Urban Myer to the Jags could be gold for the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Jan 1, 2021.

1. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Yeah he didn’t really do much for me except cement the fact that I wanted him at 2 if Lawrence is gone

I’m just happy the national audience including Jets fans got to see him at his best

I don’t blame people though, he was coming off his worst game against Northwestern and not everyone is a big college football fan.

He’s definitely legit and it wouldn’t shock me if he goes 1st overall. We’re in a great spot to be honest, Lawrence or Fields as the consolation is perfectly fine with me

JetsKickAss likes this.
  2. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

We can, but we won't.

Whoever heard of the #1 overall pick team trading DOWN to #2 ?

Screw it, if we're taking a QB, we'll take whoever is left. I'm not trading up for anything over a #5 draft pick and even that may be too much.

If he wants to con someone with this move, call Ryan Pace of Chicago. :D

Poeman likes this.
  3. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Fields can throw another 5 tds against Bama and I still think Jax is taking TLaw.

There is great marketing potential and they need to sell tickets. Fans will go nuts even if Fields ends up a better pro

4. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

That assumes that the Jets are ok with either. If you believe we most do that Lawrence is better, and you want him, then you have to make it worth the Jags while.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  5. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I am really looking forward to the National Championship! It's nice to have more good football to talk about after tomorrow--and still consequential for the Jets to boot!

The better the day Fields has the better off we are regardless--we should hope he has a historically great day.

It boosts value of our draft spot, coaching search potential and give Jacksonville something to debate over.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  6. JetsKickAss

Yeah, can't remember the last time Jets fans or any NFL fans had so much riding on 2 CFP games.

Gonna be fun. Jets are now going to be THE TALK of the draft the next few months, unless folks want to oversell the "Jacksonville may draft Fields" gossip.

7. DuhesSeaOfMud

DuhesSeaOfMud Member

Meyer will draft Fields over Lawrence because Fields played QB at the same school Meyer once coached at. That Buckeye brotherhood runs deep.

Maybe Meyer will throw us all a curve ball and bring Haskins into Jax and draft Sewell 1.01.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  8. baalworship

baalworship Active Member

Urban Meyer seems like a pure marketing play by the Jacksonville organization. His success in college was largely based on recruiting.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Just heard on Fox News this AM Urban Meyer will be returning to Coaching after 2 years off. They say as new Coach of Jacksonville Jags, so if major network carries this must be official.

Gut says we will be in a Win Win scenario especially if Fields plays lights out against Bama

A win by OSU will really pressure UM as new HC to possibly roll with favorite son Buckeye...a loss less so and probably takes Trevor or if Poeman is correct it's all about marketing with Trevor anyways.

But if Fields takes us to Playoffs I won't be crying in my Beer ahaha

Poeman likes this.
  10. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

He doesn’t have much at the WR position and his OC wasn’t at the sideline which is huge in college football. TL is the truth.

11. JetsKickAss

The press down there knows UM very well from his Florida and college days. They are already sounding the alarms about his hire; if his intention was to pass on Trevor for Justin or Haskins, I think tar-and-feathers would be visible soon.

I'm not sure anything is going to happen.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I mean just like we were stuck with Gase if the org hires Meyer then theres nothing they can do about it. Actually if the Jags were a good organization they would let the coach pick who he wants rather than force a QB on him.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  13. JetsKickAss

True, but any coach selling himself would be expected to give a clear reason why they prefer Justin Fields over Trevor Lawrence. Saying that Justin is "my guy" won't cut it.

Of course, for all we know, Urban Meyer knows Trevor is #1. Plenty of examples of NFL coaches passing on guys they coached in college.

14. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

While it would be great if the Jags scooped up UM as their HC, I wouldn't tie him to Fields just due to the OSU connection. I'm not a fan of UM as I think he's a pretty low character guy so the Jags hiring him would close one of the more appealing HC positions while not taking any of the leading Jets candidates off the board...that would be a win. Following UM a bit over his career, if interested you should listen to what Paul Finebaum has to say about him, he'll no doubt have it in his contract that he'll have final say in personnel and will of course pick the best QB (i.e. the one who will make him look the best) which will have nothing to do w/ an OSU hook. Schefty reported UM was ensuring he could be "all in" prior to throwing his name firmly in the NFL coaching ring, that would be a huge alarm bell to me if I were the Jags, especially based on his track record. To me this has Nick Saban to the NFL Part 2 writer all over it, but again, would be a huge win for the Jets if it came true.

15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

If that is what he wants then the Jags are dumber than dirt to do it. Nor will any respectable GM want to be part of that nonsense. Yet to find a case where being HC and have personnel final decision works worth a shit in the long run. This ain’t college UM.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree. At this point, I like Fields better than Lawrence. If OSU wins and/or if Fields has a great game even in a loss, Jacksonville may take him instead of Lawrence. I hope he has a solid, respectable game, but Alabama wins.

17. NCJetsfan

I agree.

LAJet likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

I agree. I think it's silly to assume that just because UM was HC at OSU and Fields played at OSU, that he'll want Fields. UM also coached at Florida, and I don't see anyone suggesting that he might want Traskas his QB.
    Still, I must admit that UM could want Fields, and that scares me, as I now want Fields more than Lawrence.

19. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I suggest you watch Fields play be Indiana and NorthWestern. There is absolutely no basis to like Fields over Lawrence.

Trevor Lawrence is the best prospect I’ve seen since Elway. There is a reason McShay dropped Fields from 2 to 9 in his rankings.

but seriously watch the tape of those 2 games before you say Fields is better than Lawrence

20. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member