Connect the dots and Wink!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I think our next coach is going to be Wink Martindale. JD knows him from Baltimore and Wink has run one of the best defences in the NFL 2 years in a row. By not getting Trevor Lawrence the need for an offensive coach has definitely wavered. To compete in the division with Allen and in the conference with Mahomes we don’t have that elite franchise QB so we need to become a defensive powerhouse to keep games close. I also believe the link to CJ Mosley will help bring the linebacker back to the team and bolster our D.

2. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

I would definitely not be surprised if he does end up getting the job. Players absolutely love him.

But, I definitely think this hire would be a very hard/tough sell for JD/Ownership to the fanbase

3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

A game show host?

papapump, jixxjr, Ralebird and 5 others like this.
  4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I think the need for an offensive-minded coach might be even greater now that we won't be getting Lawrence.

5. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

likely doesn't matter, we'll be rinsing and repeating in a few years.

Royal Tee, westiedog1 and mrmajix like this.
  6. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I would love this hire. I don't really have a preference for offensive v. defensive coach (or ST/positions coach for that matter). The Jets should be looking to hire someone who can be a good head coach, not coordinator. If the players love him, he can rally a team and manage the gameflow--that's what I care about.

7. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I have no issue with a defensive HC, provided 1) he selects offensive staff well and believes in truly developing the QB, whoever that may be, and the O in general; and 2) doesn't believe that his D can win games and all the O has to do is not make mistakes.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree 100% with this, but I'm still averse to hiring yet another coordinator as a HC. I much prefer someone who has been a successful HC and knows how to be a CEO of the team. The only HC with NFL experience who might be available right now that I'm aware of is Jim Harbaugh, and I'm not a big fan because of his abrasive personality and questions about how he'd do in NY and can he work with Douglas. So that leaves going to the college ranks which I'm okay with if they can find the right guy.

I won't completely rule out a DC or OC like Martindale or Daboll, or a couple of the others, but people really underestimate the learning curve of becoming a HC.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Hope not. He's the king of no halftime adjustments. I'll pass on a guy that continues to all out blitz Patrick Mahomes.

And not for anything but that defense is loaded with talent. It makes calling defense a lot easier when you have two top ten cover corners and guys that force turnovers like the Ravens do.

I'm not against a head coach that comes from the defensive side. I'm just not a fan of Martindale.

papapump and IDFjet like this.
  10. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

This team has been anemic on offense for so long, we need to get that shit right eventually

11. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Not a fan of this idea to be honest.

barfolomew, SOJAZ and zace like this.
  12. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I think we need a coach that oversees all aspects of the team. Not just another hot coordinator. That hasnt worked for us.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

13. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

What we need is a CEO head coach who can oversee two coordinators who are experts in their craft while the HC oversees the entire team and works to set a new culture for the franchise. Enough with this business of having to hire someone from one side of the ball or the other.

Noam, IDFjet, zace and 1 other person like this.
  14. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I would bet good money that our next coach is Doug Pederson. Not sure how I feel about it, but I feel strongly that will be the case if the Eagles lose to Washington on Sunday.

15. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

That would be the "perfect" capper to this absolutely pointless season. It'll be similar to the Gase hiring in that we can all see from the outset that it'll be a disaster, but Christopher Johnson can, in his mind, justify it to the fanbase by pointing to that Super Bowl that Nick Foles carried him to.

16. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

After witnessing the regression of Sam and also Wentz - that would be a hard NO for me, dawg. (read that in your best Randy Jackson voice)

SOJAZ and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  17. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

As Rex said, we need an all’s round coach. Not one side or nothing. Someone everyone gets behind. No QB guru.

18. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Yeah I hear you.
    But since he built a super bowl winner with JD a few years ago, that's the horse I'd put my money on if he's out there. I'm not sold on the guy either ... but who knows what JD's options are going to look like? To be seen ...

19. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

If we are going with coaches with Gameshow names

I would have went with the beloved Alex Trebek

since he can’t my next best choice is Steve Harvey

love me some family feud. He’s the best since Dawson

20. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

LOL...this from a guy who only coached the D... he is an absolute blow heart is a failure as a HC. Gis opinion has creditability in my book then BB saying that Adam G. is a good FB coach.