Wilson is legit. But will #2 be too much?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Longsuffering88, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Sign me up from what I see, with a legit offense HC and OC he can win many many games.... playing the actual modern NFL QB game.. (Mahomes, Allen, Murray, and not quite Jackson etc)

but it’s too much stress to take at 2....

Though burrow and Herbert sure proved many wrong.

Argh

nothing is easy for us

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  2. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

From what I know about the NFL draft at least one of these non-Lawrence QBs will raise his stock enough to warrant consideration in the top 3.

Trevor Lawrence is the rare prospect where there are no holes to poke at. He may not end up being the hall of famer the media is projecting him to be, but his floor is incredibly high. I think that’s where he separates himself from the others.

Jets79 and Noam like this.
  3. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

If he’s legit, you take him. QB is never one to gamble with if you like what you see.

Snatch Catch, Jets79, JetBlue and 6 others like this.
  4. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

If you think he’s legit then you take him where you can. It’s not like last year with Mim and 4 other receivers on the board.

5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

If you think he is the QB the number 2 is not too much.

If you think he is good but not TL then number 2 is too high and you take your chance he drops but 21st or so is a long wait if you want him.

I am unsure about the rest of them after TL tbh and I am now wondering if we roll with Darnold and see what Morgan is like after trading down for a large bag of goodies.

Fucking Jets, picking 1 was going to be no trouble not a decision to make but now it is laced with decisions and potential fuck ups all over the place.

If we dont pick Wilson or Fields it is a guarantee they will be NFL legendary QBs lol

#5 K'OB, Dec 30, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  6. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

If we pass on him and he turns out great, it will bite us in the rear end for 15 years like Marino

#6 matt robinson 17, Dec 30, 2020
  7. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Hopefully, Joe Douglas makes the right decision. I'll let you know in a couple of years.

8. baalworship

baalworship Active Member

Wilson is legit. My view is that if Wilson ends up in a better situation than Lawrence, Wilson will be considered the better QB. I put Lawrence ahead but it's not the drop off in 2019 between Murray and a Daniel Jones.

WoodyHarrelson likes this.
  9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If the #2 pick is too much then he's not legit.

10. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

No. If the Jets think he could be a strong FQB, take him at 2. Don't take chances with the most important position in sports.

11. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

If Douglas and whoever we get as HC agree that Wilson is the future QB, you take him at 2.

No need to get cute and trade down and risk him going elsewhere. We missed out on Lawrence, can't miss out on getting wilson since we legitimately have our pick at him and no one can impede that except us.

12. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

These QB's from these Western (air raid) schools scare the shit out of me. The whole system and their makeups are so different it's hard to get a good read on them. This kid just doesn't do it for me at all. It's like a HS kid beating the shit out of 7th graders.

I guess we're saddled with "Average" Sam and an OL at #2. How uninspiring. This franchise loves being mediocre. No splashes...ever.

ouchy, Noam and JetsKickAss like this.
  13. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

TL is such a good prospect it makes the other guys look worse.

If Fields plays well, he probably will be the pick if we go Qb. He’s going to look and sound the part more than anyone else in this draft (other than TL).

Wilson will need to blow the Jets away in workouts, meetings (was a report he was Rosen like douchey so have to see) + will have to see his medicals - shoulders. I like his film.

In the end, Jets likely pass on qb and take Sewell.

Everyone likes to say Fant played well, but he was in the lower half pass blocking and (63rd out 65) in run blocking.

Becton has a lot of potential and flashed a whole bunch but it’s possible his best position is RT.

14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I think it's becoming increasingly important that a HC/OC have their offensive system play to their QB's strengths. Whether that's passing over the middle, throwing deep, short routes, whatever it may be. I think more and more QB's are coming out of college ready to be decent NFL QB's but it's paramount that coaches in the NFL don't try to fit a square peg into a round hole.

15. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Gutless report with no name, vehemently denied by all the BYU Coaches

PJ4Ever and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

This bolded part I do agree with. Systems from college are becoming more prevalent across the NFL now. I definitely think the system plays a big part in a QB's success and chances are better now than previously. That said, I still have serious reservations about this kid but I'd at least be willing to see what he could do in the right system (right HC/OC). We really need to land a HC A fucking SAP.

jetstopgun and REVISion like this.
  17. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I agree 100%, we need a new Head Coach asap so that we can get this ship moving in the right direction.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

What if you 'love' what you see from one QB, and 'like' what you see from four or five other Qbs? If you can't get the one you love, should you use a #2 overall pick on one of the four or five QBs you 'like'? Or trade down for more picks, then take any one of the 'like' QBs a bit later in the draft?

After watching JoeD in the last draft, he seemed to put a bunch of WRs in a 'like' bucket, which allowed him to trade down at the top of the 2nd round and he still got one of them (Mims). Joe didn't fall in love with a specific WR he just HAD to have. Joe was fine tossing them all in one bucket, then trade down as long as he can still get one.

He'll probably do the same thing with QBs (after Trevor). He'll put 4 or 5 QBs in his 'like' bucket, then trade down as far as he can and still get one of them. He might figure since he's building the team from the ground up anyway, he can build it however he wants to accommodate whatever QB he ends up with.

But I agree with you that we need to draft a do-over QB this draft.

19. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Same thing happened with Geno Smith.
    Report came out and all his coaches denied it pre-draft.

I was watching an interview and the one guy did say he had a scout tell him the story was true about Wilson + he came across as an entitled prick....BUT this was 1-2 years ago so he was younger, maybe has grown since then.

Can Grande likes this.
  20. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

If you like a QB and you intend to make him your FQB then no pick is too high. If you hesitate on the pick then you really aren't in love with the guy enough to make him your QB1. I feel Wilson...the top rated QB of this class...is well worth the pick. I would be very upset if we go Fields over Wilson. But it's all what the new CS thinks of the QB situation. If a CS thinks that Darnold is the man for the job & they can get the best out of him, then I'm ok with it. JD, don't force feed a QB on our new CS. I have faith in JD...this is his team now. I'm sure the first question that will be asked during the interviews is " what would your plan be at QB...who do you like & why ", Wilson, Fields, Darnold or whoever. This team has to be on the same page with ALL decisions. No more Gase / Mac bullshit of the HC likes the guy but the CS doesn't. JD RITE THE SHIP.

#20 BudJet, Dec 30, 2020