Rumor: Deshaun Watson will ask for a trade

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Poeman, Jan 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

If Fields beats Bama and his stock soars, that #2 pick could become more attractive to Houston than multiple 1st round, likely non-QB picks. Not saying that’s all it could take, but it wouldn’t take much more.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He's definitely not faster. But what does arm strength matter when Watson clearly showed that he has plenty of arm for the NFL? He has top five arm talent in the NFL and has proven that on the professional level.

And when I say arm talent, I say that when factoring in not only pure strength and ability to throw the ball both deep and with enough zip to the sidelines, but also accuracy both in the pocket and off platform.

Rockinz and NYJFOREVER like this.
  3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

For sure. We need Fields to absolutely light it up come Monday night.

JetBlue and stinkyB like this.
  4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Sold

NYJFOREVER and dawinner127 like this.
  5. JetBlue

Absolutely. And, just for speculative fun, let’s say that Urban Meyer/Fields tandem to Jacksonville comes to fruition. The Texans would absolutely swap Lawrence straight up for Watson; that would be an interesting quandary JD would have to consider. Salary ramifications aside, getting a proven QB of Watson’s caliber is hard to pass up even for the potential of Lawrence, especially if it is straight up.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

7. NCJetsfan

8. NCJetsfan

It's not that simple. Watson alone isn't going to fix the Jets. Yes, he's a great player, but we need an OL in front of him and weapons around him. If we have to trade a slew of 1st and 2nd round picks, we couldn't build around him.

KY Jets Fan and Since1969 like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

You're not being realistic at all. The Texans have already said that it would take at least 3 #1 picks and 3 2nd round picks to even get the conversation started. The Jets cannot do that.

JetBlue likes this.
  10. dawinner127

You still have what, 7 picks in this years draft and 7 picks in next years draft if you offered my trade from a posts ago? There is plenty of capital to still build this roster out while adding an elite QB.

Where did they say that? Link please

11. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Arm strength is overrated. Who cares if the guy can’t flick his wrist and throw it 60 yards like Rodgers, Allen, or Mahomes?

The guy has the arm strength to make every throw he needs to and produces like he’s a top 3 QB in the league (which he is).

12. NCJetsfan

My objection is the cost. We wouldn't be able to build around him, yet would be expected to be an immediate contender by adding him. Those two things don't add up and don't equal success. Of course he's a great QB and if we had a solid team like the Niners, it would be a no-brainer. For the Dolphins, it's a no-brainer. For the Jets, it isn't. He would make us very competitive and we'd get very good QB play if he could stay healthy (unless we're able to upgrade our OL and weapons, that may not happen), but he finished 4-12 with the Texans this year. Would you really be happy with 3-4 years of 8-8 or 9-7 and then maybe be able to make a leap? How about all those stats where a QB supposedly has to get to and win a SB in his rookie contract, or it won't happen?

ouchy likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

For that, I'd probably do it, but I don't think it will be anywhere near that cheap, nor do I think he'd want to come here. IMO the Niners and the Dolphins make a LOT more sense.

14. JetBlue

If that’s accurate I don’t see JD biting on that after a 2-14 season. That’s a trade you only make if you think the QB immediately elevates you to SB contender, not simply elevates you to being a playoff contender.

the difference from going from a playoff contender to a SB contender is like the difference in energy it takes to get to 99% the speed of light to getting from 99% to 100% — that extra 1% is greater than the first 99%.

point is it’s easy to be a playoff contender; half the league essentially is every year, but only a handful are SB contenders. Simply making a trade to become a playoff contender, especially if it hinders the ability to take that next, and more difficult step, to SB contender, isn’t worth it.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

I heard on the Dan Patrick show this morning that the championship game may not even happen. Supposedly, upwards of 20 OSU players and 3 starting DL tested positive for Covid. Again, supposedly, OSU and the Big Ten have contacted the NCAA asking for the game to be postponed.

16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

They finished 18th in points and 13th in yards. Yea he's a big part of that but Cooks, Cobb, Fuller would undoubtedly all be WR1 on the Jets and David Johnson was far better than Gore by every metric.

It barely even matters, I think Watson is top tier, borderline elite. I'll never argue that. I'm just saying he would be leaving a situation better than ours and that situation was pretty bleak.

ouchy likes this.
  17. BroadwayAaron

I think that's a generous price tag. If they move him, which I don't even think they will, I think they'll ask for and get more.

I was talking offense. I know that the record is indicative of the whole team though, so that's my bad.

18. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

And how exactly are the Jets going to rebuild around him if they give up the kind of packages I'm seeing in this thread to get him while at the same time paying him the contract he signed last offseason?

I don't see a match here.

He wants out of Houston because he wants to win so he's going to accept a trade to a even more dysfunctional organization in the Jets? It makes no sense.

If he wants to win I think a team like the Patriots make more sense. Kraft & Belichick are nearing the end of their lives they may be willing to give all that up to get him to make a final run.

Or the Washington Football Team. A team that's there or close possibly think they are a QB away from making a quantum leap.

19. BroadwayAaron

You might be and shit, I might be too... but that gameplan sounds like the anti-Douglas.

FJF and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. dawinner127

Where are you hearing all of this news? I've been on Twitter and listening to sports radio from 4 am to now on ESPN and I haven't heard anything of the sorts. And I haven't heard or seen anything that requires 3 1's and 3 2's?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.