The Coming Jets Trade: Sam or #2 Pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Jan 3, 2021.

1. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

More NFL Insider bullshit? It seems the elite even have more than their fair share of useless eaters.

Royal Tee likes this.
  2. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

I agree with most, if not all of this, but have the same concern as abyzmul - that Woody will look for a big splash when he returns - ala the Tebow fiasco.
    JD may give Sam one more year to get it together, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him roll with James Morgan and a vet next season before making a commitment at the position.

ouchy likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It's tough to think he'd roll with Morgan since the kid never saw the field once this year. I do think Morgan might be a hidden gem and that Douglas might want to try him instead of drafting another QB, but that would be a huge gamble, and he's already gambling on whatever new CS he brings in.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm not interested in Watson. He's very talented, and very good, but somewhat limited, and already is to the level of big contracts. It's too soon for the Jets to make a move like that, and they'd have to trade too much of their draft capital. I'd rather have Fields, Wilson, or maybe even Lance.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

I'm sorry, but it's utter nonsense to say that the team has too many holes to hold onto the #2 pick. I can't believe how many football fans don't realize the importance of the QB position. It's truly mind boggling.

Douglas has already started rebuilding the team. He already has 9 draft picks (5 in the top 100) this season. When he trades Sam, he'll get another pick or two. He has 9 picks next season. Knowing Douglas, he'll trade down at least once in the draft anyway. He has over $72 million in cap space, and with a few cuts, he can have around $93 million to spend in FA. That is more than enough to build around Fields.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

What?! How is he limited? He's a top five talent at the position with a cannon that can make all the throws, run when he needs to and will his team back into games down several scores. He's also a great kid to boot and has a great football mind that dissects a defense just as good as any QB in the game sans a couple.

7. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I don't care so much about whether we trade back or stay put or draft a QB or trade Darnold.

I just want to see a clearly executed plan.

Step 1 is the Johnson's letting JD pick his coach.

Step 2 is seeing a synergy between JD's draft and the new coach. If we hire an accomplished offensive coach with a history of developing QB's then draft a QB at the 2. Then invest heavy in oline and skill positions.
    If we hire a guy who is known for turning programs around trade back and gather more assets.

Step 3 is us as fans getting to enjoy feeling like our organization is actually running like it's organized.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

8. Jonathan_Vilma

I would honestly settle for the season not being over before Halloween at this point. Maybe battle for a playoff spot once every three years?

9. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Cue appropriate crying laugh gif

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

REVISion likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

All true, but he'd cost a huge portion of the cap.

cval likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

That's OK. He'd win 9 games with this year's Jets roster. We would've been 10-6 with him last year.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  12. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I get after these dudes on IG. Constantly asking why do the reporters NEVER do a piece on the crappy owners that we have.
    I've gotten some weird "fans" who defend them then you see their profile and it's some bot lookin questionable poster.

These dudes aren't there to stir the pot, they are there to contain the shit when the stew boils over.

13. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

There’ll be quality QBs available next year. We have the opportunity to draft one into a stable team with a fair amount of talent, as opposed to drafting a prospect into a garbage fire and then ruining him and setting the team up for another rebuild.

I hear you about Fields though. Kid looks solid. If he’s significantly better than next year’s QB prospects, I wouldn’t object to drafting him.

14. NCJetsfan

Yes, there will be quality QBs available next year, but there may be none available who are as good as Lawrence and Fields. Even if there are, there are no guarantees that we'll be in a position to draft one of them or be able to trade up to get one of them.

The Jets should have somewhere between $72-$92 million in cap space depending on if they cut anyone. They presently have 9 draft picks.

For argument's sake, let's use the trade chart, and let's say that JD doesn't take a QB and trades down with Carolina from #2 to #8. The #2 pick is worth 2600 points. The #8 pick is worth 1400 points. Carolina has pick #39 of the 2nd round, and it is worth 510 points. Their 3rd round pick is #73 and it is worth 225 points. Carolina will probably be drafting lower next year, and picks a year later are downgraded one level so to make it even at all, we'd have to get their 2nd and 3rd round picks next year as well. So that would give us the #8 pick, the 27th pick (or lower if Seattle goes a round or two in the playoffs), the 34th pick, the 39th pick, the 66th pick, the 73rd pick, the 91st pick, the 98th pick, the #130 and #138 picks, and pick #162. Even if they don't trade Sam, they'll have 11 picks. This year's rookies will have a year's experience, the young DL will have a year's experience, with an infusion of 2 or 3 starters from FA, possibly another 3-4 starters from the draft, better coaching, and probably an easier schedule, the Jets could win anywhere from 5-8 games next year, which at best would probably have them drafting at #10 or #11 at best, and they could be drafting in the mid-teens. Do you honestly think their chances of getting a good QB next year would be good? Bad teams who need a QB more than likely aren't going to trade down. Those teams willing to trade down would demand something like our 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks in 2022 and 2023 if not more, so we wouldn't be able to improve our team after that until 2024. Contrast that now where we could take a QB at #2 or trade down 2-3 spots and take a QB in 2021, we have all that cap space and at least 9 draft picks with which to build around that QB, and then we have a bunch of picks in 2022 (9) to continue upgrading. In addition, if JD trades Sam, that would give us at least one more pick, maybe two, and if JD trades down from Seattle's pick or our #2, we'd add another pick or picks. Taking a QB this year is the best way to go. We know what the prospects are this year, we're in position to take one where we are, and it make more sense in terms of draft capital, starting over year one of the new HC regime with a rookie QB so the offense is developing together, and in every way. We don't want to repeat Mac's mistake of 2017 passing on Mahomes and Watson, waiting for 2018.

The wisest course is to trade Darnold and take Fields at #2 or trade down a little and take one of Wilson or Lance.

#94 NCJetsfan, Jan 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  15. NCJetsfan

He does NOT have a cannon. I don't think his arm is strong enough for NE winters. It would cost way too much, and at the beginning of a rebuild is not the time to trade away a bunch of draft capital and take on a big contract. I agree with the rest that you say about him, but still think that trading for him would absolutely be the wrong move.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Huh?

He's got a fucking rifle bro.

17. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

It's mind boggling to me as well. They are fans that have their opinions stuck in the 90's. They still believe that defense and a run game are how you win championships, ignoring the last 20 years of evidence that say otherwise.

I cannot stress this enough - in the modern NFL almost nothing else matters if you don't have a good QB. The rules and schemes have evolved to favor passing and in general the teams that pass most effectively are the ones that consistently compete for titles. I know I'm preaching to the choir with you NC but it's insane to me that we still have a sizable number of fans who don't realize these things.

18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The Jets need a fresh start. Sam needs a fresh start. It is not rocket science. Today was the cherry on top of a terrible 2 years of Gase's offense. They don't have to use the #2 pick on a QB though. They can sign a veteran, draft one in the 2nd round or 3rd round. etc. They have options. I personally think Justin Fields is the way to go, but Douglas has a few months to evaluate if he likes Wilson, Lance, Jones or any other QB more. I just don't think it is wise to return Sam. The Jets need a clean slate. Sam does too.

19. Terminated117

Terminated117 Active Member

I don’t see how Sam stays now. Personally I wouldn’t be completely against him staying and building around him under a competent HC, but I feel like JD is going to draft his guy. I don’t know that Fields is the answer, I was iffy about him, but after that Sugar Bowl performance I’m thinking differently. You just can’t teach stepping up and handling big moments/games like that. Either you have the juice or you don’t.

20. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

You try to be optimistic after being a fan of this team 40 plus years. Get back to me then.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Brook! likes this.