Ramifications of the Ohio State vs. Clemson game

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BudJet, Jan 2, 2021.

1. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Enough of the Wilson nonsense, he’s not Fields.

2. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Second this. Stop bringing up Wilson. You look silly. It’s Fields/Darnold gets traded, Sewell/Darnold stays, or trade down and pick up Trey Lance + more picks.

Outside chance Meyer goes to Jags and picks Fields #1 over TLaw.

Really Wilson is not in the equation. Nobody is trading up for Wilson over Fields. especially after what Fields did last night.

Poeman and Freddy Mondo like this.
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Point taken. So they have 3 potential stars on the roster at this point. I think Maye is very underrated at this point. The kind of player you really miss when he is gone.

4. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

This is my one hope of the entire offseason/draft. Just don't step onto any more minefields. Stockpile good and hopefully a couple really good players. No clicks followed by detonation.

JetsKickAss and Br4d like this.
  5. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Hearing that urban Meyer going to jags, fields would become a better possibility at #1. Ohio St connections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Agreed. We need to keep Maye. He's been a top five safety this year and would be irreplaceable on this defense. He's a reincarnation of Devin McCourty and I've been saying that for a couple years. He's a big reason the Jets do not give up big passing plays and he added impact plays this year to his resume and man to man cover ability on deep balls. His ball skills have also drastically improved.

He was also a big reason why Adams was allowed to roam around the box without big play repercussions.

I hope JD makes keeping him a priority.

7. Br4d

The odds are never 75% in your favor on a high pick QB.

You maybe get 50/50 on the top guy.

After that the draft record back to the merger says QB's taken on the #2 are about 35% likely to succeed if a QB was taken on the #1. It's not an impossible proposition but it is extremely low value for the pick position. Almost any other position has a 50/50 or better chance to prove out on the #2. QB's taken 2nd after another one went 1st just don't make that grade.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Just wondering what other peoples thoughts are on how much the 2nd pick is worth at the moment. Any ideas?

JetsKickAss likes this.
  9. Br4d

More than it was worth yesterday.

No idea if anybody will make us an offer that makes us move it. It would probably take a top 10 pick this year plus top 10 in the 2nd round plus a 1st next year. That's probably ballpark for what we might see offered assuming nobody had a stroke and made a Ditka-esque offer for the pick.

ouchy likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Completely agree. I'm not saying Lawrence is trash, or that I wouldn't take him if Jax took Fields, but I think Fields and Wilson are better bets.

matt robinson 17 and LAJet like this.
  11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

That sounds kind of high. Not saying I don't like it though.

If Fields plays even decent in the championship there will be plenty of offers.

12. Br4d

The Eagles-Browns trade for the #2 pick in 2016 was #8 + #77(3rd) + #100(4th) + 1st round in 2017 + 2nd round in 2017 for #2 and a 4th in 2017.

The Eagles took Carson Wentz.

JetsKickAss and ouchy like this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It's expected that QBs taken at 2 don't succeed as often as players at other positions taken there because the rewards to getting a successful QB are significantly greater than those to getting a successful player of another position.

REVISion, b.reyes16 and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

I'll believe it when I see it; the Jax blogosphere is already sounding the alarms.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

By right coach you mean Daboll

16. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

All of these points you are trying to make, were all on display last night against Clemson. You CLEARLY didn't watch the game. You CLEARLY haven't watched this kid play consistently.

Clemson has a small defense? They are the best ranked defense in the CFB playoffs.
    Jeremy Ruckert literally only had like 100yds receiving heading into the Clemson game. He Is not a pass catching power house by any means.

He doesn't progress through reads?
    Arm talent is non-existent?
    His deep ball is TERRIBLE and Inconsistent?

You clearly didn't watch this game all the way through. You clearly haven't seen this kid play much at all. You either are talking out of your ass or those youtube highlights have really messed with your head. No offense at all, but, It's obvious.

You didn't articulate anything that suggests you truly understand what It is you're trying to claim. To me, you sound like someone who Is biased towards another QB and Is just spouting off things to try to make another prospect look bad because you believe that Wilson Is better.

It's okay to believe Wilson Is better. Be reasonable though. The things you are saying just aren't true, It's hard to make that stick at this point. Especially after last nights game where the whole country was watching.

17. horsehead

horsehead Well-Known Member

Trevor Lawrence is getting drafted at #1. 100%
    Fields, while he looked amazing last night, his game and intangibles were off the charts.
    BUT, the guy that smacked him, Skalski...their defensive leader, was tossed. That changed the game a lot for Clemson as well.
    I'm OK if we stay with Same and turn the pick into help in multiple spots. We need lots of it.

westiedog1 likes this.
  18. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

well said NC Jetsfan. U and I might disagree about Lawrence, but you are spot on about this.

19. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Yeah, I posted that the proposed trades were that our pick had 2,600 Draft Value Points on the Jimmy Johnson Chart and we were being offered about 2,700 with about half of it deferred.

I think the pick is now worth about 3,200 - 3,400 points with about half deferred (2022 and 2023 drafts).

Unless Justin Fields craps out against Alabama, the pick should increase as we head to draft day.

I also think that the pick and/or Sam Darnold will be traded -- if they are going to be traded -- no later than mid-February. Maybe a bit later if a team hires a coach from a SB team and needs time.

ouchy likes this.
  20. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

totally agree....that guy you quoted obviously didnt see the same game i saw. the kid threw a couple of bombs with brused ribs and he is compaining about arm strength?
    . Fields
    has definatly boosted his stock in my book.

#120 BudJet, Jan 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2021