Official Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ray Lucas, Oct 22, 2020.

?

Our Next Head Coach

Poll closed Nov 5, 2020.
  1. Eric Bieniemy

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Arthur Smith

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Greg Roman

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Jim Harbaugh

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Joe Brady

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Other (Please Explain)

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Disagree. Don’t necessarily need a seasoned vet to change the culture. You need a true leader. Most of the rejected seasoned vets are out on the street for not changing much of anything in the first place.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We don't necessarily agree, but you make some valid arguments against him, some of which should call his being a candidate into question.

He doesn't have to be a QB Guru. After all, we want the HC to be the CEO. What Roman has shown is that he can and does adapt systems to fit the talents of his players. Hopefully, the OC would be calling the plays and the one tailoring the offense to fit the talents of the players. If not, then I wouldn't want Roman either.

IMO the most important aspect of the HC search should be a guy who will insist that the coordinators be flexible and will choose or adapt the systems and build around the talents of the core players.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

Agree regarding the playcalling. I'm also not wild about his lack of experience as an OC, although he has been coaching in the NFL for a good while. What I do like is that he seems to have a very creative mind, am assuming that he tailored the offensive system around Tannehill's talents (but could be wrong), and had some part in Tannehill's level of play.

4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Why so little interest so far about Daboll? Is very hard to argue against the wonderful job he has done offensively with the Bills. To me the most improved and forward thinking offense this year. With JD feeding him some real weapons he could make our Jets relevant again.

5. NCJetsfan

Herbert may be more comparable to Allen than Fields or Lawrence or Wilson. I'm not interested in discussing/debating that. My question is what makes you think that he would want a QB who is very similar to Allen? Since he is flexible and adapts his system to the talents of the QB that he has to work with, he may not care as long as the QB has lots of talent and potential. He may care more about the situation and team itself, his trust in and interactions with the GM and owners, or what part of the country the team is in. He may prefer staying in the NE if possible. You could be right that he would prefer Herbert, I just don't think that is necessarily a given.

6. We need to remember that running a high octane offense/defense & being a respected coordinator isnt the same as being a HC or CEO.

7. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Per Tom Pelissero "The Jets put in a request to interview Bills OC Brian Daboll for their head coach job, per source"

HomeoftheJets, Aero and FJF like this.
  8. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

Yeah fair enough. I definitely do remember what @BrowningNagle said : many were saying that the offense was very predictable and it needed to change.

9. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

At least we aren't doing this, jeez

10. JohnnyP123456

I can't speak for Daboll (obviously) but I would be surprised if a future HC (offensive mind) would rather hitch themselves to Fields or Wilson vs Herbert after his year this year.

It's weird because I think the Chargers are the "best" HC vacancy roster wise but they are in one of the toughest divisions in football.

11. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

12. NCJetsfan

As I said, you could be right. That would be understandable. The bold is what could change his mind. It would make it much tougher for him to succeed there and win his division. He may not want to live in LA. I wouldn't. Between the cost of living, the smog, the traffic, the phoniness of people there, there's no reason on earth that would make me move there.

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Has Cowher taken himself out of consideration?

egbert souse likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

We definitely don't want a predictable offense. That's why I want a guy who is flexible adaptable and doesn't have to always do things the same way, use the exact same system, etc.

15. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Hey guys I made this video for my channel covering most of the prospective Head Coach candidates, check it out and let me know what you think.

Edit: I took it down I need to fix a couple things, I was in a hurry to get it out for black Monday :/

#435 MaximusD163, Jan 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Love it. That answers my question

grkmanga31 and FJF like this.
  18. JohnnyP123456

Not sure if you saw what @dawinner127 posted in the other thread but ill put it here as well.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Chargers GM went to high school with Daboll. They have been close friends since high school. It's a small world. that's why all the experts are saying Daboll to the Chargers is a lock.

ohh whoops you beat me to it!

JohnnyP123456 and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

Thanks. That definitely could sway things, but I'd hope that Douglas would at least call Daboll to see if there were any chance in his taking the Jets job if offered.

LAJet and JohnnyP123456 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.