesn't rate any of those QB's as a franchise QB, you definitely need to trade down...lots of wishful thinking here but you've got ATL at 4 who I think are ready to draft a successor and may feel they won't get this type of opportunity again...So what if you could trade down to #4 w/ ATL and it goes TL, QB#2 to ATL, Sewell to Mia...then w/ the Jets on the clock, could they trade down again to cash in more w/ say Carolina or Denver who both may be QB hungry and still get a top 10 pick. Not sure it's possible but food for thought...

chandler likes this.
  17. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

I think Fields is going #1 if Urban goes to Jacksonville (assuming he has a good game vs Bama). The NY media doesn’t understand college football and how ingrained Urban is to that Ohio St program. I can tell you the Ohio St coaches absolutely love Fields.

18. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Kahn said he was making the pick, too much money involved to not take Lawrence. Not to mention the fan blowback would be huge. TL is absolutely going #1

19. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

You think he’s going to pay $12MM for Urban and not hand him the keys? Absurd. Urban is going to make that pick not Khan.

20. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profoo...ing-the-first-pick-in-the-2021-nfl-draft/amp/

“I kept the roster control and the candidates, the General Manager candidates, I’ve been talking to them, that for the immediate future I’m going to keep the roster control. And I want the coach to know that also,”

Sure it's possible he picks Fields but the chance is incredibly thin unless he lights it up tomorrow night.