Peter King: "Jets Struck It Rich" When Fields KO'd Clemson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Jan 4, 2021.

1. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I get your line of thinking, but I happen to really like Fields so might as well take him now without any extra compensation needed to get up to 2 since we’re obviously there.

We also have many high picks this year and next and a ton of free agency money. I said it before but this off-season I’m drafting Fields and using the rest of the top picks and free agency money to improve the weapons and offensive line.

I can live with a young, no-name defense next season and then taking care of the major issues next offseason on defense...I don’t mind being in shootout games next season if it means the rookie QB (Fields) improves with a solid supporting cast on the offensive side of the ball

#121 King Koopa, Jan 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Why so salty, bro? I didn't include other rushers including Book because it drags the average down and makes your argument look dumber. 3.7 yards per carry for the game is not 'punishing' a team in the ground regardless of the went away from it and had to be more one dimensional or not.

I run to his defense when people make nonsensical arguments about his ability. He has flaws - most prospects do. But the whole 'his team is loaded, he relies on his teammates and the running game, etc.' thing is old. And it's ridiculous to apply that argument to him and not Lawrence or some of the other prospects in recent memory.

Burrow played with three first round picks at the skill positions. I never once saw the loaded team argument.

3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Keep running to his defense JV, when he bombs in the NFL I want to see you start a thread saying you were wrong as quickly as you defend him.

I was not even criticizing Fields, If you watched the game you could see how Alabama was having a difficult time stopping the run against two TE formation. ND fell behind and stopped running hence why their average went down.

#123 Red Menace, Jan 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Spot on. This is the ONLY plan that makes any sense to me. The new offense HAS to be built around our rookie QB; otherwise, it's just more of the same stupid BS we've had for decades.

King Koopa likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong, bro. I was wrong about the entire 2018 class admittedly. I've watched this class a whole lot more over the past couple years.

Honest question - what do you think of Lawrence? And does he get black marks for playing with the most prolific ACC rusher of all time?

Brook! and abyzmul like this.
  6. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

I know people are gung ho on getting a QB at #2, but there's a big part of me that would rather have the Jets build a stacked offense before bringing in a QB. We saw what happened with Darnold when he had absolutely no chance to develop in the situation he was put in (plus crappy coaching didn't help). It's a whole lot easier for a QB to develop when he has a a great OL and real weapons to spread the ball around to.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think there are good arguments for trading back and focusing on building up the talent and not taking a QB, as well as good arguments for taking your best bet of a FQB and building up talent around him. But it's rare to be in a position to have a Top 3 pick without having to empty the cupboards to trade up, I lean towards the second path. That said, I believe Douglas favors the first.

8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

have you watched the browns? baker isn't a good QB. he's mark sanchez. being protected by an elite run game. he lost to the 1 win jets lol. you take away the run game and they lose. the steelers backups almost beat them for the final game. baker here in NY would look worse then sam has. the point is stats don't always tell the whole story especially when it comes to college stats. I'm not knocking fields despite the nonsense people get into during the draft time here i'm just being objective. JD has a tough decision ahead of him. and honestly I think howell is better then fields, tlaw, and wilson on film but there is no guarantee we could get him anyway or that he continues to progress. i'm sure "suck for sam" will start up again for some team next year.

People here used stats to shit on josh allen but I seen his talent on tape and really liked him. same goes for lamaar jackson. because I didn't look at stats or find reasons to like someone i just trusted my eyes and what I seen. and i'm just a fan. i'm not a scout or anything special. anyone here can take the time and sit back and objectively watch these players but instead they follow articles and stats to add to a discussion

ouchy likes this.
  9. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Every single QB in that 2018 draft would have failed on this team.

10. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I'm in favor of a trade down if a good deal presents itself. Bring in a veteran QB and draft as many stud players as you can. A disruptive pass rusher and WRs being the two most glaring needs. This team is terrible from top to bottom, and we've spent far too much early draft capital on lousy QBs.

Brook!, ouchy and LeonNYJ like this.
  11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

My assessment of any QB has no credibility, I loved Luke Falk and was ecstatic when he came to the Jets but Gase ruined his career as well.

Since you asked I will answer, I like QBs that have a minimum of 3 years under their belt as starters, it exposes them to a multitude of circumstances, I like accuracy and arm strength.

I will never penalize a QB for having weapons, look at Mettenberger for LSU, when he had Odel and Landry, I thought he was going to be a great QB and he ended up being a bust.

My opinion of Lawrence is that he doesn’t need things to be perfect for him to thrive, simply put, he will live up to his end of the bargain no matter what situation he is in, obviously if he has a bad team he will not will them to victories like Dan Marino but the team will always have a chance with him.

Ohio State did a great job of shutting down the run of Clemson but TL still did his part and completed 33/48 for 400 yards.

NCJetsfan and ouchy like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't. I don't think there's any valid argument for trading back and not taking a QB. There are 4 very good QB prospects in this draft. It ignores our past mistakes (2017 Mahomes) and draft history. We'll have to agree to disagree on this.

bicketybam likes this.
  13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/qb-power-rankings-2020/
    Mayfield is 13th, ahead of Brees, Ryan, and Stafford. Are those guys not good either? Roethlisberger lost to a 1 win Jets team in 2007 and 2014. Yes, you were right about Allen. But you were off the mark on Baker. He's better than Sanchez was for us.

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's based on stats

QB Power Rankings of 2020 include player statistics from the current season. Rank among all (current) starting QBs shown in parenthesis. Stats/analytics include: Games played (GP), passing yards per game (YPG), completion percentage, average air yards per completion (CAY), passing touchdown percentage per attempt (TD%), interception percentage per attempt (INT%), PFN’s Offensive Value Metric (OVM), rushing yards, and rushing touchdowns.

which is my whole point stats don't mean as much as we'd like to think

15. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

We have enough draft capital and cap space where we'll have significantly more talent on offense than we did last year assuming JD doesn't pull a Mac in the draft. Also the QB is like 60% of the entire offense in the NFL.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Alabama's D is not that good, true. and you are right. But their offense is possibly the best I've seen in college football.
    I could see a game where Alabama scores at will, Ohio State is able to score but not keep up. Fields has a "good" game but Bama wins 56-35 or something.
    -

I dont think there is anything that can hurt Fields' draft stock now. I dont see him playing horrible against that weak Alabama defense but even if he does people will just chalk it up to him still being hurt from last week's hit.

Whether you like Fields or not, that Clemson game was about the best thing that could happen for the NY Jets sitting in the 2 spot.

17. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Unless the OSU boosters buy him a 20 million insurance policy he should sit it out. His value can only go down and he could get injured.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  18. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Let’s break it down...For example the Jets can sign a top free agent WR and top olineman (guard?) in free agency...then draft Fields at 2, draft another top lineman at our second 1st rounder, and then take the top weapon (another WR, RB or TE) with our 2nd rounder

You can also improve in the later rounds and even add a couple decent free agents if needed.

The defense is going to have to work with what they got for the most part next season but we will be getting back Mosely

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  19. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Easy there, that's extremely insulting to Baker. This board acts like Baker is one of the worst QB's in the NFL for some reason.

Baker's career averages so far:

62% completion
    7.4 Y/A
    75 TD
    43 INT

Sanchez career:

57% completion
    6.6 Y/A
    86 TD
    89 INT

20. twown

twown Well-Known Member

If he sits out the national championship, that's a red flag for a GM.

Does he care more about money than winning?

Will he sit out big games because he's in pain?

Will he be a huge headache negotiating contracts?

Not a good look.