Darnold, Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NOVAJET, Dec 28, 2020.

?

Fields, Wilson or Darnold

1. Fields

22.0%
  2. Wilson

26.3%
  3. Darnold

31.7%
  4. Other - Explain

10.8%
  5. Watson: 3 1st's

9.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

There's a BIG difference Colorado. Stafford has still produced. He has put up some big numbers in spite of the players around him. Sam hasn't. He has played down to the level or worse than the level of the talent around him. It doesn't even begin to be similar, much less the same.

Statistically, Sam's the worst starting QB in the NFL. I imagine Stafford, if not in the top 15, is close.

Here are Matthew Stafford's career stats: https://www.nfl.com/players/matthew-stafford/stats/career

Here are Sam Darnold's career stats: https://www.nfl.com/players/sam-darnold/stats/

In Sam's best season, he threw for 3,024 yards, 19 TDs and 13 interceptions, and had a rating of 84.3. Sam's career ratting average is 78.6. In Stafford's best season, he threw for 5,038 yards, 41 TDs, 16 interceptions, and had a rating of 97.2, and that wasn't even the best rating of his career. In 2019 he had a rating of 106. His career average ranking is 89.9.

matt robinson 17 and Borat like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

As I acknowledged, Darnold is not as good as Stafford, but there are two things I'll address here:

1. Everyone here trashing Darnold DESPITE him having to endure shit coaching and talent since Day 1 of his arrival, and yet are okay with using those issues to explain why Stafford hasn't done more.

2. For a QB to have success, it is greatly important for him to start his career in a successful environment. Stafford did. No, they weren't a great team, but he had decent coaching and decent talent in the beginning. Not so with Darnold. From Day 1 he's been saddled with terrible coaching and sub-NFL level talent. Yes, he has also contributed to this, but you completely downplay the snowball effect that those two obstacles caused in retarding his development. It's possible that he's been ruined, although I don't think so. And it's possible that he might have to go to another team, but again, since the Jets will have a whole new CS and additional talent it will be like a new team from his perspective. I'm not going throw a fit is Douglas trades him, but I also think it makes sense to keep him at least for next year.

Let's at least keep the playing field level for Darnold.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

I can't speak for Detroit, but imo there are pros and cons to having a topnotch QB when you're starting rebuild from the ground up and hiring a new coach. On the pro side, it's a good time to bring in a young new QB so the HC/OC can build the offense around the QB, or at least they can learn and grow together without expectations of making the playofffs. The negative side of that coin is that you'll probably lose a lot if the rookie starts day one, and the rookie could get hurt if you don't have a solid OL, and/or struggle if you don't have weapons around him. If you have a good veteran the rookie can sit behind and learn from, it can help the rookie because there's not immediate pressure on him. The problem is a topnotch QB may not want to go through a rebuild, and teams usually try to re-tool on the fly. Even though a topnotch veteran can help keep the fanbase appeased and the rookie can learn from him, on the flip side, he may cause your draft position to suffer and it may be harder to get the players you want and need to rebuild the team.

Stafford would cost too much in draft capital to trade for him and take a big chunk of cap space, so I'd rather go with a cheaper vet, Morgan and Fields.

matt robinson 17 and Borat like this.
  4. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

Considering Stafford is 33 and with 2 years left on a below market deal, this is the last "best" chance to deal Stafford if they want to do an accelerated rebuild with their new GM and coach.

I agree that for those reasons, the Jets shouldn't be in on Stafford. The 49ers or Patriots on the other hand.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Stafford has lead the league in game winning drives three times in his career and twice lead the league in fourth quarter comebacks. He ranks eighth all time in game winning drives and holds the single season record for most in a season.

He accomplished that feat on an offense with the 30th ranked rush offense and no Pro Bowlers on the roster in 2016. His leading rusher had 357 yards. He did so while being sacked 37 times which is his career average.

Stafford averages 4,374 yards, 27 touchdowns, 14 interceptions on 62% completion percentage across 16 games.

Yeah I think it's fair to say with better coaching and some better players with him he'd be better.

There is no dispute that Darnold would be better too. But better does not equate to good enough to be an NFL starter. Geno Smith would've been better if the 2014 Jets weren't a dumpster fire with Jeremy Kerley as his #2 receiver and the immortal Jace Amaro as his top tightend. Does that mean he'd be good enough too?

Stafford has earned that benefit of the doubt throughout his career. He's not elite but he's a pretty good quarterback.

6. NCJetsfan

I don't see everyone here trashing Darnold. I see quite a few posters defending Sam, using those very excuses, and still wanting the Jets to give him another chance here in 2022. Even those of us who want Sam traded have acknowledged the horrible coaching that Sam has had, the 2-3 different offenses he's had to learn and play in, and the lack of a quality OL and lack of weapons around him. I'm truly mystified where this is coming from, because I haven't seen anyone here doing what you claim.

REVISion likes this.
  7. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

For reference's sake, I'm trying to decipher Wentz's contract. Wentz is due $25.4 million fully guaranteed. On March 15,$15 million of his $22 million salary for 2022 also becomes guaranteed. For all intents and purposes, anyone who makes a trade for Wentz is committing a 2-year, $47-million contract with 40 of it guaranteed. If you like what you see, he has two more years after that totaling $51 million.

Considering a pre-June 1 trade only saves the Eagles $852K against the cap, I doubt there's a deal that is worth it for the Eagles, while still being a reasonable gamble for a team with Stafford, Ryan, Jimmy G and Bridgewater all potentially available.

8. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

yes it would help if Lions had Calvin Johnson and/or N,Suh too :rolleyes:

it's just not as simple as getting a QB near the top. tons of teams picked near the top (higher than us) for lots of times and continued to flub. every year

and no i don't agree that you just pick the best you can and hope the coach figures it out. this isnt basketball and it doesn't work there either unless you luck into an Lebron

perhaps more than any other sport your team needs an identity (probably tailored to where and who you play most often), and you need to draft and develop players consistent with that. unlikely for quick fixes from any player at any position. that said teams can still turn it around in 2-3 years if they do it right, e.g., Titans, or just the opposite if they blow it e.g. Falcons and Jags

if JD picks a QB on the merits and based on his and coach's vision of the team, so be it. Will hope it's the second coming of Phillip Rivers

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

After what the Jets have paid Quincy Enunwa, Josh Bellamy, CJ Mosley, and LeVeon Bell the last two years Wentz seems like a bargain.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  10. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Wow Im surprised about the want for Darnold. All I want to add is Trask is trash so he will most likely be our pick

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  11. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

On Stafford vs Darnold, the first 4 years of Stafford weren't that different to Darnold's first 3 seasons really. Yes, Stafford did have a far higher passing yards total, particularly in year 3, but also had a far worse rookie year too. Overall, I don't think they are particularly different at similar ages and states in their career. Stafford gets the slight edge, but he had Johnson to throw to as well and the Lions were ascending at that point. In a similar situation to Darnold it is quite possible that Stafford regresses in year 3. Stats don't mean everything of course. Stafford was often seen as the pro comparison for Darnold (his floor was a better Stafford in at least one case) so it is an interesting analysis to make.

I suspect that most, if not all, of Darnold's 'regression' is down to situation and the total shit-show that was the start of this season. He will likely rebound to at least his year 2 level wherever he ends up and I think that's why there is so much noise around the league about teams being interested in him. That's not a reason for the Jets to keep him though. It's not good enough. The question is how much better than this can he be in a good situation. 5% across the board? 10%? Can he replicate his last 6 games of last season or the last 4 of his rookie one over a whole year? I don't know that answer, but I trust JD - with the new CS - to make that call. Much like drafting a new QB, it's a leap of faith for JD.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

Sam Darnold is trash.

NYJFOREVER and matt robinson 17 like this.
  13. baalworship

baalworship Active Member

Trask is another Mason Rudolph.

14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

stafford has had some stud WRs though. tate, marvin jones, calvin johnson, kenny galladay. I mean no knock on stafford he's a great QB i'm just saying the lions WRs have always been really good

chandler and Footballgod214 like this.
  15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Can the Zach Wilson fans tell me why he is worthy of the #2 overall pick? I have watched enough Justin Fields to see why he is worthy of it, but I only watched Wilson's Bowl Game.

16. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

He's not. He had one good year and played absolutely no one.

Again, he might have all the abilities to be a very good QB, but the fact that he has played ZERO competition and only had one good year is extremely worrisome to me.

REVISion and The Dark Knight like this.
  17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

On other news Todd McShay has Fields going to the Pats at 15th and Wilson 4th to Atlanta. So there isn't much of a consensus among the analysts at all as to the QB rankings. Not that it should make any difference what the analysts say but JD has his work cut out for him this year. Hope there is plenty of homework done on the QBs.

18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I'll tell you one thing that annoys me about Draft Experts. The ones that say "Oh, Justin Fields is more of a #5 overall pick player, not #2." Or "Zach Wilson is more of a Top 15 player not #2 overall". It's like, what the hell are you talking about? If a QB is worthy of a Top 15 NFL pick, they are worthy of the #2 pick. I get they give each prospect grades and that is how they get to those numbers, but it is ridiculous. Teams want QB's. It is the most important position. If a team thinks there is a likely chance that QB will be great and a franchise QB, you take him at #2, even if he is #10 on the "Expert" guy's board.

I guess those numbers and rankings are the reason Mahomes went #10 and Watson went #12, but it is not wise and clearly most of those teams in the Top 9 know they made a mistake now.

19. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Mock drafts are made to generate clicks and conversations, not to be accurate. There is a 0% chance Fields lasts until the 15th pick.

20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I don't know, the Bills traded the Mahomes pick and it worked out pretty good for them. Mahomes could have gone to a crummy Bills team and never become the player we all know him as. Meanwhile the Bills leveraged the picks they got to grab a pro bowl corner, a pro bowl LB, and OT flirting with the pro bowl, 2 WRs, and a pick they used to move up to draft Allen the next season.

This is the type of thing the Jets should be attempting with the #2 pick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.