#2 Overall Pick Draft Options: 12-27-20

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsKickAss, Dec 27, 2020.

?

Assume the Jets have the #2 overall pick. As of TODAY, what do you want to do:

1. Pick a QB at #2

19 vote(s)
    37.3%
  2. Pick a non-QB at #2

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. Trade down and grab a QB a bit lower, picking up a draft pick or two

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  4. Trade down and grab a non-QB a bit lower, picking up a draft pick or two

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Post same Poll after Jan 11th :rolleyes:

JetsKickAss likes this.
  2. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

I intend to...that's why I put the date there. :D

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's really not surprising. We have quite a mixture here with varying levels of knowledge, experience, and wisdom. We have some posters who are VERY knowledgeable and some who are totally clueless, we have some who follow the team and sport closely, and others who are more casual fans and don't know half of the players and coaches on the Jets' names.

REVISion and JetsKickAss like this.
  4. JetsKickAss

Where were you 10 days ago, NCJ ? And where are you now ?

I have my own thoughts -- lean to Fields -- but I really just want to trust JoeD and the new HC and pray the Johnsons stay out of the decision-making.

5. NCJetsfan

I was in NC and I'm still in NC. LOL

If you're asking about QB or what to do with the #2 pick, then my mind is fluid regarding QBs right now, but in terms of what they should at #2, that hasn't changed at all. They need to take a QB or trade down 2-3 spots and take a QB. IMO the idea of taking a positional player at #2 is and has been dumb. That will not change. Similarly, imo the idea of trading down and not taking a QB this year is dumb.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  6. JetsKickAss

Unless JoeD and the new HC are ABSOLUTELY SURE that no draftee (other than TL) will be better than Sam and they can fix Sam in preseason and add 20 points to his QB rating in Year 1.

Basically, they are going to have to bet their jobs on Sam. If they feel that way, yes, then go for it.

But you better be sure.

7. NCJetsfan

They aren't going to think that. The new CS will be getting acclimated, getting to know their players and their abilities/weaknesses, teaching them the offense and adapting as they need to be doing. They will have little or NO time to work on fixing Sam. As another poster has already said, it pretty much is up to the players to work with private coaches and fix themselves. It shouldn't be that way, but because the NFL in their great wisdom limits how much a CS can be in contact with its players during the offseason, it is. Players cannot work on fundamentals while they're learning a new offense and preparing to play, and playing games. Most of their work to improve has to be done on their own time, after practice, and during the offseason.

There are at least 3, maybe 4 QBs in the draft who are already head and shoulders better than Sam. Sam sucks. Posters need to remove their emotions from the equation. They need to stop thinking or hoping he can still succeed here. They're fooling themselves, and in their desires to see Sam succeed, they would cause the team to continue to struggle and the new HC and Douglas to fail.

Douglas and the new HC are NOT going to decide they can fix Sam during preseason. That's not going to happen. You can take that to the bank.

#107 NCJetsfan, Jan 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    JetsKickAss likes this.
  8. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

They need to take a QB at 2, saw something on Twitter about how weak the 2021 class is. Yeah, this should be a slam dunk decision for Douglas. It will just be a matter of which guy he and the new HC like the most.

9. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Draft a QB at 2. Not sure how you could watch Darnold this past week and come to any other conclusion. If you can trade down and get your guy, great. But that seems like an unnecessary risk.

10. JetsKickAss

I agree a trade is most likely.

But the good thing is JoeD has many years left on his contract and no actual investment in Sam. So it's not like he has to "force a hire" for a HC who agrees with him to "save" Sam. JoeD and the new HC can cut bait with Sam if they want.

That means to me...if they REALLY think he's salvageable, they can BOTH agree to do it. If the new HC tells JoeD that he's been saying for months or 2 years that Sam is being misused and he can make a COMPELLING reason for it, then yeah, maybe Sam stays.

We know that many QB's take a huge jump when they get the right system. Ryan Tannehill.....Alex Smith....etc.

It CAN be done.

Not saying it should....:D

11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Next years draft will likely be a bonanza of talent considering so many D1 teams opted out of playing this season. Including the QBs.

b.reyes16 likes this.