Trade down or BPA, with 9 teams drafting QBs early what is the best option?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsFan, Jan 1, 2021.

1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

After what we have seen this year, there are 9 possible teams who might select a QB early in the 2021 draft.
    Jacksonville
    Jets
    Carolina
    Atlanta
    Detroit
    49ers
    Chicago
    Washington
    New England

With the massive list we know Trevor Lawrence will be selected by Jacksonville, but everything after that is open to debate. Yes if the Jets had the #1, Trevor Lawrence would be a Jet, but we don’t and he won’t.

As of right now I think Zack Wilson is the best candidate at QB for the Jets, but I’m not sold on him. So the question is, if given a good deal, should the Jets trade the #2 pick and move down and keep hoping in Darnold?

Would you be happy with a trading down some spots and picking Micah Parsons, Ja'Marr Chase or Gregory Rousseau and then getting a Trey Lance, Kyle Trask, or J.T. Daniels?

Or

Would you prefer something like picking Penei Sewell OT, and Landon Dickerson C, with Darnold at QB? What could Darnold do with a stellar line and a new HC?

JohnnyP123456 and JetsKickAss like this.
  2. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

My take:

Pass on a Qb at #2
    Take Sewell, unless blown away with a good Trade for #2
    If so, move down, target Pitts over the WR’s.

Maybe take a qb who slips with other 1st/2nd/3rd.

ouchy likes this.
  3. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

I would love to get a haul for the pick. I’m not sure on any of the qbs and still think darnold could grow with a decent coach and some weapons. If there was another sure thing qb in the draft I’d want him but I don’t see one at this point.

WoodyHarrelson likes this.
  4. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

i like (not love) Wilson, but not enough at pick#2.
    If we ended up with Sewell, Rashod Bateman and either Etiene or Najee Harris with first 3 picks, I’d be pretty happy.

themorey and Red Menace like this.
  5. wellemann

wellemann Member

I would trade down with Atlanta if we can get their 1st round next year. They are in trouble with big contracts and if they draft a qb this year, they will be bad next year too.

So another top 5-10 pick in 2022. We would be loaded.

#5 wellemann, Jan 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm good with taking Sewell at #2 unless blown away with a boatload of premium picks. But I would take Najee Harris with my next pick. IMO he's a rare beast that can do it all, like McCaffery and stronger, and you can find a great WR later, as well as fill the OL and CB spots, maybe even the Edge with one of the premium picks gotten for trading back.

JetsKickAss and Leicester Jet like this.
  7. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

The proposed trades mentioned on TGG have had the Jets falling back to 11th or 14th in the draft. That is TOO FAR for me.

If we do fall back that far, then I want MORE DRAFT CHART VALUE since the odds of impact players at lower levels drops off alot (I know you have more chances, but I value quality over quantity).

I have a much lesser problem not using the #2 pick if we drop only a few spots and stay Top 5 or even Top 10.

Of course, this all is predicated on JoeD not liking ANY of the QB's better than Year 4 of Sam (and the new HC also).....and while I like Sewell and like the idea of another great OL....I am not sold on taking him #2 overall. Rather try and squeeze Cincy or another team and maybe play them off against one another.

ouchy and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Pretty much my take.

I want Sewell but we need interior OL more so Sewell would be kind of a luxury - one that could pay off though. But with the Bills and Phins rebuilding with young talent so effectively I really feel like we need a quantity of high round picks these next two years. Otherwise we are just going to be their door mats - and for a long time.

Let the trading begin.

9. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Fields has just skyrocketed the 2 pick.

RG3 type haul to pry it loose now

10. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I would trade down as I would be happy ending up with any of these players:

Trevor Lawrence QB
    Penei Sewell OT
    Gregory Rosseau DE/OLB
    Ja'Marr Chase WR
    Jaylen Waddle WR
    Zach Wilson QB
    Justin Fields QB
    Micah Parsons LB

Br4d and JetsKickAss like this.
  11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

No GM that knows how to run the draft is going to give what it will take to get to the second overall pick.

We as fans know how valuable it has become, if I’m a GM I’m not even going to consider giving up the type of draft capital it will take to get it. I would stay put and let the board come to me, take whoever falls to me and move on.

12. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Mac did that and it didn’t pan out... It’s time we take an aggressive approach. Move up! Yes move up! The 2nd overall is worth more now and if there is still a chance we can get Lawrence we do it.

13. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

#1) Trade down if you can get a huge haul.

#2) If not, take Wilson. Take Fields if there are off the field issues with Wilson.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  14. JetsKickAss

Yes, the proposed trades had the value of that pick -- about 2600 points -- going for about 2700-2900 with about HALF of that total deferred past 2021.

Now ?

I think we will get at least 3200 to 3500 points with about 2000 points in 2021 and the rest deferred.

Rockinz likes this.
  15. JetsKickAss

And if your owner tells you to get a QB ?

If your owner says you need to get me a QB that can play here for 10 years or I'm getting a new HC/GM ?

Because you can tell the Owner...what ? Don't worry, we'll be 4-12 or worse in 2021 and there will be 1 or 2 or 3 QB's for us to choose at the 2022 draft ? That no other teams will go 3-13 or 2-14 or 1-15 and grab them ?

If these GMs or Coaches have 5 or 6 years left on their contrats, maybe. Otherwise, they want to keep their jobs and will overpay a bit to get a franchise QB if the taking is there.

16. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

I think my ship has begun to sail on taking Sewell. Either take a QB or trade back

17. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I'm feeling the same way

It seems every draft we hear the same things about can't miss QBs, FQBs, etc. and then a couple of seasons later the team that took that FQB is looking again. See it more times than we see one of those FQBs actually make it. Darnold has not had the coaching he needs, nor the team around him so why not get a haul for #2 to fill in a bunch of other holes and then in another season or 2 if Darnold has not pulled it together then you pick up another QB who steps into a great situation.

Out of 30 1st round QBs picked last decade maybe 7-8 might be considered FQB and of those 7-8 a couple aren't even with their poriginal team which would make you say they were not true FQBs.

Br4d and Red Menace like this.
  18. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

Additionally I have more faith in JD drafting with a horde of picks than I have felt with any recent gm for the Jets. That does factor into my preference.

Leicester Jet, themorey and Skicats like this.
  19. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

To address your hypothetical, if the owner tells you to do it then you do it, however I as GM would present the situation to him, like Macagnan probably did with Darnold situation.

Owner has to accept consequences of not having very much draft capital to build the team with and it will hurt development of QB.

Joe D has 5 years on his contract, has had one good draft so far. I don’t believe Joe D is going to make the same mistakes that Macagnan made, he’s not thinking like the fans are.

He has a blueprint for building a team and he’s going to stick to it. Joe D is probably telling Chris Johnson that a good QB can be found later in the round and giving him examples of teams that used that philosophy.

The irony of all this is that the Chiefs are the only ones that have actually traded up and benefited from getting a FQB, everyone else who has done it has failed miserably with their QBs. The teams that kept their position on the draft board, and do not reach have come out ahead the majority of the time.

#19 Red Menace, Jan 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  20. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

No to rosseau. He’s not an edge rusher.