Official Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ray Lucas, Oct 22, 2020.

?

Our Next Head Coach

Poll closed Nov 5, 2020.
  1. Eric Bieniemy

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Arthur Smith

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Greg Roman

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Jim Harbaugh

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Joe Brady

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Other (Please Explain)

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Robert Saleh would be an awesome hire, in my opinion.

Energetic as fuck. Players absolutely love him and the energy he brings to the sideline. 49ers fans love him. Big time leader

SOJAZ, LAJet and jets_fan like this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Not much jonny. Just taking a vacation from logic, happiness and productivity to discuss the dumb Jets.

jonnyd, Brook! and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  3. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Agreed. I've definitely been impressed with what Saleh has done San Francisco. I don't really have an opinion on the coaching search, as I trust that Douglas will get this right, but I certainly wouldn't be upset to see Saleh get the nod, although it would depend on what his philosophy regarding leading the team would be, as in would he oversee the team and leave the coordinating to coordinators or would he be Gase-like in so far as he'd focus mostly on defense and leave the offense to someone else.

SOJAZ, ColoradoContrails and Falco21 like this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I've been traveling all over western and upstate NY for work since Monday so I've been totally out of the loop... and it's been nice. No time to overthink these candidates. There really isn't a name I don't like so far. Even Marvin Lewis would be good with the correct staff and I think that's what matters most to me. We are clearly bringing in candidates who are viewed at as leaders, and that's what we need from a head coach. The X's and O's are going to be managed by the staff (I know it's not that black and white though). Give me any of the guys mentioned, just also make sure they have a VERY good staff.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

Also Urban Meyer landing with the Jags would be the best case scenario for us. The Jags and Chargers have the two most attractive jobs in the league. If Meyer fills one of them, that means someone is gonna be available for us. Hoping Campbell or Saleh.

Falco21 likes this.
  6. Falco21

I'm sold on Saleh.
    I honestly think he is the best option we have. I think he has potential to be a very very good head coach in this league.

7. BroadwayAaron

The guy has certainly been stroked off enough. You can't watch a damn Niners game without at least 5 references to how hot the market is going to be for him and how amazing of a coach he's going to be. I buy into the hype, but the hype also makes me question whether or not to buy in.

Br4d, cval, Brook! and 1 other person like this.
  8. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Aaron Glenn would be a very wildcard DC candidate. Don't think it happens but would be cool/interesting.

All Gas No Shake, cval and stinkyB like this.
  9. Falco21

Agree.

He's got a lot of interviews on his hands right now, that's for sure. If the Jets want him, hopefully our draft capital and money situation draws him to us more than anywhere else.

10. BroadwayAaron

If I'm the Chargers, I'm going hard on Saleh. To me they have the most attractive situation and he's the exact type of coach to match that team's personality. Their defense is quick and electric (when healthy) and Herbert has the potential to be a top tier QB. They can have it working on both sides of the ball pretty quickly and Saleh can make that happen.

Hopefully he disagrees though.

TonyFtLaud and Falco21 like this.
  11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This. Arron Glenn is/was a NY Jet. So giving him a high profile HC interview is a favor given to one of our favorites. I respect JD for this.

For those of you who never knew Arron Glenn (he was on the receiving end of this "most viewed play" in hostory):

12. Falco21

That is the only team that scares me right now in this search

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I'm big on him too. I don't question his leadership, strategic thinking, passion and ability to adapt. He changed the overall defensive schemes for SF three consecutive years to fit his personnel. That is a big plus as far as flexibility.. He would have to be able to bring in an OC with similar qualities on the other side of the ball and set the strategy for our QB. This team would have some serious discipline for once and be prepared.

SOJAZ likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Saleh sounds great, but he's still never been a HC. Can he let go of the defense and be a CEO? Every coordinator we've had has held onto to their side of the ball and ignored the other side, and that tracks with human nature - we tend to do what we're familiar with. I trust Douglas to get this right, but I still would prefer a guy who was a successful HC before, even if it was just college experience because that proves they can manage the ENTIRE operation which is central to the role of a HC.

Ralebird, NCJetsfan and dawinner127 like this.
  15. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

LOL how you going to do our guy dirty like that for the young Jets fans?

Aaron Glenn was a homegrown Jet, a two-time Pro Bowler with the team, one of the fastest guys in the league, and someone who could start celebrating a 100 yard pick-6 with 80 yards to go, high-stepping the last 25 with tacklers still in pursuit.

[​IMG]

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Sorry! Arron Glenn was our Darrell Revis before Darrell Revis. I remember his first play as a Jet was fielding a KO....he fumbled it! But thanks fore the highlite reel...that's the Glenn I remember!

SOJAZ and Snatch Catch like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Watson likes Eberflus already! :)

19. BroadwayAaron

Hopefully that went well!

20. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Jets set to interview Ryan Leaf for vacant HC position. Its believed his staff will consist of Jamarcus Russell as OC. Brian Bosworth as DC,
    Tony Manderich as O line coach , Vernon (the Ghost) Gholston as D line coach. Adam Gase is said to be Leafs first choice for QB coach, but given the high demand for his services ,Tim Tebow would be Leafs second choice should Gase prove unavailable.
    A direct quote from Jets CEO Christopher World Johnson regarding the interview;
    " I know what you're all thinking, but trust me when I say, You can never have enough geniuses on your coaching staff ":D:p

Jets79, SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.