The end of an Error - The Gase years are over! (GASE officially FIRED)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I know it is popular to shit on Johnsons, but the owners are not football people, and they rely on GMs to make decisions. Johnson screwed up with Mac to be sure and we ended up with two terrible coaches. But now with JD at the helm, I don't see this as an issue. Johnson was also quick to fire Gase now, which is another good decision. Had he fired him earlier, yeah we win a couple of more games and miss out on Fields. Now he got Mac out, got JD in, got Gase out, decisively completed Sam's evaluation, and are in great position to draft elite QB prospect in Fields. Johnson is making up for his mistakes of the past and Jets are in decent spot to take a step forward. It's JD's show now, so I would not be too worried about Johnsons at this point.

And speaking of not liking Gase from the start, I am looking at the new coaches around the League, some people liked who were in consideration when Gase was hired (Rhule, McCarthy) and they did even worse than Gase in the first year. JD needs to step up and really find someone who can do better...

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Coming up after the commercials on Channel 4 Bruce Beck and Brian Costello discuss the departure of Gase and hopefully map out the future for the Jets.

3. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

fuck the Johnsons

they picked Gase

they have the stupid org chart

fuck the Johnsons

this is 100000000-% their fault

we ALL knew Gase was a putrid interview and then hire

We ALL KNEW

fuck the Johnsons

geomon and Poeman like this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

We need to give Gase some credit though. It is tough to be a COMPLETE DUMPSTER FIRE TRAIN WRECK from your Introductory Press Conference all the way to the last day of football on the day you are fired, but Adam pulled it off. That is no easy feat. God speed, Adam Gase. God speed.

5. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

They relied on their consultants and a former qb of the colts/broncos.

Not much else

The Dark Knight likes this.
  6. Ralebird

Well, there always is that part of the fan base that values consistency over all else.

SOJAZ and The Dark Knight like this.
  7. Terminated117

Terminated117 Active Member

Glad the Gase era is over. This is the first time I’ve been excited about anything with the team in a good while. At the same time, terrified of the unknown future under this ownership

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. geomon

geomon Well-Known Member

We're finally free of this curse, but look who's still in charge. The same guy who cursed us in the first place. I don't trust the owners and I sure as hell don't trust the GM to find a suitable coach for us.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You don't know that. If he goes through the hiring process and recommends a HC, and they refuse to hire the man he recommends for whatever reason, he could quit. Why would he stay? He would see that he will be undermined by their meddling, and their hiring the HC will cause the team to continue to struggle and lose, which will be frustrating and make him look bad. He could walk away and keep collecting his salary, or could sue to get out of his contract if necessary, and have another GM job in two seconds. Everyone in the NFL and the media knows what morons the Johnsons are, and no one would blame Douglas. If anything, it would make people respect him more for getting away from those two and the laughable Jets and caring about building a winner.

#209 NCJetsfan, Jan 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    cmcm750203 likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

Gase didn't do better than anyone. That's simply not true. The Jets record last year may have been better, but the Jets had an easy schedule. Rhule has done a great job in Carolina. They didn't have a whole lot more talent than the Jets did, the only difference is that most of their talent was on offense rather than defense. They had a tougher schedule. McCarthy has been bad, but he lost his starting QB.

11. Ralebird

I think your hypothetical is quite a stretch. Why would the owners not accept the football decisions of the guy they hired to make the football decisions?

12. NCJetsfan

It wasn't my hypothetical. I said all along that the owners would go along with Douglas' recommendation, and their approval would just basically be a rubber stamp. They have no reason to not accept his recommendation, and would be stupid to not accept it. It was other posters who said that Douglas was just a yes man, or that they may not hire the guy Douglas recommends because they wanted someone cheaper or someone else for some reason. That's when I said that Douglas would quit, if that happened, and some disagreed with that. Go back and read the thread.

13. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

It’s frustrating that - unless I’m misremembering - literally everyone knew the Gase hire was not good. Aside from the people making the decision! Bananas.

barfolomew and Jets79 like this.
  14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Hiring coaches who just got fired elsewhere generally backfires spectacularly. Part of the process of learning from your mistakes is to pay the price that those mistakes created. When you get another head coaching job right after you failed at the last place it removes the incentive for you to reinvent yourself to be more successful. Instead you just keep rolling along doing the same things that got you fired at the last place.

Pags2112, SOJAZ, barfolomew and 4 others like this.
  15. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Why? Let JD make the call. My dog could pick a better HC for the Jets than Johnson. Despite being the owners both Woody and Chris need to STFU and GTFO when it comes to this coaching search.

Jets79 likes this.
  16. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

This is nothing but clickbait by Cimini, man. Obviously Johnsons have the final say, they need to sign the check. Douglas is picking his guy. Don't be fooled.

Red Menace likes this.
  17. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Hope you are right and you probably are but I still think back to Chris Johnson's comment saying Adam Gase is brilliant and taking football to where it's going.

barfolomew likes this.
  18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I’m just glad JD is not going to take phone calls from retired players making recommendations about who to hire.

Jets79, Cman68 and dawinner127 like this.
  19. Fred Mertz

Fred Mertz Active Member

I wish we could have a collection of "statements" from the NY Jets over the years of how they "didn't do enough for the fans" and how they are "committed to getting better" etc etc blah blah b;ah rinse and repeat.

Jets79 likes this.