Rex Ryan on 2018 Draft Class-Prefers Allen

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I did watch. He had a massive number of overthrows and throws on the run that were nowhere near his target.

He panicked on a regular basis under pressure and took 30 yard sacks in the process. He would turn his back on the rush and lose 15 yards more after there was almost no chance of a positive outcome on the play.

The thing that is most perplexing about his play then and his play now is that often a very low completion percentage is a result of a QB throwing the ball away too often under pressure, however this was not one of his faults. He almost never threw the ball away under pressure - trying to hit targets even when the throw was ridiculously unlikely to succeed.

I suspect that what the Bills have done with him is to get him to buy into a checkdown mode where he throws the short pass that is open without making later reads in the process. This would explain 8.4 air yards per attempt with a completion percentage of nearly 70%. I also suspect they have him on beta blockers to suppress the fight-or-flight responses that characterized his earlier play. Both have made him a better QB however are unlikely to make him a better playoff QB. We'll see.

2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Not interested in re-litigating Allen’s draft evaluation but we saw different things. Like I said at the time I didn’t think his CMP% was reflective of his accuracy.

3. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Interesting.....last 2 QB's to hit it off quickly are strong-armed Allen and Herbert.

4. Dont ya know? Arm strength doesnt matter,size doesnt matter.

All jet fans care about is “accuracy” which for most is really just completion % & not even actual ball placement.

Folks got so much shit for even LIKING Allen..the masses should not live this down.

And the exact reason why the hype on here for Fields & Wilson means less than 0 to me.

screw the Allen haters from
    18.F off.

5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I would get attacked in my conviction that Allen was the way better prospect than Rosen.
    Loved Allen, hated Rosen.
    I also liked Darnold.

Looking back now, I'm convinced none of them would have succeeded here under these circumstances though.
    Many people here seem to think drafting a QB will change the fortunes of this franchise single handedly.
    Personally I think getting the right HC will matter more than the QB decision.

themorey, JetsKickAss, Brook! and 2 others like this.
  6. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Yep I remember discussing Allen as a prospect with you, and I feel like maybe Wentz before that (who I also really liked).

Let me ask you, what do you think of Lance?
    Not as big as those other two, but I love the poise in pocket, toughness, the arm, and the athleticism to improvise.
    And of course..playing in the elements.

Looking forward to watching more tape of him.
    I do wish there was more tape, which if probably my biggest concern.

legler82 likes this.
  7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Lance played 1 game this year right? I don’t have much of an opinion; sample size too small. I’ll say this; from the little I’ve seen he reminds me a bit of Donovan McNabb. I think he is going to have some a accuracy issues in the league.

Royal Tee likes this.
  8. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Who do you like in this drat as a QB Kurt?

9. The only QB i feel strongly about is Lance. Fields at least makes big plays & has strong intangibles despite staring down targets.Want no part of Wilson or others

Royal Tee and Brook! like this.
  10. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

I guess they knew something huh?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Brook! likes this.
  11. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

I'm glad we were on the same page with Allen. I had no clue what people were watching in 2018 when they said he would bust. He had all the tools and played incredibly competitive. Like, at worst he was a less accurate Cam Newton with a stronger arm. I agree with you that Fields isn't anything special. I disagree on Wilson though. I think he has all the arm talent in the world to be successful, but there could be some character/family issues that need to be background checked. I started watching Lance recently and I do see something special there. He's a project but he doesn't wilt under pressure. Very underrated speed for a bigger guy. I really hope Fields lights up the championship and someone like Atlanta wants to trade up for Fields. Then we can snipe Lance.

BacktoQueens likes this.