The Coming Jets Trade: Sam or #2 Pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

3. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

right. i guess i was thinking we might have inside intel on Wentz and given the contract situation we would ask for other assets from them in addition to take on that risk

i know we have the cap space. the issue is what if he turned out to be a lemon -- you'd be stuck with that contract

the flipside would be you could then use the 2 how you like. Get the OT, get some super WR or edge (if someone rockets up), trade down etc.

4. chandler

and if you think about it, it's another thing that makes the Jets a potentially attractive option for a new HC. We have the flexibility to go in different directions.

Let's just say the HC has had a history of turning around ex- Gase QBs around, that candidate might say keep Sam he'll suffice and let's get OT, WR, DE whatever. Or he might say he has a man-crush on Justin Fields. We have that option

I still worry that we're looking for love in all the wrong places. IN our neck of the woods our QB needs to be quick thinking and can spread the ball around on shorter, quicker routes. We might have 2 Sundays a year where the conditions are nice enough to think it's easy to just let the ball fly. Even if you throw it perfectly with wind and other conditions...

5. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Honestly, the guy was outplayed by Hurts, I would not go near Wentz right now. Let Eagles fix their own mess, Jets have easier options they can try, don’t complicate matters anymore than they have to.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The feeling around Wentz is that he's a douchebag of a teammate. There's just an it factor where teams player better when certain guys are under center. It cannot always be explained.

Look at the difference in Clemson with Uiagalelei and Clemson with Lawrence versus Notre Dame. Uiagalelei played well too.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Yeah I get your point....actually this is a bad year to have a bunch of picks. The college football scene was totally lacking. Many of the top college players opted out of the season. Many of the top teams had an abbreviated season or only played teams in their division or with no travel required, stuff like that. Ohio State and Justin Fields only played 6 games. There's just not a ton of 2020 film to look at like in normal years, and scouts may have had to do their scouting from their own living rooms, versus at the game itself.

And I'm sure the combine, prodays, in house invites, interviews, ect will be greatly curtailed as well. Not sure how good you can assess a new player over zoom versus having him sitting their in front of you and at dinner later on. Same with HC interviews going on now...all over zoom.

If I were Joe Douglas, I'd push for any trades to be for the 2022 draft. Like if we trade the #2 overall, try and get an extra big haul for next years draft when GMs will have a full season of college football to base their picks on and full access to the players before making huge decisions.

8. chandler

i didn't know that. I have a friend who i haven't talked to in a while who is a big philly fan. season ticket holder flies from Boston for home games. hadn't heard that before but then again didn't ask.

if remotely true that changes things completely. plus concerns mentioned by others -- cap risk etc

9. eddie sec 126

eddie sec 126 Active Member

Just trade the bum

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Couple different reports below.

https://insidetheiggles.com/2020/12/20/carson-wentz-argument-bad-teammate/

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ed-as-selfish-qb-fails-to-take-accountability

It's weird because he doesn't come across like that to me at all but it's not like I'm in that locker room. He definitely needs a fresh start. That entire locker room and franchise has probably been soured on him since the SB.

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

A lot of fans have given up on Sam. I think that is a mistake. However, you can't bank on Sam being successful. He has played 3 NFL seasons, and you can argue he has gotten worse instead of better. The team went (2-14) this season. Most of that is on Gase, but some of it is on Darnold too. He did not play well. So now Joe Douglas has to weigh his options and I think starting over with a new QB #2 overall is a much better decision than risking another year with Sam. It is also a fresh start for the franchise with a new Head Coach and a new Quarterback.

I truly believe Sam will go elsewhere and succeed. Potentially similar to Ryan Tannehill, maybe better, but definitely a solid starter in the NFL. That is why I am sure some team will risk at least their 2nd round pick and potentially even more on Sam.

Both sides just need a fresh start and unless some new Head Coach comes in and blows Douglas away in the interview, and part of it is winning with Sam, I think the Jets move on.

ColoradoContrails and chandler like this.
  12. chandler

it may be one of those corollaries that follow from winning cures a lot of ills.

when they were winning he might be a great guy; when losing adversity happens????

that's why i like JD picking people who were former captains. Generally, those guys are well grounded grown ups who can hopefully keep people focused on the right stuff, deal with adversity etc.

Jamal started to turn into a jerk from the perpetual losing too. If we were winning he might still be here.

we need to get on the right side of a winning tradition first and go from there!

13. chandler

this really captures the way i feel, as well. I may be a bit more pessimistic about the trade value given the number of QBs coming out this year, the number of vets who will probably be made available, and Sam's last performance.

i may just be a sucker though hanging on to old investments because i don't see all the shiny new pennies this year all that much different than last year's and even the analogies to (5.5 year) Luck don't have me doing catwheels. If some guy came in and was a great coach and convinced Sam was just totally misused it would be a dream come true.

it's a little nutty to think that Sam is all of 23 and had the world at his fingertips and is now at the brink of being a backup or has-been

USC QBs are tough nut to crack : Mark Sanchez, Carson Palmer, Sam Darnold, Matt Leinart, Matt Cassel, Cody Kessler, Matt Barkley and John David Booty

Who is the best foul weather QB available now -- vet or draft prospect?

The Dark Knight likes this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

I don't know if it makes them the 'best' as I haven't really looked at splits but Fitzmagic, Dalton, and Tyrod Taylor have played in the most bad weather games for the available NFL guys. Fields, Lance, and Wilson all play in bad weather territories.

The Dark Knight and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good idea, but unfortunately that won't work. Picks for the following year are considered to be lowered by one round in value, so that 1st round pick we get next year is in effect really only a 2nd, because we'd get no use out of it this year. I'm not sure that we would be able to get enough value from a trade for future picks to make it worthwhile.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm comparing Sam to Drew Brees in 2003 and it is a very good comparison.

You by the way need to check your meds. It's Tuesday and I'm guessing the little box with Tu on it hasn't been opened up yet today. :)

17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I understand and you could be right. But two things come to mind: Jets are in full re-build mode which is probably a 2-3 year effort. We're still gonna be in rebuild mode next draft as well. Second, GMs are usually willing to give more on a trade if what they are giving is next season or beyond. So where they may offer a 2nd this year, they may be more likely to offer a 1st next year.

But what I said earlier about having an abbreviated covid fucked up college season is real. We could actually be drafting players who decided not to even play football last year. Yikes...that's gotta be a bit scary. And I don't think clubs will have access to these guys like normal years. But next year should be back to normal. Full season, full access.

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Might as well compare me to a previous Powerball winner because we both bought a ticket.

REVISion likes this.
  19. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Excellent points that both the Jets and Sam need a fresh start but also that Sam at 23 retains the potential to put his flash plays together more consistently. I think you're right, too, that this potential warrants at least a 2nd round pick. So the question remains: if the Jets can't get a 2nd round pick will they be forced to trade him anyway?

Personally, I think he'd be okay with Sam competing with Fields for the starting job, and I wouldn't rule out that his NFL experience might give him an initial leg up on Fields, who reportedly can use some refinement in reading defenses. If the best deal offered for Sam is a 4th round pick, this would be a ripoff that seems unacceptable to me. But what do I know about Jets clubhouse chemistry? Certainly, a proven experienced mentor quarterback (such as North Carolina's suggestion of Tyrod Taylor) might be less awkward for the clubhouse and potentially cheaper.

20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Extending Sam would be like paying 2k a month to drive a Corolla.

It can be done, but why?

Any head coach coming in is going to want their own QB.

The Dark Knight likes this.