Ramifications of the Ohio State vs. Clemson game

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BudJet, Jan 2, 2021.

1. baalworship

baalworship Active Member

Lawrence is still QB 1.
    Wilson is QB 2.

And last night showed why the idea that Lawrence was way ahead of the field is wrong.

Fields will probably get taken too high. He should probably go mid 2nd, around where Lock went.

boozer32 and SettlerDawg like this.
  2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

You can not like Justin Fields for whatever reason, you can think he’ll bust at the next level.

However when you say things like his arm is non existent it’s clear to me you either have no idea what you’re watching or you’re not watching at all.

Also to say he had guys wide open.. like what?? He was fitting balls in tight spots all night with Russ Wilson like touch

3. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

You could very well be right, but I think this is where bringing in the right coach matters. Someone who can look at the tape and pick the right prospect and develop him accordingly. All of these players have their own weaknesses coming into the pros and its on the team to develop him. Lawrence is by no means a lock if we surround him with shit and the same thing goes for Fields.Conversely look at Allen when he came in. He was a gutsy kid from a small program with a big arm and bad accuracy. Despite a lot of issues, the Bills groomed him to be a good QB. I think if any of the top 3 QBs fail with us it will be because our organization failed them not vice versa.

dmw, NCJetsfan, Brook! and 3 others like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

True, but I'll be very disappointed if he passes Fields or Lawrence.

boozer32, REVISion, BudJet and 6 others like this.
  5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

January 11th can't come soon enough..!!!

Alabama didn't cover against ND and gave up 14 points against Ian Book

You have to figure Fields at QB can get 28

Brook! and matt robinson 17 like this.
  6. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Well worst case the value of our pick went up a bit...kid showed heart and guts and made some nice throws

Alabama will be a much bigger test, so I’m excited to see that

if he does well there too, that’ll make JDs decision a bit tougher, but will only increase the value if he wants to trade down

Brook!, ouchy and JetsKickAss like this.
  7. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Wilson is the better quarterback, but Fields showed a lot of good qualities and I wouldn't be upset if he's the pick at 2. I just prefer Wilson much much more.

boozer32 likes this.
  8. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Its an accurate take if you look at the film. Doesnt really matter regardless. It seems many NFL scouts agree with em actually. I dont think you know what arm talent is. You probably think darnold has it.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

JetsKickAss likes this.
  9. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Raise your hand if you felt the exact same way after the Penn State/ USC Rose Bowl a few years ago.

When I saw that game I dreamed about drafting Sam Darnold. Remembering that feeling, yes Fields was awesome last night. It increases the value of the pick which is great for us. Let's see how he does against Alabama. Sam had a great big time Bowl Game too. I still lean towards keeping Sam and trading the pick, but I'm not dead-set on it. It will be interesting to see how JD plays it.

10. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I can’t even believe people would still take Wilson over Fields

Fields is an NFL ready athlete and Wilson has shoulder issues / just looks too skinny all around. I honestly can’t see him being able to take NFL hits unless he bulks up big time

Wilson couldn’t do much against Coastal Carolina and Fields just dominated Clemson

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Shiny new toy vs. massive upgrade of the overall Roster... JD needs to choose wisely.

12. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Maybe but it goes both ways, good qbs elevate bad players also. I think given the area, and abilities, i think Wilson is the dude. Fields is not a top qb

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I like Wilson a lot, but honestly, what Fields just did has made me reconsider which one is better. Wilson has that "It factor" that Mahomes has, although he doesn't have Mahomes's arm. Also, his two shoulder injuries have to give anyone pause. Fields is bigger, stronger, faster, and showed of an arm that also isn't quite Mahomes-level but is pretty damn close - he mad some big league throws last night, and showed a lot of guts and leadership. I may be completely wrong, but I think Fields needs to be the pick at #2.

BudJet, Borat, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  14. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Guys, let's admit one thing: JoeD is going to earn his 7-figure paycheck this year. The man has a super-hard job hiring a HC and then deciding what to do at #2.

Minefields galore.

Pepsiguy5, BudJet, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Mark Sanchez passed for 413 yards and 4 TD's against Penn State in the 2009 Rose Bowl. He ran for another TD. He set the Rose Bowl record by completing 80% of his passes (28 of 35) and USC beat the Nittany Lions 38-24.

A great bowl game is just that: a great bowl game.

16. JetsKickAss

That's what the Knight told Indiana Jones and that crooked Nazi guy when they were choosing the Grail ! :D

Red Menace and Cman68 like this.
  17. JetsKickAss

What were both teams ranked ?

Same with Sam's Rose Bowl...what were both teams rankings ?

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

There's a fundamental misunderstanding among a lot of fans that primarily watch the NFL and don't watch a lot of college football beyond highlight tapes on YouTube and the occasional big bowl game.

Big time quarterbacks in college are going to throw to open receivers. They're going to throw bombs versus Central Michigan and Charlotte and play a half with 225 yards, four touchdowns and be up 42-0 where they don't even put their helmet on in the second half. It's just the way the game works.

There's also going to be a lot of screens and receiver swings and what not that will bolster completion percentages.

But fans should sit down and watch entire game tapes and see the good things that some of these prospects do before spewing things out like oh he only throws to open receivers, he has all day to throw, etc.

Peyton Manning threw to wide open receivers at times. So did Andrew Luck. So did Russell Wilson. Patrick Mahomes definitely did in that air raid.

They made a lot more throws than that which won't show up on YouTube. They have a lot more skills that won't be on display on ESPN.

FJF, Freddy Mondo, Brook! and 2 others like this.
  19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Both teams were 10-1 coming in. They were ranked 5 and 6 in the nation coming in. USC wound up at 4 and Penn State at 10 in the final rankings.

It doesn't really matter how they were ranked coming in. One game doesn't tell you much about any individual player in that game. That's the point.

The Bowl games are one piece of data in a much larger whole on each player. Anybody who weights them much higher than that is just skewing the prism through which they are evaluating the player.

Another example would be Zach Wilson who just put on a great performance as BYU beat UCF 49-23. Who was he being compared too as the BYU fans ranked him all time in bowl games for BYU?

Jim McMahon, Robbie Bosco, Ty Detmer...

By the time the draft rolls around we'll have these guys pretty well ranked with their full college careers being heavily weighted by the smart draft teams. Then there will be the 'special' games where they were high profile as another factor. Then the Combine where they ran around and threw passes in their skivvies. Finally the interviews will be assessed.

My best guess at that point is that Trevor Lawrence will be #1 by a wide margin. The rest will be placed on draft boards according to the way they fit in with the overall talent available in the draft. Bad teams will inevitably weight them higher than they should be because that's what bad teams do. Smart draft teams will bide their time and bite on the QB's when the value they represent matches the pick the team is drafting on. Nobody other than Lawrence is worth anything close to a #2 overall draft pick.

If I had to guess right now I think it is more than likely that some team makes a Sanchez level error in the top 5. I think some team picks the 3rd QB somewhere in the 11-15 range. I think the 4th guy goes in the mid to late 20's. That's just a guess though. NFL teams do very stupid things on a regular basis around the QB position because they equate the need for a QB with the opportunity to acquire one without thinking hard enough about what drafting a mediocre QB really does to your team.

Brook!, Sec124DieHard and JetsKickAss like this.
  20. JetsKickAss

Wow, so you don't believe the Jets or anybody else should take Fields #2. Or Wilson. Where do you think they should slot ?