Urban Myer to the Jags could be gold for the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I read this article about Urban considering pro football and if he were to go to the Jags he’d take Fields and swap picks with the Jets for Lawrence. It’s probably a pipe dream but the rumour does have a logical base.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  2. Rockinz

3. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Not happening,

Only way Lawrence to Jags isn't happening is if TL gets doubts about the health of the franchise and asks them to trade pick--

Even at that, I wouldn't give up a haul to move up for him.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It has no logical base for the Jets, as the writer says (For a significant haul). Why would the Jets do that? If the Jags want Fields, take Fields and let Lawrence drop to the Jets. If they are saying Meyer is cool with either, then that is fine, but he would definitely take Lawrence in the end.

5. Rockinz

If we have a glimmer of a chance to trade up for Lawrence we do it no questions asked. Not wanting to do it boggles my mind. Most FQBs get traded up for to begin with but when you got a shot at one of the best prospects of all time! And some team is dumb enough to do it?! Make it happen!!!

6. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

interesting notion, but I would be STUNNED if Meyer is coaching anywhere next year. I think he is pretty much done.

Royal Tee, jetstopgun and hornblower like this.
  7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You are absolutely right!

It is a pipe dream.

jetstopgun and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

This makes no sense. If Jax says they want to swap picks, the Jets just say no and then Jax takes who they want which the article implies is Fields, leaves Lawrence available. What would Jax do? Trade the pick to someone else.

9. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

If he went to the Jags he would surely take Lawrence. Any other speculation is just to grab headlines.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It'd be cool but it's not he has any connection to Fields to want to make that move other than obviously being at Ohio State and talking to Ryan Day about him. I don't believe he attempted to recruit him or anything like that.

Either way - not happening. Lawrence is representative of so much more than football in terms of marketing and drawing fans and what not. He's hauled as the best since Luck and it's not debatable like Darnold and the 2018 class was.

REVISion, jetstopgun and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Nobody is choosing Fields over Lawrence unless they get a haul for the swap. We'd be stupid to offer a haul for the pick and the Jags would be monumentally stupid to pass Lawrence without one.

What is important is that Fields kicks some butt in the playoffs today and makes the second pick more valuable. Winning and going to the champ game would also be helpful. Go Fields and OSU.

12. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

ouchy. You should post more often man. You are exactly right. I bet some good money on Clemson so that it is a consolation prize for me if Ohio State loses the game. Ohio State winning this game with Fields playing lights out is the best outcome for the Jets to be honest.

13. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Jets would have to call their bluff....They can’t go below us because of the threat the Jets take Fields at 2. I wouldn’t give them anything

Doesnt matter though they’re taking Lawrence

Baumeister and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure if they interview Meyer it will be discussed then. If Meyer says anything other than TL is the pick he wants, out the door he goes and that's that...

The_Darksider and Freddy Mondo like this.
  15. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Yeah it kinda doesn’t make sense. I think the best they could get is our 2nd rounder as a “insurance” that we would get Lawrence. Depending on the situation, Fields might not make it past top 3. If they really think Fields is better than the rest then you take him there. Getting cute with the pick would be a disaster if that’s who they want.

16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Well in that scenario it is possible, if they want fields then they can shop the 1 for a TL hungry team below the Jets.

That isn't actually outlandish (apart from the not taking TL part)

Edit stupidly I was thinking they would still pick #2 it has been a long day lol

17. Rockinz

Ya of course.. a lot of teams will be interested if they made it available.. think about it

18. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Strategically doesn’t make sense for us to trade up from 2 unless they didn’t have a preference between the available QBs, in which case they have a bigger problem, having the most valuable asset in the draft and no idea what to use it on.

If they have a preference they run the risk of losing their preferred QB to ANYONE they trade the pick to, including us. If they trade below us they increase that risk exponentially, with the possibility of only their 3rd favorite QB on the board. You don’t do that with these kinds of prospects on the board unless you truly don’t need them.

They’re not trading down.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

the owners of the Jags are into show business: they own AEW.

take out the name of Lawrence and replace it with Namath
    take out the name of Khan and replace it with Werblin.

the owner will dictate using the pick on Lawrence, no matter whom the GM is and/or the head coach is.

namath " it's a sport"
    mrs. werbiln: "it's show business, joseph"

20. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

But then the Jags don't really want Fields, take that out of the equation and this whole thread is moot.

NCJetsfan likes this.