#2 Overall Pick Draft Options: 12-27-20

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsKickAss, Dec 27, 2020.

?

Assume the Jets have the #2 overall pick. As of TODAY, what do you want to do:

1. Pick a QB at #2

19 vote(s)
    37.3%
  2. Pick a non-QB at #2

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. Trade down and grab a QB a bit lower, picking up a draft pick or two

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  4. Trade down and grab a non-QB a bit lower, picking up a draft pick or two

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  1. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

I told you.....LSD. :D

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. JetsKickAss

Keep this in mind: Indy moved from #3 to #6. They got probably the same person they wanted at #3 and they were 99% sure they'd get either a perenial All-Pro in Quenton Nelson or a killer edge rusher in Bradley Chubb.

We're moving from #2 -- higher than #3 !! -- down to 15th if we took that SanFran proposed trade. 15th means we have NO IDEA who will be around but it's almost certainly NOT a difference-maker unless we get very lucky. We're drafting in Darren Lee Territory -- and we know how that worked out.

3 to 6 is one thing.

2 to 15 or anything like that is another.

I want tons more draft capital if we are moving to around 10 and preferably 7-8 or so.

Mid-teens won't cut it. You can't tell Jets fans they're going from Trevor Lawrence at #1.... to anybody but Trevor at #2.... to whoever is left in the mid-teens. :D

3. JetsKickAss

OK, that's 1,730 current points plus 1,092 next year points in the 28th slot (1,675 if they are 15th). So about 2,800 points at worst and maybe 3,400 points at best.

I don't see it as compelling unless as NCJ says JoeD is forced to do this because he sees nobody worthy of the #2 pick (I can't believe that personally). We are giving up a super-valuable currency -- and probably for a QB -- so JoeD better ask himself why someone else sees Fields or Wilson as their ticket to the SB and not us.

The drop from #2 to #11 (in this case) is really steep. I'm not even sure SanFran would give up all 3 picks next year. They may want to give up picks in 2022 and even 2023 -- and I wouldn't be averse to that (maybe they have another bad year and the pick is Top 10 or even Top 5 like Houston/Miami).

Nice, but again.....that drop from #2 to #11 is a killer. Sure-fire starter at #2 to questionable chances down the line.

Then WE'D be overpaying to move up, assuming someone would.

Teams WITHOUT QB's -- we actually have one with Darnold, at least right now -- will not trade down. Just ask Jax.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. JetsKickAss

Cincinatti will probably pay up a bit and since they fell out of the #3 slot, they may still be high enough for the Jets (vs. SanFran) and then not have to overpay later in 2021 and in 2022/2023.

They just lost their QB this year, a rookie who beat out Trevor Lawrence in the championship last year, and all they are talking about is protecting him.

Try and sell the media and fans on a WR, DL, LB, or RB in that slot when Sewell goes to another team.

Cincy wants Sewell.....the Munoz talk is ALL OVER their message boards.

5. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Hopefully with some adjustments and weapons such as Pitts, a running game, and some better coaching they won’t need to trade up for a QB.

6. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Bellicheck built from the lines out , dine and oline

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think the right team could make a big package for Sewell if he shows up at the combine and looks like the Penei Sewell from 2018 and 2019.

That said I expect the Jets to just take Sewell at this point. LT is a cornerstone position and RT is important also. The Jets have the Seahawks pick at a likely spot of 27 or 28 and they have the 34 also. That gives them good sniping picks at a QB and/or WR.

If somebody offered a top 10 1st and 2nd this year and a 1st next year I am sure the Jets would accommodate them but I think the odds on that kind of package are low at this point.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. Br4d

This is true but without Tom Brady Belichik would be a 68 year old coordinator somewhere hoping for a shot at an interim job before he retired.

KurtTheJetsFan and REVISion like this.
  9. Dax89

Dax89 Active Member

The 11-5 2008 Patriots featuring Matt Cassel would disagree with you.

10. Br4d

Belichik would never have gotten to 2008 without Brady.

5-13 with Bledsoe.

zace likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's less than the 49ers trade I posted from the mock draft by Crabbs of thedraftnetwork. That would not be a haul.

How would SF give the Jets the #11 pick, did they drop from #14 to #11?

12. NCJetsfan

They'd have to get very lucky to find a QB lower or for Sam to work out.

mrjet80 likes this.
  13. A team that didnt even make the playoffs.

14. mrjet80

15. mrjet80

Yes in the mock I saw the 49ers had #11. With that pick the Jets took Pitts the FL TE and with #26 they took that SC CB Horn? I think his name was. 2 instant starters plus an extra kinda high second rounder and wound up with the three first rounds next year plus an extra second and third. I personally thought it was a good deal IF JD doesn’t want a new QB.

16. JetsKickAss

That #2 pick we have is SUPER-VALUABLE. It's not like the 3rd or 4th or 5th picks.....if someone is giving us the 11th or 14th pick, we need lots of other picks to make up for the slide.

Br4d and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

I'd trade back with Cincy to #5 and pick up their 2nd rounder and maybe a 2022 2nd. Then take Chase or Smith with the pick.

Jets traded 3 2nd rounders to move up 3 spots, but that was for a QB. The Bengals might not pay the same price for an LT. A 2021 2nd and 2021 3rd or 2022 2nd would be a fair price.

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That's nowhere near enough. It would take at least another 1st rounder this year, and maybe a 2nd or 3rd this year, and a 2nd or 3rd next year. A #2 pick gives a team any player - except TL - they want...that's a LOT of value.

JetsKickAss and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

I disagree on both accounts. I don't think it's nearly enough and Cincy doesn't want to lose Burrow to injury again. He needs to be protected and Sewell is the best option to do that. In their situation, LT is more important than QB alone, since they already have their QB and they need to keep him upright and healthy.

20. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

The Jets oline may be the worst unit on the team. JD signed a bunch of backups and the oline was worse this year vs last year.

Yes, Becton showed promise, but the rest of the line are not good including Fant.

Jets rank 30th in both run and pass blocking.

Conversely here’s the top 5 teams as far as pass blocking:
    GB
    Browns
    Arizona
    Bills
    KC

You get a new Qb and don’t improve the Oline and
    it’s going to be the same thing

Jets number 1 priority is hiring a coach, but upgrading the oline is the next highest priority.

#80 SoylentGreen, Dec 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2021