Official Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ray Lucas, Oct 22, 2020.

?

Our Next Head Coach

Poll closed Nov 5, 2020.
  1. Eric Bieniemy

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Arthur Smith

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Greg Roman

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Jim Harbaugh

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Joe Brady

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Other (Please Explain)

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

As if a 130-93-1 record while making the playoffs for 10 of 14 years, getting to the NFC championship 4 times, and getting to the SB 1 time is a failure.

2. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Adam Schefter just confirmed the Matt Eberflus HC interview request and add that the Jets also requested permission to interview Titans OC Arthur Smith.

He also added, there will be more, this is a fluid, thorough and lengthy, process.

IMO i think the Jets will likely interview the assumed candidates for the job, and I'm hoping some of the more unique or highly touted names are to come.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Is Arthur Smith really any good? I mean how hard is it to call an offense with Derrick Henry there to pound the rock 30+times a game.

Eberflus is a different story, that guy looks like he can flat out coach

Jonathan_Vilma and grkmanga31 like this.
  4. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

And now confirmed - Jets requested to interview Eric Bieniemy

5. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

I hope they take a look at Roman. The guy has had success as both a position and head coach. Plus he has success in implementing and running dynamic offenses- getting the most out of Kaepernick and now Jackson.

Not sure about Bieniemy as a HC. I'm sure he'll be fine eventually, but we don't need someone who will need a few years to cut his teeth and learn the ropes. Same for Arthur Smith; plus he has a name more fitting for a fish 'n' chips shopkeeper than a NFL head coach.

6. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

7. JohnnyP123456

I agree with some of these. I am not really sold on Wink (just seems a little like Rex MK2). I don't understand the Dan Mullen love either. And especially with you on the Bienimey- I just think he might end up being fools gold

I want us to stay away from Greg Roman

I definitely like him, but I just find it hard to see him going directly to a division rival when there's other openings (which fit him more like the Chargers & Herbert)

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Why stay away from Greg Roman?

Why would the Chargers and Herbert fit Daboll more than the Jets and Field/Wilson?

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

Why wouldn't he? He'd be moving up from OC to HC and getting a big raise. Coaches don't usually have team loyalty like fans do. They are all about themselves and their careers.

10. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

LOL at some of the quotes we are getting. Typical company line BS but what do we expect.

Change the culture - only way u change the culture on the fly is to bring in a seasoned vet - like we did in 97.

these names being floated out there doesn't make me too excited as we all know the coaching well isn't that deep.

oh well start praying to the FB gods that lightning strikes.

11. BrowningNagle

Why not go get Urban Meyer? Seriously. he wants to return to the NFL, he wants a rebuilding project. Can the Johnsons ever step up and land a big time hire for once?

12. Its alot easier to conduct an extensive candidate search in this zoom environment than so the normal circumstances w visits to team facilities,wining/dining etc.

They could interview a ton of candidates twice over & still havecthis wrapped up by Fri.

13. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Was talking to my brother about this earlier. This year the search can be done way faster than normal with teams just being able to do it through zoom. The only guy who I think we have a shot at getting that I do not want is Bienemy. I just don't trust who is actually the brains in KC. Look at how bad Nagy has been in Chicago.

I saw rumors of a Marvin Lewis type deal, but him bringing in Hu Jackson as his OC? No thanks.

14. JohnnyP123456

Herbert is way more comparable to Allen imo & he's just had a fantastic rookie year. I'd be happy to be proven wrong but I still have a few candidates higher on my list

I don't know why I have this feeling, but I just think that Roman would not be a good fit for us as HC

15. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Lots of "culture" talk from the players. Interesting we didn't get many leaks about Gase but shows how they really felt

Ralebird and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. JohnnyP123456

He's likely going to Jacksonville apparently

17. NCJetsfan

Hopefully JD isn't running the search by "feelings."

18. BrowningNagle

yeah, the Johnsons will just accept that fate, I'm sure.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm not much interested in Arthur Smith. Playcalling is a lot easier when you have a 2,000 yard rusher and a top 5 player in the NFL in back to back years.

20. BrowningNagle

I agree, Roman would not be a good fit. He's not a QB guru. His running schemes are his forte. 32nd, dead last, this year in passing (somehow behind our Jets, I didn't know that was possible).

He was a failed OC in San Fran and in Buffalo. If it wasn't for Harbaugh and Lamar Jackson he would never be in HC consideration.

Even in Baltimore, midseason this year Lamar Jackson was letting it known that Roman's offense was getting too predictable. They made some changes and haven't lost since but I have to wonder if those changes came from Harbaugh...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.