The Coming Jets Trade: Sam or #2 Pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Deshaun Watson to the Jets... Texans have no 1st round pick and a roster devoid of talent , not to mention they're only $10 million under the cap.

May be far fetched but at least its interesting to think about

Bellys Lies likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Not happening. Would the Seahawks trade Russell Wilson? Would the Chiefs trade Mahomes? He's in the same class.

REVISion and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

For those that believe Sam has any value - did you just see that clean pocket throw 5 yards over Perriman's head and five yards behind him?

He's absolutely garbage. It doesn't really matter what the support system was like (also absolute garbage). The kid can't make basic NFL throws. Not to mention the receiver was bracketed underneath on either side.

4. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Probably not but they don't have $ to surround Watson with the talent they need to be successful & a QB on a rookie deal is very enticing for a team in their position ... just throwing it out there.

5. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

so wanted Darnold to be the answer (finally) to our never ending issues with QBs but there just is not enough there to continue the experiment - rip it up and start again (again)

dmw, REVISion, 88toon and 2 others like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If Douglas doesn't take a QB at #2 I will officially be on the Douglas Doubters Train.

7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Not me, JD is not looking at a player including a QB the same way we as fans are looking at them.

Jets evaluation is not based on YouTube highlights, it’s based on tape that shows the whole field under multiple formations and defensive formations. How many open receivers they are missing and how they read the defenses pre-snap and post-snap.

Then there are all the other parameters, foundation, balance, arm strength, accuracy, IQ. Scouts have been looking at these things for quite some time now, if JD doesn’t believe there is a QB worth taking at 2 after TL, I will accept it and hope he grabs one later in the draft.

dmw, Footballgod214, Brook! and 2 others like this.
  8. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

At this point I would trade Sam for a kicking tee and a bag of footballs.

But realistically, I do not see them getting more than a 4th given the contract situation of 1 year or a huge cost on 5th year option.

9. ColoradoContrails

I respect your opinion, but if he were to look for a QB later that means either he's keeping Darnold - which would cause me to have a stroke - or he's looking to sign a cheap vet and hope that he can be good enough and that his draft pick is good enough. Frankly that's more faith than I can muster at this point.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Don't worry, they'll draft a QB at #2 onto a shell of a team, then when the guy has struggles early as most QBs do, and the rest of the team kind of sucks and can't make up for shitty QB play, the guy will be labeled a bust and run out of town.

Then we'll draft somebody at #1 in 3 years, onto a shell of a team.

What we should be doing is this:

ukjetsfan and Red Menace like this.
  11. Section 336

While I agree it is not happening, I do not think that Watson is even close to the level of Mahomes or Wilson both of whom will be Hall of Famers.

12. ColoradoContrails

I hear you, but it's not like when they drafted Sanchez and had only 4 picks left. Between FA and the rest of the picks this year and next year if Douglas can't build a decent roster with that, it won't matter what else he does.

REVISion likes this.
  13. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

true....i myself have made a few posts about the possibility of trading #2 - either with the intent of keeping darnold or not.

surely doesn't take a genius to chirp that out.

still think thats the best thing to do IF the jags take lawrence.

fields is good but he is not lawrence and the jets cannot afford to take 2 QB misfires in the top 3 - in the last 4 years.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  14. jilozzo

i agree with you as u have to inquire. not many around here agree with that though, whatever.

Jersey Joe 67 likes this.
  15. jilozzo

agree - but IF the jets can build the roster the right way - the next QB won't have to be at that level.

16. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

I don't follow CFB. Are there no impressive QB talents in the 2022 draft?

This team has too many holes to hold on to the #2 pick. Trade down, gather more draft capital, and start rebuilding the team.

Focus on a WR, a C and G, and a DE. Maybe even take a flyer on a QB later on. The Jets should draft a QB every year until they land on one.

17. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

I think the fact that we have an extra 1 this year and next, the extra 3 and an additional (hopefully) 2 or 3 for Sam with the second most cap space in football allows us to do both. I think we can take the QB at 2 and still use other resources to build a sustainable team, especially if Douglas can turn the Seattle 1 this year or next into additional draft picks.

18. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Watson is for sure in that class with Mahomes and Wilson.

19. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

They can do both of those things. Jets will most likely pick a QB at 2, as they should.

20. Section 336

Time to pass the bong.