Official Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ray Lucas, Oct 22, 2020.

?

Our Next Head Coach

Poll closed Nov 5, 2020.
  1. Eric Bieniemy

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Arthur Smith

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Greg Roman

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Jim Harbaugh

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Joe Brady

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Other (Please Explain)

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Sure, perhaps he does. Just seems to me success with Marvin Lewis is 5 years of 8-8 before he retires at 67. That's pure speculation obviously but everything is just speculative at this point. I just want to be excited to turn on the TV on Sundays and watching guys like Mcvay, Saleh and Kingsbury running down the sideline on a pick 6 in excitement is more palatable to me than watching Marvin Lewis stand there with that stern trying to figure out a crossword look on his face.
    If we are going to be a hot up and coming franchise I just don't see that happening with Marvin Lewis.

NYJetsO12 and cmcm750203 like this.
  2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I may be wrong about this but I never interpreted their CEO stance as what you’re saying.

I think they just want someone who is involved in all facets of the team, the exact opposite of Gase. That’s not to say that whoever they bring in won’t have a larger focus on their area of expertise (Smith/Bienemy/Daboll on O, Saleh/Eberflus/etc. on D) but they want that person to oversee all facets of the team and build a winning culture.

I still believe they would be allowed to implement their scheme and try to build the team needed to run that. With that being said though, I also believe they want someone who is flexible because again Gase was not and we all saw how that worked. We can’t hire HC’s anymore that try to force square pegs into round holes. We can have an overarching offensive and defensive scheme while still being fluid enough to maximize the potential of our roster by allowing our players to do what they do best and put them in positions to succeed.

Obviously I’m not in these interviews but with the news that Campbell is out, my top 4 would be:

Daboll
    Smith
    Saleh
    Eberflus

#922 KY Jets Fan, Jan 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  3. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

I
    In that scenario It would be Bienemy and Smiths offense. They would likely delegate the play calling to someone else, but also be very involved. Rex was never calling plays for the Jets.

After Gase and Bowles the Jets really need a real head coach and that is what Marvin Lewis is. Much like Marty Schottenheimer I could see him coming in and getting the process started. Is he the guy to lead the Jets to the Super Bowl? Probably not, but that’s not what they need right now.

4. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

This is where we disagree. If you say Marvin Lewis probably won't lead us to the super bowl but is good for "getting the process started" then that is precisely what I don't want to see. I don't want another 3 or 4 years of rectification of the culture before even considering a super bowl run, I don't see how they could sell the fan base on that. Is that what we need? Maybe but it's not what anyone wants or expects imo. I get that it takes time to turn a franchise around in a lot of people's eyes but the fact is that it doesn't in the NFL. Teams can swing back to relevance in a season or two and do all the time.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Appreciate the feed back, how about a team like the Ravens, Harbaugh didn’t come in as anything but a secondary coach, if he loses a DC or OC he simply hires another one.

Do you think he’s guiding the OC or DC? He may manage the game over the headset and tell the coordinators what he’s looking to do during the game and helping out with the game plan in preparation for the game but I don’t believe Harbaugh has a scheme on offense or defense.

It’s going to be interesting who they hire and how they go about it that’s for sure.

I like your list of HC candidates, minus Daboll.

SOJAZ likes this.
  6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I think Harbaugh is guiding the OC and DC to an extent. I agree in that I don’t think Harbaugh is telling the OC/DC what to run every single play.

I think good organizations allow their HC to put the guys in place that helps them build their idea of what the team should look like (main reason I wasn’t a fan of the Gase/Gregg forced marriage). So while Harbaugh may not have direct input on every single play, he and the coordinators have developed a game plan throughout the week and Harbaugh allows his OC/DC to run that game plan and change it if adjustments need to be made.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  7. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

IMO, Lewis looks like the front runner here. Douglas has been preaching culture since he got here and Lewis certainly brought that over from the Ravens once he got the Cincinnati job.

I remember hearing an interview with TJ Houshmandzadeh about how awful the situation was in Cincinnati - inadequate locker room amenities, players having to pay for there jock straps, etc, and Lewis fought there cheap ass owner on changing all that and to a degree, won.

I understand why some might grown at the hire, but the dude turned around a horrible franchise pretty quickly. Our horrible franchise could certainly use something similar.

ColoradoContrails and SOJAZ like this.
  8. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

matt Campbell reportedly not taking interview with Jets. Can’t link it but it came from the trade rumors app and was reported by Bruce Feldman at the athletic.

9. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

LLOLL....well if marvin lewis is the pot at the end of the rainbow after this team has gone thru rex (after 2010), idzik, macagnan, and gase, not sure if its even worth commenting on.

goes to show everyone that the fish stinks at the top and anyone worth their salt in the NFL knows it.

will also bet that the trump association is not working in their favor. (which i disagree with but it is what it is)

very disappointing if this evolves.

K'OB and NYJetsO12 like this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

its the Johnson family, they simply aren't going to offer 12 mil per year ever.

Lewis aint a bad choice having said that

SOJAZ likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yes agreed. I think a CEO type is about cohesion throughout the whole team and they will also be hiring coordinators and coaches that fit that team identity. IE not going to hire a WCO coach if they want to be a run n gun team.

It was a big problem with Gase and Bowles. "I'll coach the unit I'm comfortable with and you do whatever the fuck you want on the other side - just don't get me in trouble." Obviously Bowles was 1,000 times better though.

It was also obvious that Gase was not involved in defensive decision making at critical junctures of the game as evident by the Raiders game. I don't think Bowles was either. Big problem. You can just tell that John Harbaugh with the Ravens is. When we have the ball up with six minutes left what do we want to do? On defense down 6 how do we get the ball back? Those are things the head coach should influence.

12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Marvin Lewis got fired for a reason..

Cincinnati sucked and really went no where and they kept renewing his contract? Sound familiar?

Who is comparing ML to Mike M a SB winning coach

He would be a very dismal hire

13. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Marvin Lewis honestly isn't the worst choice for a CEO type and culture change. He did great things in Cincy but never won a playoff game which really irked me

ColoradoContrails and SOJAZ like this.
  14. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

As for Lewis I think it depends which Lewis we’re going to get. The Lewis that was trying to make Cincinnati an actually professional team or the Lewis that had years to get shit in order already.

For reference, Marvin Lewis from 2003-2008:

.484 with only 1 year of making the playoffs

Marvin Lewis from 2009-2015:

.594 with only 1 year of missing the playoffs

and obviously no playoff wins but take from that what you will.

15. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I posted that video in here not too long ago. They had no water or Gatorade on the field. Lewis changed everything for the Bengals.

16. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Seems the Iggles may move on from Pederson

not sure I’m okay with him anymore considering that last game.

17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I would lose almost all faith in Douglas if he ends up hiring Pederson. As much as I loved it for entertainment purposes, the guy just openly tanked a professional football game and lost half of the locker room because of it. Also call me crazy, but the last time we hired a coach immediately after he was fired by another team, it didn’t work out all that well. If we made this move then the franchise would deserve every bit of slack and most likely poor results we get.

18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

This is the crux of what I was getting to, the question now becomes out of all the guys the Jets are interviewing which 2 or 3 candidates fit that mold?

We know they all don’t fit that criteria.

Marvin Lewis
    Arthur Smith
    ??

19. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Johnson's meddling again?

20. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Well what would you say to not fired but giving up a pick instead??

I don't even dislike Pederson but come on now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.