Phila. vs Wash.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by westiedog1, Jan 4, 2021.

1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Something smells like eagle turd about this game. Pedersen pulls Jalen Hurts for Nate Sudfeld late in a close game that decides the NFL East championship. Sudfeld totally ineffective essentially handing Washington the win and division championship. Giant fans have to be pissed.

2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

He doesn’t want to lose his future starting QB in a meaningless game for the Eagles. I see nothing wrong with that. It’s not the Eagles job to do anything for the Giants.

If anything Washington should not have been in this position to begin with, Ron Rivera lost a couple of games for them early in the season gambling on 4th downs that they did not convert and costing the Redskins 2 games.

NFC east was garbage this year, a 6 win team should not be crying about anything but how bad they are.

#2 Red Menace, Jan 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    Endlessly Counting likes this.
  3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Basically my thoughts on this

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Not sure fans of a 6-10 team have grounds to be upset about NOT winning a division title ;)

5. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Not only that, but the Giants blew several games. If they had won only one of them, they'd be in. It's incomprehensible how a 6-10 team can whine about getting cheated out of the playoffs.

Nevertheless, it was a bush-league move by Pederson. Hurts wasn't getting clobbered, so there didn't seem to be any enhanced risk of injury. Also, as a coach, wouldn't you want to see if Hurts could bring the Eagles back for a fourth-quarter victory, which is the mark of a FQB?

6. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

For the sake of NFL integrity every game that has a bearing on standings should be played by each team to the best of their ability to win. Otherwise people can point to nefarious motivations for the coach's actions such as personal or monetary reasons. The records of the teams involved should not matter, the rules are explicit that the winner of the division goes to the playoffs period. To say that the Eagles were playing a meaningless game is wrong. It was not meaningless to the NY Giants. In addition, some day the Eagles may be in the position of needing another team to beat an opponent to win a title. They should expect those teams to give an legitimate effort despite their own failure to do so yesterday.

ouchy likes this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

There's no reason to feel bad for the Giants but it was still a bush league move by Pederson.

I feel worse for the Eagles players. The majority of the team and the defense at least were playing their balls off to get the win. Forced a couple turnovers late that got Nate Sudfeld'd.

Not sure if anyone caught it either but Zach Ertz is a douchebag. Upset his best friend Carson Wentz got benched so at the end of the game he literally watched Chase Young run right by him to destroy Sudfeld.

westiedog1 likes this.
  8. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

By moving from #9 to #6 in the draft, the Eagles basically guaranteed they can either draft (1) a QB (2) Sewell at tackle (3) Chase or Smith @ WR.

At #9, they couldn't know they'd get Wilson/Fields....or Sewell....or the WR.

Now they know they can.

Sneaky smart...............:mad:

9. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

They could of swept the Eagles earlier in the season or beat the Browns and Rams like we did and they'd of been in.

10. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Most of the media are Giants fans, hence the whining.

As to complaining about Pederson, does anyone really think this tanking was just his alone? I am pretty sure he was following orders from the GM and the owner. The fact that he alone is getting the blame just proves how stupid the Giant's media really is. So don't be gullible and believe everything they tell you.

I hope many of you can see the irony of Pederson getting the blame when after all it was the GM and owner that directed him to lose. This is another example of how the media is biased towards the Giants because this is not the first time a team has tanked and cost another team a playoff spot.

Then again had the Giants won the NFC East, it would have been nice to see Brady and the Bucs destroy them.

Endlessly Counting likes this.
  11. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

I agree with everything regarding the Giants having no right to complain. That being said, for the sake of league integrity, something has to be done about team's tanking for draft picks. Maybe consider a lottery, like the NBA or NHL or a rotating # 1 pick.

12. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Tim Tebow had 6 4th quarter comebacks in his first 11 starts.

13. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Aka Tebow Time.

It was as predictable as the seasons.

When the fourth quarter rolled around everyone knew what time it was.

14. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Nah then teams that have no business getting the #1 overall pick would get it.

A team like say the Patriots who've lived in the playoffs for most of this century could have a 'down year' then luck into the #1 overall pick.

A lottery system still doesn't prevent tanking I remember the Spurs tanking to get Tim Duncan.

The NFL went to the current system of scheduling after the Colts & Bengals let the Jets get into the playoffs in 2009. They thought they had a foolproof plan in place by scheduling only division matchups in week 17.

Apparently not.

It's human nature I think. People are going to do what they feel is in their best interest.

The 2009 Jets had a strong playoff run they proved they were worthy of being in the playoffs. The 2020 Washington Football Team could do the same.

15. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Condoning intentional losing is not a good place to be for the NFL and it will eventually catch up with them.
    You may be right that a draft lottery would result in some anomalies, but it might put an end to tanking as we know it.
    Someone else also mentioned cap increases for winning games under certain circumstances. I'm not sure if the players agreement would allow that, but I think some thought has to be put into the tanking issue

PS Didn't NBA change the rules after the Duncan situation? I honestly don't remember and I couldn't find anything online at first look

westiedog1 likes this.