Bye Bye Sammy!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by semperfigreen, Jan 3, 2021.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

First, no animosity here. I respect you totally. Just saying on this one issue that we disagree. No one said that we always had to agree. I can understand your opinions, and they're valid.

No, I'm not assuming that, but I am saying that he should be sold on Fields. I've seen/heard nothing that would suggest that Fields wouldn't be the right pick at #2. That doesn't mean that there's not something like that I/we are not privy to yet.

If he likes Wilson best, fine, he can trade down 2-3 spots and take him and add an additional pick or picks, but Wilson has more red flags than Fields, and imo Fields is the superior prospect. I'll lose a lot of trust and respect for JD if he passes on Fields, even to take Wilson or Lance. I'd hope for the best, but wouldn't hold my breath.

Borat, matt robinson 17 and Royal Tee like this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You are the definition of a Darnold apologist. He doesn't make enough throws demanded of an NFL quarterback. He can wing the ball around and he has a big enough arm but he's nowhere near accurate with anything that's deeper than 7 yards.

NCJetsfan, REVISion, Rockinz and 4 others like this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Also looks like he has whichever Smith is #17 open regardless of where he breaks. And as you said - Ty Johnson has a 10 yard gain right in front of him.

4. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

What’s the score again? hmmmm

5. BrooklynJetsFan

You’re the definition of a Jets fan deluded that a HC/QB carousel solves our problem as a franchise. kick rocks!

6. Jonathan_Vilma

It doesn't. But this isn't 1979 where you draft a quarterback and stick it out with them for a decade because that's just what you do. He's had three years and will be going into his third head coach and offensive coordinator. Rarely do guys survive in those situations.

No immediate pressure (free runner may have been coming late), clean pocket and he makes this throw with four Patriots in the picture and ball legitimately 10 yards away from the receiver.

Can you defend this one too please?

EDIT: link since the NFL is a bunch of nazis; https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BMAB6BAgAEAE&usg=AOvVaw1DSm4Sd4Xh3NwhYpZIOkz2

7. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

The jets did not do right by Sam, but he was picked 3rd overall and at some point you expect your franchise qb to elevate the play around him.

To me it's pretty apparent that Sam deserves a fresh start, and the jets deserve to draft somone to replace darnold and get whatever they can in compensation to trade him.

He was always super professional, but he has regressed so much since his rookie year that any reclamation attempt would be be beyond risky imo.

8. BrooklynJetsFan

Nope, Not defending Darnold and his play – JUST that you think any rookie QB would suddenly do better is laughable.

it's a missed throw, not a the worst INT. He overthrew a curl which is open. The Safety brackets Perriman, though if Perriman curls in versus a comeback he's in better position to force a PI as the robber safety has no clue where the ball is going to – literally just following Perriman.

But look at the play call. There's 3 receivers with 7 defenders in coverage. Even the comeback on the wide side of the field is an iffy throw. It's a terrible play call more than the INT. There's an open window, Darnold just misses it. I'm OK with that.

The best Darnold can do is try to dump the ball over the lineman to the RB without getting tipped.

Russell Wilson still throws these kinds of INTs. the end zone one is clear Perriman isn't on the same page. that's an easy break off the corner route / run a seam and you have a touchdown. Gase is just trying to make Perriman like he's D. Thomas back in his Broncos days.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Russell Wilson also almost triples the amount of touchdowns he throws every year.

The situation is irrelevant. The player still makes awful decisions and can't hit open receivers within the yardage range that is imperative in the league. Rarely can players rehab themselves after being thrust into bad situations and three consecutive years of bottom tier play.

He was pretty much the worst QB in the league that would qualify sans Haskins. And he just got cut in-season after year two.

10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I don't think Sam is the worst QB; I'd still take him over Lock, washed-up Newton, Jones, 2020 Wentz, and possibly Trubisky. But I will say that I'm glad he didn't play well today because even though it may have cost the Jets a pick, it decreased the odds that the Jets would be dumb enough to think he's the future.

Borat, matt robinson 17 and REVISion like this.
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Thanks NC, no animosity ever taken. Likewise, nothing but respect for you. As I mentioned on a few other threads,I’m quite impressed with Fields based on the few games I saw , more so than TL. To me he has shown quite an accurate and strong arm under pressure and he is a tough leader. So I’m in agreement with you. Haven’t seen much of Wilson at all. But I’m far from a good judge of QB talent, as I also thought Sam was the answer we been waiting for.
    I will say, people that think TL is the undisputed #1 selection might be surprised.
    Today’s game was the last nail on the coffin for me, JD must finds us a QB. I would be thrilled pink with Fields and a vet in camp to help him along. I have a bad vibe about TL, based on what I saw in two bowl games. I sure hope JD gets it right.

12. BrooklynJetsFan

I don't disagree with you. But don't blame this all on Darnold. the first INT was a really bad playcall, you're asking your QB to make a pass in coverage or tough pass on wide side of the field with ample time for defender to contest the ball or even pick it. All around bad play call..

13. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

14. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Well I for one would love to see if a rookie QB can do better.

15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Sometimes, you just have to know when to hold and know when to fold. It's time for the Jets and Sam to part ways for the benefit of both. Sometimes you can hang around a situation too long and that never ends well. I wish Sam luck, but its time for Sam to move on..

16. BrooklynJetsFan

We'll never see that because we're gonna have a new team in 2021 with different players. So it's a mute point.

The proper way to compare – out of all of the top QBs from that draft, look what Mayfield and Allen have around them versus Sam. You can say he sucks all you want...but Mayfield and Allen are not throwing or handing off to scrubs. Chubb, Diggs, Odell, Landry, are starters on any NFL team. Crowder is a #3.

This ain't about Darnold. I can care less if he goes, but I rather build a successful team of talented young players than hope a QB revives this franchise. Those only come once in a lifetime...and Macc passed on him a few years ago.

I'm tired of putting my hopes on a QB. Let's do what the SF, TEN did, build a team first and plugged in a QB. And both made it deep into the playoffs and have good to great teams when healthy.

LAJet likes this.
  17. VegasMav

VegasMav Well-Known Member

I was a supporter of Darnold until this last game. Darnold has some tools, big, strong, athletic, and can make throws, his problem or greatest weakness is his mental awareness to read defenses. Not sure if that's the part of development that he didn't get from the Gase coaching staff, but none the less, he just can't read defenses.

18. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I am still a Darnold supporter but will say this.
    He looks at limes like the game has yet to "slow down".
    I think between the missed games and having an incompetent staff around him totally hindered his progress.
    I think Sam can be a helluva QB and if they build this right he can be that guy but, something tells me that won't happen here and some of us will be back in a few years with the big I F**n TOLD YA! lol

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  19. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

It's currently the surest sign of someone having bad Jets opinions overall. They're the same people who want to take Sewell at #2.

#119 REVISion, Jan 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  20. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

There is no way the Jets can have Darnold under center in 2021