The Coming Jets Trade: Sam or #2 Pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Jan 3, 2021.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Darnold and Brees are in no way a good comparison, except in your delusional mind. You truly are a dolt.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

This is a good question. I wouldn't trade Sam for anything less than a 2nd Round pick. If no one offers more, you just hold on to Sam. You never know about off-season, training camp, or Pre-season injuries. If a team loses a QB, they'd trade for Sam in a heart beat. I don't think that will be a problem though. One of these teams (if not more) will want to trade for Sam and will be willing to trade enough.

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I don't understand the idea that the season or the next few seasons must be mapped out prior to the draft. I believe in keeping as many options available as possible, particularly when they come relatively inexpensively. That means keeping the low priced Darnold around while determining exactly what another QB can accomplish by Labor Day, this year or possibly in 2022. You adapt to how everybody is progressing and you give each one everything they need to do so. That definitely does not mean picking up the fifth year option at the price that exceeds his current value. It also doesn't matter if that other QB is the number two pick, a later first round pick or from the second round - they all come with the same guarantee, and the same potential problems.

It won't be more than 112 days until we find out what Douglas and the new coach have decided and I'll bow to their far more experienced and closer to the situation decision for a while - hell, I even kept a "wait and see" attitude on Gase against my better judgement.

4. NCJetsfan

Very interesting. Daniel Jeremiah was on the Rich Eisen show. Rich asked him what his thoughts were on what the Jets might do. He said that he thinks with a new HC and a fresh start, it's time to have a new QB. He thinks the Jets should take Fields or Wilson at #2 if they like one of them. Eisen then asked him what if they decide to roll with Sam, what about Sewell. Jeremiah said definitely not. He said that he has Rashawn Slater of NW rated higher than Sewell, and that #2 is too high for either one of those players. He said that Kyle Pitts is a freak and that's what he would do.

5. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

you may want to check the news ... I'm not saying it'll be the Jets but now we are hearing the guy wants out of Houston

6. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

That would be nice to screw Miami out of a top O-lineman.

7. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I made that post on Monday in response to someone saying it would be for cap reasons...

*Rumors* say Watson might want out because of the Texans dysfunction. Nonetheless, it's shocking and goes to show there actually are organizations worse than the Jets.

8. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

All we can really hope for is Joe Douglas being the X factor in convincing a top FA like Watson coming here ... couple that with a solid well respected HC & coaching staff & we might just be able to convince players we are building a winning culture in Florham Park.
    At least it's fun to talk about.

9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If Watson is traded the Texans will have to eat at least $16.2 million dollars in dead cap money.

Beyond an offer of 3 or 4 number 1s there is no incentive to trade him, regardless of what he wants.

(EDIT) Of course I posted this in the wrong thread so what do I know?

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Daniel IMO is one of the finest draft analyst and I really value his inputs. I think he has a lot of insight on the draft talent, far, far more than McShay and Kiper.

Lon Chaney and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

When JD did not sign Robbie,I knew JD had checked out on Sam as well. JD has made it clear Sam is not his QB. So who is our QB. Fields, Watson, Wilson, we do not know. All I know is we have bottomed out at the QB position and JD will not hire a head coach that wants

12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

nice list

the sad part is that the list of Ohio State QBs is much worse

I agree Sam has been bad....the stats say he’s been the worst in the NFL and the eye test confirms it. No argument from me on that.

But I also think he’s had a shit OL (one of the worst in the league), shitty receivers, and no running game for the majority of his games played. And a couple of REALLY terrible HCs to play under. Literally, if you wanted to write a thesis on how NOT to develop a young QB, you would do EXACTLY what we did to him. I know it sounds like excuses, but shit, it’s hard to argue those points too.

I don’t have an issue moving on...my issue is more that I’m am in no way sold on Fields. I did watch that Clemson game and he actually showed me A LOT...toughness, tight throws, deep throws, grit, etc. so maybe if he plays as well against Alabama I’ll feel much better about him at 2. But I am SUPER concerned that he is just a beneficiary of a great program with a dominant OL and run game. Most of his throws are made with ZERO pressure to WIDE OPEN receivers. Those conditions will not exist in the NFL on any consistent basis, and certainly not on our team. So really that’s my issue...,OSU has even a worse track record of producing quality NFL QBs than USC does. I don’t know how much of Fields clear success will translate.

but then that’s JD’s job to figure out

chandler likes this.
  13. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

Sam is probably the worst starting QB in the NFL over the last three seasons. He has done nothing to show he can be an elite QB. What games has he dominated?, Every qb in the league even Minshewn , are better qbs , much better stats wise than Darnold. All NFL qbs are faced with problems, Tua played with 7th rd pick RB, a second rd draft pick at tight end and scrubs at wide outs , with 3 rookie o-line man. Yet he had like a 6-3 record as a Rookie. Sam has Becton, a decent o-line.Much better weapons at wide out and maybe a better tight end , Bell and Gore early. Yet we were much worst. You can blame Gase, Chan Gaily was just as bad

14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

On a related note, if Darnold is as terrible as he seems, ain’t nobody giving up high picks for him...

15. Kotite's Revenge

after 4 decades of supporting this shit bag inept organization, I’ve come to this place... I do (as a last resort) truly trust and believe in JD.

I love he made the Johnsons pay up for him and I love his first draft. This is now his team.

Consequently, I think we already have our future QB. There will be no trade for Watson. There will be no 1st round QB taken. He will trade back or take Sewell.

Morgan in the 4th last year was no mistake. That’s his QB. He may not be ready next year but the Jets aren’t winning shit next year anyway. In JD we trust.

Borat and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Interesting take. I agree that Morgan last year was not a mistake, but I would be shocked if he is our starter going forward. I think he was taken for a couple of reasons. One, the Jets may have had him rated higher than any other player at that point and JD thought Morgan was too talented to pass up. Two, I think that he was taken as a developmental QB. JD may have thought that he could become good enough to compete with Sam for the starting job, or that he could become good enough to trade for a higher draft pick, or he could have been taken with the idea of being our backup for a number of years.

I trust in JD too, as much as a last resort as out of choice.

Borat and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. The Curse of Joe Namath

deshaun Watson was sacked more times than Sam this year and had a borderline mvp year

18. jago

jago Active Member

jets as usual a top seed to win the offseason.

19. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I could ban you for this you know.

You are talking to one of the nicest guys on this board and calling him stupid. You know I like you but if you continue your tune, I will bench you for good just so you know.

chandler and Ralebird like this.
  20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This is absolutely spot on. It's a 4th rounder, if QB with potential is there, you can pull the trigger, even if the chance of being a FQB is low. GMs do it now and again. Belichick did it a few times, seemed to have worked out. Even if the guy develops into a decent back-up, you got more than the pick's worth. And it's not like Sam was a proven FQB at that time either where you really don't want to spend a pick on another QB. He was still one of the worst QBs last year, though showed some potential, which has not been realized.

All of that certainly doesn't mean Morgan is his starting QB for next season and therefore we will miss on a stud young QB in the draft. Well, this is assuming JD is smarter than Mac, which I trust he is.

NCJetsfan likes this.