My Early Offseason Plan for Fixing the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

imo Davis is super over rated. This is his first good year and he has been wildly inconsistent. Hard pass.

2. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Nice job, but they are not trading Sam and will take Sewell or trade with Cinny for more picks.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks.

Sorry, but I totally disagree. Sam is awful. A new HC and the right system will help, but Sam's problems run MUCH deeper than that, and if he has any hopes of ever achieving his potential, he needs to sit for at least a year and focus on fixing his issues. Even then I doubt he will succeed. I just don't think he has what it takes mentally.

Even if they don't trade Sam, they are NOT taking Sewell. We'll see, however. It will be fun!

NYJetsO12 and REVISion like this.
  4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Did you listen to JD's interview with Michael Kay this afternoon? Reading between the lines it seems like Sam is gone.

Footballgod214 and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I have watched Sermon play all year. He is the exact type of running back we need on this team. Tuff, put your head down and go. I would also prefer to trade down with Cincy and pick up Smith. He was absolutely amazing this year. I would also trade the Seattle pick to move up for Pitts if he starts to fall

6. NCJetsfan

I'm sorry that you took umbrage at my post. As I said, you are free to disagree. I don't expect everyone to agree, nor do I care if they don't. Sorry, but there are indisputable facts in what I said.

Fitz isn't the same type of QB that Fields is. FACT

If you bring Fitz in as the starter, then when Fields takes over, you have to totally or almost totally change the offense. That isn't efficient, so it doesn't make sense. FACT

Fitz is not a threat to run. Fields is. As an OC you would most likely design totally different offenses or at least very different offenses for those two QBs. FACT

If the Jets' plan is to hire a HC who will tailor systems around the talents of his players, then it would be best for the OC to design his offense around Fields, since he is the future, but if the plan is also for Fields to sit for a year, then the OC/HC would have to design the offense around whomever was starting in 2021. Thus the most efficient and smartest way to accomplish that so that one doesn't have to make radical changes in the offense, is to bring in a veteran QB whose style of play most closely resembles that of the rookie QB you just drafted. FACT

If one doesn't care about efficiency or having to make radical changes to the offense, or if one is going to have a hard fast system that any QB will have to adapt to and fit in (like a square peg into a round hole), then no, it wouldn't be a fact in those scenarios, but otherwise, it's a FACT.

7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Thank You My Friend!!:D

Great Job as usual...you certainly did your Homework>>>Keep the Best Jets and Hire relatively in expensive FA covering alot of holes that need filling. Particularly liked the Edge with Okwara and OL Thuney plus WR Waddle. Tyrod T as backup is good.
    Question : Are you really expecting a Second and Fourth for SD? Ha that would be brilliant His ceiling is a couple of Third rounders' tbh

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

Thanks. I like Judon a lot and hoped the Jets would sign him last year. Judon was much better than Okwara in 2019, but Okwara was better in 2020. The other thing is that Okwara is only 25, Judon is 29. Judon's approaching the age where players can start becoming more injury prone, they start losing speed, and their skills can start deteriorating. I think Okwara may be faster anyway. Judon has missed 4 games in his 5 seasons and has 34.5 sacks, 227 tackles, and 10 passes defensed. Okwara missed 10 games his 2nd season,but since then has only missed 3 games in 3 years, and missed none in 2020. Okwara has 20 sacks, 126 tackles, and 4 passes defensed in his career. Judon's cap hit for 2020 was $16,808,000. Okwara's cap hit was $4,070,416.

Ingram is 31. He only appeared in 7 games this season and had 0 sacks. He only played in 13 games in 2019, and he had 7 sacks that season. From 2015-2018 he played in all 16 games, but in the two seasons prior to that, he played in only 4 and 9 games respectively. His rookie season of 2012, he also played in 16 games. For his career, he has 49 sacks,326 tackles, and 29 passes defensed. Ingram's cap hit was $16,625,000. He has definitely been the better player of the 4, but is also the oldest and has had the most injury issues.

I'd love to add Bud Dupree (27), but he is coming off of a serious injury, and his cap hit was $15,828,000 this season. In his 6-year career, he has 39.5 sacks, 208 tackles, and 11 passes defensed.

I really don't think we can afford either Dupree, Ingram or Judon, but even if we can, I'd be shocked if JD signs one of them. At Ingram's age and health, there's no way I'd pay him anywhere near $16m/season. I'd rather go with a younger, cheaper player who still has potential. I think that's the way that JD will go on D. I believe that he wants to draft his Edge/OLB, not pay a lot of money to a FA. I think he would come closer to paying that for a WR to help the rookie QB develop.

9. NCJetsfan

You're welcome and thank you!

The only reason I have that much in compensation for Sam is that I do think that at least 2 teams, maybe 3 or 4 will be interested in acquiring him. That could lead to pushing the bounty we get upwards. Everything I'm hearing and reading is that those in the NFL and the media still think that Sam has a lot of promise and potential, but I think that's because they haven't seen him play as much as we have and they don't have all the facts on him.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Great work!! Took a lot of time and research. I agree with almost all, but, as we have discussed, I would trade down from #2 pick. There are so MANY teams needing QBs, Douglas could leverage them against each other and very likely get a king's ransom in high picks for 2-3 years. Hopefully this will be the last time for a great while that we pick this high, but I am not sure the #2 pick ever had this much value after Fields dominated Clemson and Wilson finished the year and so many teams needing a QB.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Well if we went Zach Wilson at #2 then maybe you could add a hard charging Fitz as the bridge.

12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

This is what I replied to, so fixating on Fitz in your further reply is bit odd, ignoring the fact I already acknowledged your damned point in my reply.

That is still your opinion only.

That is a FACT

I took umbrage btw as your reply in the quote was excessively arsey for no good reason when we were just discussing things.

13. NCJetsfan

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be "arsey" or snooty. I'm sorry if that's how it came across to you. That was not my intent.

K'OB likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Thanks.

I don't understand your response, however. Yes, there are a LOT of teams needing a QB, and we ARE ONE OF THEM! Why in the world would we gift a QB to another team, trade down, and not take him ourselves when we desperately need a quality QB? Why not take a QB when a FQB prospect is sitting right there at our pick, instead of having to trade up and burn draft capital? That just doesn't make sense to me.

Especially since it hopefully will be the last time we're drafting this high, the is the time to take the QB, not when we're drafting a lot lower and it will cost us a lot more. If we're drafting in the teens, it's going to cost us a LOT more to trade up to get a QB if a team will even trade down with us (and there are not guarantees), than we will get by trading down a few spots this year.

#54 NCJetsfan, Jan 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    tomdeb likes this.
  15. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I still think the Eagles will cut Wentz this offseason. Nobody will trade for that contract and he was a healthy scratch the last week. I think he would be a good bridge QB on the cheap because the Eagles owe him so much money. Especially good bridge to Trey Lance, if we go that route--He and Lance both attended North Dakota State (if we drop and select Lance as QB).

16. K'OB

It took me 200 edits on my phone for that bollocks post, I hate this site layout at times.

I threw Fitz in as the only Vet I knew was available, no desire to see him return but i have no desire to see Taylor either not coming off 3 barely played seasons.

If we get fields is there another running QB out there?

Now I must to sleep as I am now up in 4 hours for work lol

17. NCJetsfan

I think #2 is too high to take Wilson. He's not the same level of prospect as Fields, and he has some fairly big issues/red flags that Fields doesn't have. If JD wants Wilson, I think it would be best to trade down with Atlanta or Cincinnati. Atlanta could take Wilson, but then we could take Fields, but I believe that Atlanta would take Fields and we could take Wilson at #4 or at #5 if we trade down with Cincinnati.

18. NCJetsfan

Sorry, mate. I can't even imagine trying to post on this site with a phone. I have enough trouble with the computer. Sometimes I inadvertently hit the right mouse button when typing a response. Usually it totally closes down the site, but sometimes it will just take me to another page in another thread. The software for this site is totally screwy.

Great call on Taylor! I knew that he had missed this past season, but I was unaware that he missed most of 2019 and 2018. I hadn't looked that up. With that being the case, it would be somewhat risky for him to be the vet. Fields would have to be ready to go earlier, but it is possible that Taylor could make the whole season or that Fields could be ready to go day 1. Neither is really likely, but it's possible. Thanks for calling my attention to that. I'll have to check the FA QB list to see if there's another QB whose style of play is similar.

Since you used Fitz, that's why I kept responding with him because it fit the picture I was trying to portray of needing to get a QB whose style of play was similar to Fields.

Edit: I just took a look to refresh my memory, and the reason I went with Taylor is that there really isn't anyone that's reasonable. I don't want Prescott and he's too expensive. Brett Hundley sucks, and Joshua Dobbs doesn't have enough experience. If anyone else sees another QB on the prospective FA QB list that is similar in style to Fields, please let me know, because I don't see anyone else. I think we'd either have to take risk on Taylor or maybe have to keep Sam since he is mobile and can run, just doesn't do that much any more. If I kept Sam, that wouldn't stop me from taking Fields, however.

#58 NCJetsfan, Jan 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    Ralebird and K'OB like this.
  19. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I respect your opinion. What you are suggesting, however, we just DID in 2018. Darnold was supposed to be all that you just described when the jets took him third overall in 2018. No guarantee that using a really high pick on a QB will work. I still think Sam deserves a chance with a decent coach and a lot more weapons. And you can get a fortune for that #2 pick--at least 2 first rounders and 2 second rounders (oh yeah, the week of the draft teams will pay to get Fields or Wilson). I do not consider that a gift to another team. Miami rebuilt quickly around their new coach and their multiple high draft picks , NOT around their QB picked at #5 overall, who was often benched for greybeard Fitzpatrick. But you are IMO one of the best on this message board, so reasonable minds can certainly differ.

20. K'OB

Is RG3 free?
    Not that I like him either tbh lol

Do we need to run Fields like Allen and Jackson anyways? Assuming we select him of course.