The Coming Jets Trade: Sam or #2 Pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Jan 3, 2021.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I've been a fan for 55 years and I'm optimistic. You missed a lot of sorry play in the '70s (from 1970 - 1980 they didn't have a single winning season. During that time they had two 7-7 seasons, two 8-8 seasons, two 4-10 seasons, three 3-11 seasons, and one 4-12 season), so you have less reason to be pessimistic than I.

Both optimism and pessimism are choices. We aren't born one way or the other and are forced to remain that way our whole lives. We can learn, we can make decisions to change our mindset. We can choose to see the glass as half full rather than half empty.

Brook!, fdcnyc, REVISion and 3 others like this.
  2. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Lots of good memories from the late-1970's through early-1980's, NCJ. I was in high school and then college at the time.

Remember bringing back the same 5 OL's year after year......Fields....Alexander....Rasmussen....Powell....Ward.....the beatdowns in New England, later avenged....somehow finding a way to beat Shula even when we stunk....the comeback over Miami in 1981 to move us into 1st place when Todd hit Barkum for the winning TD with seconds left (I'd never seen a last-second Jets comeback...EVER !!)....Freeman running galore vs. Cincy......the streetfight vs. Oakland in the next round.....the bleeping Mud Bowl.

Lotta hearbreak. But alot of good memories, too.

Brook!, Jets79 and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Still see no reason to be in a hurry to get rid of Darnold now that he has been unshackled from the millstone that was Gase. He now has the opportunity to swim rather than sink and at the same time give the Jets more options in both the short term and looking down the road. It's not like somebody is going to give anything of high value for him today.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Redskins traded up for RG III in this exact scenario. Do you think the team that traded them the #2 feels badly about making that trade? Do you think they felt badly the year after when RG III was lighting things up and taking the Redskins to the playoffs?

For posterity, the RG III trade was a disaster in the making for the Redskins from the moment they made it. #6, #39, 1st in 2013 and 2014. If the guy had been a real superstar they'd have been in trouble. I hope somebody makes the Jets that kind of offer because we'll take it in a heartbeat.

This team is not a QB away from being a contender right now. We're a QB, a WR, a TE, an interior OL, a CB, an Edge, and a bunch of quality upgrades elsewhere away from being a consistent contender. Maybe 2 interior OL...

Red Menace likes this.
  5. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

So the Bengals finished 5th.

1) JAX
    2) NYJ
    3) MIA
    4) ATL
    5) CIN

I think MIA would love to take Sewell, and CIN should be dying for him.

ATL would love to draft a QB, but MIA probably won't, and CIN definitely won't.

It looks really likely that the Jets could convince CIN to get in front of MIA for Sewell, pick up some really nice assets, and STILL end up with either Wilson or Fields.

6. NCJetsfan

No we won't. Douglas isn't stupid. He knows how important the QB position is. He knows that he has a lot of cap space and 18 picks over the next two seasons, and if he trades Sam, he'll have another pick or two and can build around Fields or whatever QB he takes.

You're a smart guy, but this stuff you're spouting about QB and trading down is flat out wrong and utter nonsense, and you're making yourself look bad.

#106 NCJetsfan, Jan 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    JetsKickAss and Poeman like this.
  7. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

I really like the idea of trading down a few spots and still getting one of the QB's. It all comes down to whether the return is worth the risk of losing out on both of them.

8. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I dont trust Miami and ATL likely will take a QB

9. NCJetsfan

If by both, you mean Lawrence and Fields, then there will be no trading down and getting one of them. You either take him at #2 or someone else will when you trade down. They could trade down and probably still get Wilson, and almost certainly get Lance, but that's not gonna happen with Lawrence and Fields.

10. JetsKickAss

The Rams didn't do that much with the picks they got from Washington, either.

11. JetsKickAss

Miami may draft a QB. Stay tuned.....

12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I have seen it as well, that’s because we have had Idzik and Mac as the GMs. JD is not in the same league as those guys, he will make mistakes as all GMs do but he has shown he is better at drafting than those to ever hoped to be.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  13. Fred Mertz

Fred Mertz Active Member

You mean it isn't?

BacktoQueens likes this.
  14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I hope they somehow parlay the #2 into a bounty of of picks..... fix this team across the board.

Cman68 likes this.
  15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I wonder what it would be worth to either CIN or ATL to jump ahead of MIA. I have a feeling they're all looking at Sewell. JD could always sell the #2 pick, trade or release Darnold and still draft one of the blue chip Qb's in the first or early second round.

16. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

the team has holes at essentially every tier of play other than punter. i hope you're not disputing that part

the issue of whether to hold onto a #2 pick is a separate issue, which in my mind comes down to the players at 2 more than 2 itself and more than some argument that if you don't pick QB at 2 you don't value QBs (that thinking has hurt tons of teams overdraftig guys). FWIW QBs at the number two slot have a checkered history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_second_overall_National_Football_League_draft_picks

JD will need to decide if there's a QB at 2 who's worth it, or perhaps there are a lot of guys who were not QB who were picked 2 and had huge impacts on their team.

Point being IMO this comes down to pure football decision. Is there any player at 2 that JD values at the slot more than the alternatives of trading.

FWIW I am open minded about trading down and open minded about keeping the pick. Jets have bungled this type of thing before, e.g., trading down rather than taking O.Pace, keeping pick for Keyshawn. Hoping we do better this time

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think you're much more likely to see a team in the teens want to make such a move or the bottom half of the top ten than those two teams. Both also have a ton of holes. Atlanta and Cincy aren't a tackle away from competing in the next two years.

You also then risk Miami moving down and allowing a team to move up and get their QB.

I don't think teams often go into drafts wanting one or the other QB. I imagine there's a target and if they're not there, then it's a hard pass. I think the difference between Fields and Wilson is huge and I think a lot of NFL GM's do too.

Cromartie's_kid, stinkyB and Cman68 like this.
  18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I like it. Unless the Dolphins take Fields... Tua "Turndaballova" looked pretty bad down the stretch

NoodleArm, Red Menace and JetsKickAss like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

No one is disputing that the Jets have a ton of holes, least of all me. What I and several other posters are endeavoring to do is to show that there is no reason to automatically assume that the Jets MUST trade down and take a position player rather than a QB, and that we should wait a year or two until we have a solid team built to get a QB. For one thing, the Jets have 18 picks over the next two drafts and a lot of cap space this year with which to fill holes. Most importantly is that a number of posters re foolishly acting like QBs grow on trees and that we are assured of getting a QB next year or in 2023, which is total nonsense. The also don't seem to realize the importance of the QB position. Just any old QB will work in their viewpoint, which is again nonsense.

I am tired of losing because we don't have a very good QB, and I am equally tired of clueless posters who don't have a clue how to build a football team and who are blissfully unaware of the importance of the QB position.

bicketybam and REVISion like this.
  20. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Got it

Personally I don't equate passing on a QB at 2 with not valuing a QB. Instead QB success is more of a symbiotic relationship with the team, its identity, its coach and even where they play

for example, Buffalo was genius (or lucky) to take Allen. Playing in Buffalo and its conditions, having a QB who can throw with zip and run made a ton of sense.

All of the top teams are pretty darn good even without their QB, and their QB wasn't #1, 2 or 3 picks.

My concerns when drafting a QB
    1) many of the top guys have come from dominant programs, stacked with talent compared to their competition. How will they do when playing on a bad team? When the opponent is better? Can they make more with less

2) Often times they come from an area with much better playing conditions than the Northeast (and I'm not limiting this to just USC). How will they play in bad weather, cold

3) Is the team ready? Personally I'm a fan of building a team from the inside out, which at a minimum means i want both lines to be fairly established first. If your OL isn't established and you can't run the ball you're just asking for problems. That said, if there's a QB just sitting there who is awesome yes you take him (but even then you may want to consider starting a vet until you can protect your new investment -- See Joe Burrow)

4) most important IMO how is the guy between the ears, and I'm not just talking Wonderlic. But on film and given the situations did he play smart

This will be JD's most important decisions ever. And we should learn from history: Sam was the second QB taken (where many had him can't miss/#1), Trubitsky was picked at 2, Mariota (with Winston at 1), Wentz (who was great at least for a while but by his 5th year may be damaged goods?), Griffin (who was awesome for a very short while, and #2 behind can't miss A.Luck who played 5 1/2 seasons)

Red Menace likes this.